1971 C150 - High AAFT & Prop Strike (Repairs done) - Good Buy?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ogouda
Rank 0
Rank 0

1971 C150 - High AAFT & Prop Strike (Repairs done) - Good Buy?

Post by ogouda »

I'm considering a 1971 C150 listed for 50,000 CAD with the following specs and wanted to get input on whether you believe it can be a good buy:
- Airframe Total Time: 11,000 hours
- Damage History: Propeller Strike with another plane while engine running. Propeller scraped but not bent
- Engine: Time since major overhaul: 10 hours (after strike). Total engine time: 1700 hours.
- Propeller: Time since overhaul: 10 hours (after strike)
- Background: Aircraft is sold by AME who bought off his customer after prop strike so it's obvious the goal is a quick profit flip.
- Inspections: Annual inspection, airframe inspection and engine overhaul done and signed by the seller himself. Propeller was sent out.

I don't know much about the field and whether AMEs can cut corners when they're trying to sell an aircraft, but the pictures show mostly everything in the engine bay looking brand new. Two main questions here:

- What are the risks involved and how can I mitigate those? I don't want to incur a 25k bill after 200 hours.
- What is a decent value for a plane in this situation? I struggle to value aircrafts.

Thanks in advance for your help!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 1971 C150 - High AAFT & Prop Strike (Repairs done) - Good Buy?

Post by photofly »

If the engine has been overhauled by a reputable engine shop, its history wouldn't trouble me. If by a local AME that I don’t know in his hangar, I wouldn’t fly behind it.

You only have one engine, and the wrong kind of trouble won’t present you a repair bill, it will total your airframe and put you in hospital or worse.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Was the engine overhaul a full proper reset the clock overhaul? A bit weird that the 1700 hours is advertised as well.

11k is a lot. I personally wouldn't mind, but the price should reflect it

For 50k you could probably find something better.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Most AME's are knowledgeable and honorable professionals, but I'm leery of buying a plane from an AME. There's a conflict of interest between ensuring that the plane meets the standards of airworthiness and trying to get it out the door at a profit.

My father purchased a plane from an IA in the US. On import, they noted extensive and irreparable corrosion in all structural components. The plane was scrapped and eventually the aluminum was sold to a scrap metal dealer for $500.

What's he asking?

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

What's the paint like? What kind of avionics does it it have? Is the engine time continued after tear down for prop strike, or was it reset to 0. If the AME did the work himself, make sure you see the tag for the crankshaft. Was the crankshaft NDT'd or was it new. If an AME did all the work, then i would expect the log books to be complete and everything excellently documented. Regardless, you need a second independent AME to do a pre-purchase inspection. 50K seems high, but if its fresh paint, new windows, decent radio stack, 0 time engine and prop (I know you said 10 hrs), then its about right.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Have your own AME, preferably one who doesn't know the AME who did the rebuild, do a pre-buy inspection on it.

Still. Seriously. $50K for a 150 with 11000 hours on it? :rolleyes:

Return to “Maintenance”