Medical accident question

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Schaeferyak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Medical accident question

Post by Schaeferyak »

Had my routine medical the other day, and CAME asked if I've been in any aviation accidents. Didn't think of it at the time but surely the TCCA/investigation division etc would contact your CAME as part of the investigation process? If you are injured you are obliged to report it, but if you're injured during an aircraft accident I would assume the TCCA would already contact your CAME anyways.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Medical accident question

Post by digits_ »

Schaeferyak wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:05 am Had my routine medical the other day, and CAME asked if I've been in any aviation accidents. Didn't think of it at the time but surely the TCCA/investigation division etc would contact your CAME as part of the investigation process? If you are injured you are obliged to report it, but if you're injured during an aircraft accident I would assume the TCCA would already contact your CAME anyways.
How would TC contact 'your' CAME? You are entirely free to use a different one every year. Seems a bit impractical to send *all* injuries of all pilots to every CAME out there.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Schaeferyak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schaeferyak »

digits_ wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:43 am
Schaeferyak wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:05 am Had my routine medical the other day, and CAME asked if I've been in any aviation accidents. Didn't think of it at the time but surely the TCCA/investigation division etc would contact your CAME as part of the investigation process? If you are injured you are obliged to report it, but if you're injured during an aircraft accident I would assume the TCCA would already contact your CAME anyways.
How would TC contact 'your' CAME? You are entirely free to use a different one every year. Seems a bit impractical to send *all* injuries of all pilots to every CAME out there.
Thanks for the reply, surely after each medical exam the Doc sends the results over to the TCCA and that way they know who your CAME is?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Schaeferyak wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am
Thanks for the reply, surely after each medical exam the Doc sends the results over to the TCCA and that way they know who your CAME is?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question here.

There is no 'your CAME'. You can have a different one each time. They know who did your last medical. But if you have a medical on march 1st at CAME A , on august 1st you crash a plane and on february 25th you got to CAME B, there is no practical way CAME B would know about your accident.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

You’ll be lucky if the right and left hands of Transport Canada talk to each other within a year of your incident! Much easier to require you to disclose, and eventually it will all link up, but nothing moves slower than the speed of bureaucracy at TC!

I suppose, there would probably be some sort of trouble if they eventually realized that you had been in an accident, and then failed to disclose this on the next medical…

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TC isn't particularly concerned with accidents, as far as I know. Investigations are done by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada - a different government department - and they may or many not investigate any particular occurence, depending on whether they think there's anything new to learn (mostly for small airplanes there isn't, other than "another pilot screwed up", which is not a fruitful use of government time). If there was evidence of some kind of infraction then TC enforcement might be interested.

So the simplest way for TC to find out for sure is simply to ask you at your medical renewal.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Schaeferyak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schaeferyak »

digits_ wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:08 am

There is no 'your CAME'. You can have a different one each time. They know who did your last medical. But if you have a medical on march 1st at CAME A , on august 1st you crash a plane and on february 25th you got to CAME B, there is no practical way CAME B would know about your accident.
Yes , so say you go to CAME A on March 1st and have an accident on May 1st, my question/assumption would be that they would contact the CAME who did your last medical.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Schaeferyak wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:39 pm

Yes , so say you go to CAME A on March 1st and have an accident on May 1st, my question/assumption would be that they would contact the CAME who did your last medical.
How would a CAME that you saw in March know about anything that happened to you in May?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Schaeferyak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schaeferyak »

photofly wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:23 am
Schaeferyak wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:39 pm

How would a CAME that you saw in March know about anything that happened to you in May?
Well my thinking would be that the investigation division would contact the last CAME that you did your last medical as part of gathering information about the accident. Well that's at least the basis of my assumption.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There is no accident investigation division in Transport Canada. Accident investigations are the responsibility of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, which is not part of Transport Canada.

Transport Canada has enforcement officers who investigate regulatory infractions. They might be interested in your medical history I suppose.

Return to “Health & Fitness”