Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Encore interview request

Post by JBI »

Gear Jerker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 pm To clarify some of the comments about flow:

Prior to Covid, hundreds of Pilots flowed from Encore to WestJet, and that is very much the stated plan going forward. All pilots on the WPSL will be recalled by this summer, meaning that any additional pilots needed will come from a combination of flow and hiring. Internally, we are told repeatedly that there will be flow this year, although nothing tangible is currently known.

Whoever feels most confident holding a crystal ball and telling us what will unfold within the world, within aviation, and then specifically within the WestJet group and pilot seniority in the next little while is welcome to do so.

Pre Covid, average flow time was around the 3 year mark. Like everything else in the world, this has obviously been impacted by the pandemic. The actual amount of flow will always be a combination of WS crewing needs, and how much WR can flow senior captains and members of the training department without crippling the operation. It has always been this way.

It's a regional airline and it's not perfect, but it's an awful lot better than any job I ever had in my life previously. I've been able to pay off all my student debt, buy my first house, become a very active investor, and travel more than I ever imagined. Work wise, there are good and bad days, but without question the good have outnumbered the bad. I can't even imagine coming here at 2000 hours, or 1000 hours, let alone some of the fortune 250hr guys at some point.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

GJ
The average flow time before COVID was closer to 5 years not 3. In 2016/2017 you did see some pilots flowing after 3 or 4 years at the Company, however, many came in with much higher time and the Company got their worth out of them as Captains.

Even before the exodus to Air Canada in late 2018 and 2019, the time at Encore before flow was increasing. I don't have numbers, but in 2019 it definitely felt like more Encore Captains were quitting and/or going to Air Canada or Transat than were flowing to mainline. In December 2019, the few pilots that were going to flow were 5 years in. IF flow opens up to mainline this year, the average flow time will be 6/7 years seniority.

Encore is a good place to work. But for most it won't be a career gig. Look very carefully at the WJ Group of Company's growth (hint: it's Swoop), the age of the pilots on the seniority list (hint: they're young), and then think about your long term goals. One of the biggest reasons I choose to come to Encore was because they had a good commuting policy. Thankfully I've since moved to YYC as the commuting policy is gone and the Company has no interest in replacing it.

I couldn't say whether it's better or worse than Jazz or Porter as I've never worked at those shops. I wouldn't call Encore a career dead-end, but it's also not necessarily the quickest way to a mainline job.
---------- ADS -----------

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

Thunder-Head wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm
Mountainwave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 pm
MrAviator19 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 pm

A few questions...

Did you do the virtual or in-person interview in YYC before Dec 2021?

When you say "employment package", is this a signed offer or just an information package?

When you were placed in the pool prior to COVID, did you already meet all their hiring requirements or was it a conditional offer?

Thanks.

I went through virtual, in-person and conditional offer (waiting to hit 1000 hr mark) stages in Aug-Sep 2019 and re-applied this time around and no online updates for me except "in progress" for nearly 2 months.

MrA

This time around I completed an online interview with three recruiters in December 2021.

The employment package is called the WestJet Encore Pilot Briefing Sheet with all the details/benefits of working for Encore.

In Feb 2020 when I was placed in the pool I met all the hiring requirements but I wasn't offered a ground school date or a job.

If I were you I would definitely try to reach out to Encore and let them know you applied and are interested. It would be worth emailing anyone who you were in contact with before COVID.

Good Luck!
What is your current status? Have they done a reference and criminal record check yet? If so have you heard from them since with next steps? And what was the time frame? I’m in a similar position as you and I’m just curious. Thanks!
Everything done. Now just waiting...

Thunder-Head
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thunder-Head »

Mountainwave wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:26 pm
Thunder-Head wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm
Mountainwave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 pm

This time around I completed an online interview with three recruiters in December 2021.

The employment package is called the WestJet Encore Pilot Briefing Sheet with all the details/benefits of working for Encore.

In Feb 2020 when I was placed in the pool I met all the hiring requirements but I wasn't offered a ground school date or a job.

If I were you I would definitely try to reach out to Encore and let them know you applied and are interested. It would be worth emailing anyone who you were in contact with before COVID.

Good Luck!
What is your current status? Have they done a reference and criminal record check yet? If so have you heard from them since with next steps? And what was the time frame? I’m in a similar position as you and I’m just curious. Thanks!
Everything done. Now just waiting...
I’m in the same boat, just waiting now.

hank998899
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hank998899 »

Officially got the PFO for the posting from last year… Was told by my internal source that they won’t be considering sub-1000’s until late this year or early 2023… Currently hiring ATPL’s and people around the 3000 hour mark

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

hank998899 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:51 am Officially got the PFO for the posting from last year… Was told by my internal source that they won’t be considering sub-1000’s until late this year or early 2023… Currently hiring ATPL’s and people around the 3000 hour mark
They need captain material as soon as possible and they have more than enough eligible applicants.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

With those hours I believe you will automatically be considered for Swoop FO, CPT if you got the TT and PIC turbine. Related to the Encore FO, operationally better for them to hire a mix of experience, staggers the flow to left seat and then to swoop/wj.... with 3000 hrs long term starting at Encore FO on the Q might not make the most sense $$$ wise but take what you get I guess during these times

Falcon7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Falcon7 »

MrAviator19 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:16 pm
RockSalty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 pm Did recruitment not reach out to you via email? I was in your position as well and they got in touch with me the day after the ad went up to get things moving. I haven't done the latest interview yet due to some personal stuff that came up so can't help with your questions sorry.
Just received the initial “FO posting open again, apply if interested” from the recruiter which was sent out as a mass email to all those that were in the program prior to Covid. Nothing specific as to the nature my individual standing in the process. But thanks for your response. What experience level are you at?

