Calculating TAS (IATRA)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Vladimir613
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calculating TAS (IATRA)

Post by Vladimir613 »

Hi guys,

Could someone please explain how to calculate TAS for such a question:

Given CAS, flight level, indicated temp -12 and temp increase of 11

Given that this is in context of IATRA, I'm sure it will be a FL..high altitude. And I'm confused because would I have to calculate EAS first? If so, how?

And then, why the temp change? Does that play into calculating EAS because the standard pressure is not standard or is it a trick?

Finally from EAS to TAS...

Just a sidenote, the level from CPL to IATRA is a massive leap in knowledge, most of it self study (at least has been for me), and this is one point I can't seem to research properly. I appreciate your help. Hope everyone is flying these days.
---------- ADS -----------

GooseDriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Calculating TAS (IATRA)

Post by GooseDriver »

I think you are trying to go too deep on this question. You will not be able to calculate EAS without density, airspeed, etc. And that said, you will never be expected to calculate CAS into EAS by hand. It would be done using a calculator or supplied graphs, and even then I doubt you would be asked.

So for the most part, unless otherwise indicated, assume IAS=CAS=EAS. (But still understand the definitions of each). To calculate a TAS, correct the IAS for 2% per 1000’ and call it a day.

Last edited by GooseDriver on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Calculating TAS (IATRA)

Post by co-joe »

When I wrote it you required the CR flight computer for a couple of questions like this and anything to do with RAT rise. Not sure if that's still a thing or if an electronic flight calc is allowed.

Return to “General Comments”