Best guess when hiring will happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Best guess when hiring will happen

Post by the-minister31 »

Of course I've heared nothing but rumors, but I've heared Jazz tries to get everyone back on board before the summer, because they think things will pick up in the spring. I'd bet the biggest bottleneck is the E175 training with A LOT of initials. Good news is they seem to be on schedule for now.

Does not mean they will need new hires, but it's definitely one step closer !

I wonder who'd get trained on an other type instead of their awarded one? Q4 and RJ guys being delayed training if they got the 175? D8 will get trained first, then what? E175 guys on DSC?
---------- ADS -----------

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I still don’t believe the company can afford to wait too long for hiring. I looked at the spring and summer schedule and the express flying is back to almost pre covid level. The latest bid showed a lot of vacancies. They need to move, regardless of AC attrition.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

At full capacity for training it will be at least the fall before we could get any new hires into training. That would be very optimistic.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Out of the initial 400+ training events from the last bid, is there away of seeing how many are left?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RegionalPilot wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:14 pm I still don’t believe the company can afford to wait too long for hiring. I looked at the spring and summer schedule and the express flying is back to almost pre covid level. The latest bid showed a lot of vacancies. They need to move, regardless of AC attrition.
The latest Jazz equipment bid showed zero unfilled vacancies.

The January Jazz equipment bid has been officially cancelled.

Jazz training system running at 100% capacity for the next 9 months.

No Jazz hiring can be accommodated until Fall 2022.

Prediction: AC will commence hiring Fall 2022, but it will be at a much reduced pace compared to pre-COVID era hiring. Majority of vacancies will be filled by Jazz candidates. Jazz may backfill vacancies internally (left seat). Jazz will evaluate need for hiring based on reduced winter schedule and if there is a need to immediately replace right seat vacancies. With a 48 month type freeze for new-hires (except upgrade), Jazz might have to waive the freeze to allow internal right seat movement, or hire OTS.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

rudder wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:13 am
RegionalPilot wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:14 pm I still don’t believe the company can afford to wait too long for hiring. I looked at the spring and summer schedule and the express flying is back to almost pre covid level. The latest bid showed a lot of vacancies. They need to move, regardless of AC attrition.

Prediction: AC will commence hiring Fall 2022, but it will be at a much reduced pace compared to pre-COVID era hiring. Majority of vacancies will be filled by Jazz candidates. Jazz may backfill vacancies internally (left seat). Jazz will evaluate need for hiring based on reduced winter schedule and if there is a need to immediately replace right seat vacancies. With a 48 month type freeze for new-hires (except upgrade), Jazz might have to waive the freeze to allow internal right seat movement, or hire OTS.
I concur.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Do you think everyone will be back before the summer or some will sit until september/october? Do you think they will prioritize to train everyone on DSC first or seniority will prevail?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

the-minister31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:04 pm
Do you think everyone will be back before the summer or some will sit until september/october? Do you think they will prioritize to train everyone on DSC first or seniority will prevail?
Training dates (month of training) were all included in the Final Bid Award.

If you are at Jazz, the answer to your questions is in the bid result. JAZ ALPA granted a let to allow the company to train pilots awarded vacancies out of seniority (if they are already current on a non-retired fleet type).

Nobody is getting the summer off with pay.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

no one will get the summer off, assuming the embraer initial is ready by then.

edit: just saw previous posts saying it's approved, the sim is not.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

rob-air wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 am no one will get the summer off, assuming the embraer initial is ready by then.

?

There is a scheduled conversion for the AC/CAE E190 simulator later in 2022 but that does not preclude E175 initials and recurrent training using that device.

Last edited by rudder on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

rob-air wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 am no one will get the summer off, assuming the embraer initial is ready by then.

Do you know why?

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

the rumor has it that the sim will need to be converted to a 175 and set up with the software thats currently in the plane before initials.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

rob-air wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:10 am the rumor has it that the sim will need to be converted to a 175 and set up with the software thats currently in the plane before initials.
Pretty well every former SKV pilot did their initial on that sim and TC did not seem to have any issues.

I do understand that there is an FMS software upgrade that will be required and is planned at some point during 2022.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

I know I am one, but seems like tc has an issue with it now.
Keep in mind thats only a rumor. Going to the sim next week will try to investigate on the matter.

theflyinghotdog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by theflyinghotdog »

-

Last edited by theflyinghotdog on Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theflyinghotdog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by theflyinghotdog »

-

Last edited by theflyinghotdog on Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

theflyinghotdog wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 am
Side note when SKV pilots did there initial they did a PPC on the 190 then did an online conversion course so technically they had a 190/175 type rating. Transport only issued 175 PPC stickers but they would issue 190 stickers if asked. I know of guys who got them to head over seas.
Unless I am mistaken, there is only one TC type endorsement for all E types - E170.

I believe FAA type rating shows as ERJ-170/ERJ-190 and covers all derivatives.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Let’s assume AC starts hiring in Fall, 1 class per month. With what you see on the bid, is that enough to trigger hiring for Jazz right away (filing 1 departure to AC by 1 new hire)? Or we could only see the first ground schools happening in 2023?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm

Let’s assume AC starts hiring in Fall, 1 class per month. With what you see on the bid, is that enough to trigger hiring for Jazz right away (filing 1 departure to AC by 1 new hire)? Or we could only see the first ground schools happening in 2023?
I think AC hiring in the fall is very optimistic. There are still 300 guys without a recall, and the last of the first 300 still doesn't have a training date for awhile. With things starting to slow down around here again, I'd wager that all current pilots will be back on property by spring of 2023. At which point, outside hiring may commence.

The 2022 seniority list was published yesterday, movement upward was ~90 spots or so this year, so not a ton of guys retired or resigned.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:43 am
RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm

I think AC hiring in the fall is very optimistic. There are still 300 guys without a recall, and the last of the first 300 still doesn't have a training date for awhile. With things starting to slow down around here again, I'd wager that all current pilots will be back on property by spring of 2023. At which point, outside hiring may commence.

The 2022 seniority list was published yesterday, movement upward was ~90 spots or so this year, so not a ton of guys retired or resigned.
I disagree, yes things have slowed down but the world is starting to move past Covid, I think things will be very busy in not long. If AC waits till next spring to have everyone back we will definitely be behind the 8 ball.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”