MrA
imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am Emails:

Video Interview Request: "Interview with WestJet" from interviews@hirevue.com
In Person Interview: "Pilot Interview Invite" from from system@successfactors.com
Offer of Employment: "WestJet Offer of Employment" from system@successfactors.com

You may get emails from the recruiting team as well, but the above emails were the ones that came from their recruitment management software.
Thanks for all that info. I’ll keep an eye out. Just trying to gage what experience level are you guys at to receive such a fast response? Also, how long did you roughly have to wait between each stage of the process?

MrA

What questions did you get in the hirevue interview?
Im doing the interview this week, if you please could help me with that thank you

Falcon7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Falcon7 »

YYZshill wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:50 pm
PIC26 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm Anyone here who applied recently Nov/Dec 2021 get a response yet?
finished digital interview beginning of jan, received email for Teams interview this week.
What questions did you get for the digital interview? Im doing mine this week if you could help me with that thank you.

Falcon7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Falcon7 »

Hey guys anyone could help with the Hirevue questions what to expect Im doing mine this week need few tips if possible.
Thanks

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Falcon7 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:25 pm What questions did you get in the hirevue interview?
Im doing the interview this week, if you please could help me with that thank you
Falcon7 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:29 pm What questions did you get for the digital interview? Im doing mine this week if you could help me with that thank you.
Falcon7 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 am Hey guys anyone could help with the Hirevue questions what to expect Im doing mine this week need few tips if possible.
Thanks
Eager much?

Falcon7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Falcon7 »

imjustlurking wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:37 pm
Falcon7 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:25 pm What questions did you get in the hirevue interview?
Falcon7 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:29 pm What questions did you get for the digital interview? Im doing mine this week if you could help me with that thank you.
Falcon7 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 am Hey guys anyone could help with the Hirevue questions what to expect Im doing mine this week need few tips if possible.
Thanks
Eager much?

Im in need of a job Im in a stage where I’ll take anything I get

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Nothing scary.
Why Encore?
Why a good fit?
What is your background?
How can you help the company?

Basically normal HR questions.

But are you unemployed or are you just willing to leave your current flying job for a 705?
Are you living close to Yyz or yyc? Commuting is not free anymore…

Falcon7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Falcon7 »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:03 pm Nothing scary.
Why Encore?
Why a good fit?
What is your background?
How can you help the company?

Basically normal HR questions.

But are you unemployed or are you just willing to leave your current flying job for a 705?
Are you living close to Yyz or yyc? Commuting is not free anymore…
Thank you so much for your help, Im a flight instructor and been doing it for 3 years. Im not far from YYZ.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Got a recent update saying they are considering 1500-2500 hr mark candidates only at the moment due to the enormous volume of applicants - Dont think that will change until things really pick up and all airlines are hiring at their pace to fill seats

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

PIC26 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am Got a recent update saying they are considering 1500-2500 hr mark candidates only at the moment due to the enormous volume of applicants - Dont think that will change until things really pick up and all airlines are hiring at their pace to fill seats
I’m at around 1230 hours with my As written and internal referral. Application status changed from “Thank you for your application” to “Your application is in progress” back in the end of January. Think I have a shot?

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

I hope you get that call! Just a matter of time...did you get any requests to do any assessments or anything?

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

PIC26 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:16 am I hope you get that call! Just a matter of time...did you get any requests to do any assessments or anything?
Thanks, and no no requests yet just says “In progress”

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

maverick12 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 am
PIC26 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am Got a recent update saying they are considering 1500-2500 hr mark candidates only at the moment due to the enormous volume of applicants - Dont think that will change until things really pick up and all airlines are hiring at their pace to fill seats
I’m at around 1230 hours with my As written and internal referral. Application status changed from “Thank you for your application” to “Your application is in progress” back in the end of January. Think I have a shot?
That means that you are in a pool of people they want to interview.

When it comes down to it, no news is good news, and a congratulations is great news!

tincandriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tincandriver »

I’m in the same boat. I applied at 1040, A’s done ( 1150 now) with internal reference, they got an email to submit interal references and was done so at the end of November and my status was changed to “ in progress” on 26th jan and no update since. Please let me know if you get any update so I can estimate my number in line lol. Thanks

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:06 pm
That means that you are in a pool of people they want to interview.

When it comes down to it, no news is good news, and a congratulations is great news!
Thanks

Return to “WestJet Encore”