please advise with thanks

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

khaled9
Rank 0
Rank 0

please advise with thanks

Post by khaled9 »

Hi Guys
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by khaled9 on Thu May 26, 2022 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: please advise with thanks

Post by digits_ »

Your resume seems a bit long with long blobs of texts. Keep things brief, you can always expand on your experience during an interview. Especially the 'summary' you have on top is hard to read. Employers want to know what qualifications you have, so make sure that stands out right away.

It might be a good idea to mention what kind of work permit you have (PR, work permit, citizen) in Canada.

If you are targetting smaller operators -who would likely be interested in you-, then make up another resume limited to one page, and group all the airbus stuff together. They don't care about all the airliner details if you are applying to work on metros for example.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
khaled9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by khaled9 »

its so helpful , thanks for the advise , I will rewrite the Resume .

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

I appreciate your enthusiasm ..
but you have to "tone down" your credentials & abilities ..
1/ Are you looking for a mechanic or "Degree Engineer" role ?
- you must understand the person who will be your supervisor most likely will have a High school diploma & 14 month tech college certificate ..
and will not appreciate anyone of 'superior' academic credentials => remove all "degree Engineer" references
2/ Any job will start with basic snags, trouble-shooting & ramp manoeuvring. This is what they want to hear.
- if your target market is regional (or General) aircraft - they do not want to see A320 references .. assumption this guy is overqualified & too expensive.
3/ Note that anybody with a whirlwind of experience / ambition & aptitude will (Sooner then later) decide this job is to boring & move on. .. We have mechanics that move across the street for $0.50 more. Employers want steady, punctual & devoted employees. They not interested in "flash in the pants" talk up a storm - but useless people.
4/ Keep it simple / Who u are / basic job skills / how long at what companies / .. Foreign authorization is useless here in Canada .. the company will provide internal tests for their particular requirements.
.. short story .. Hired fellow 5 years ago. He had references & was Dir. Maint for this Charter company. Two days on the job - he was useless. Had to run him off. Tightened the Wheel nuts on so tight - wheels could not spin. Most "diatribe" on a resume is just "frosting" - need to know what & who u are!

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Getting that M2 license is what will help the most, but you should check out https://skyservice.com/careers/ since they have an airline division (maintenance for US carriers etc) as well as the corporate stuff. They are currently hiring an apprentices and licensed engineers in YYZ I see. Good luck and you can message me if you have any questions or want to see a copy of my resume etc so you can get a better idea of how to simplify your experience and make it easier to read. I'm not sure where you are actually living now, but they are also hiring at a number of other bases as well.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

If you live in Montreal Air Canada is hiring, but again you would need that license to qualify. https://careers.aircanada.com/jobs/7601 ... eer-cat-01

A lot of the bigger companies have automated job notifications that you can set up so you see any new posting that are near you etc. Just have to sign up to get them. Sometimes the job codes can be confusing, but for Air Canada for example, the Cat 1 designation is what you are looking for.

khaled9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by khaled9 »

Thanks for the advice

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nine sixteenths »

Regarding the CARs exam, the traditional study aid is CARs for the AME by Bill Fraser, however he’s recently passed and I’m not sure if the book remains available.

Other reference materials: your resume said you have completed ICS, so I’m going to assume they do a CARs course. That’s probably an excellent place to start. The curriculum should cover the material fairly well.

There’s also a refresher course that used to get offered at Stephenson, I’ve heard good things from people that went then took the exam. Good place to network a little too

khaled9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by khaled9 »

Thanks a lot these tips are so helpful .

Return to “Maintenance”