Shoe recommendation

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Shoe recommendation

Post by GoHomeLeg »

What's a durable all season uniform dress shoe or boot you recommend that won't get torn up in the flight deck? Something that will last a few years.

What brand and where did you get them?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by GoHomeLeg on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Shoe recommendation

Post by rudder »

Years ago my go-to shoe was Daks. There was an AC employee discount for shoes purchased at the clearance outlet. Daks is long gone after a distinguished 100+ year history (trademark was sold to a UK based company).

Now my shoe of choice is Johnson&Murphy. Lots of retail outlets in every major city (and in some airports). They have some great high end leather shoes. Not good for our work environment! But they have a lower grade leather model with a full neoprene sole. I wear them year round and get 2 years+ use before replacement. CDN price is $165. You can find same model in US on sale at $99.

If you are planning on walking through 6” of snow, these are not the shoes for you. But in a traditional airline environment they are perfect.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Blundstone dress boots are pretty comfy and look quite good.

Note: don't polish them until the factory polish wears off... Otherwise they will look like crap...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Try and avoid shoes with shanks...are flip flops an option. :rolleyes:

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I’ve bounced back between Ecco and Clarke’s. Both last long and are comfortable. I’ve been eyeing a pair of Thursday boots. My wife has a pair and loves them.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Doc Martens. Just don't use the white laces.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106860&hilit=shoes&start=75

I went with Ecco's in the summer, and Blundstones in the winter. So far I'm at 3 years on each with very little wear showing. Combined that's a solid $500 investment so not cheap. It's been worth it so far.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Blundstones with one caveat. The original soles were shite and cracked after a couple of years. I think that Blundstone may have corrected this since. Look online for the latest. It sounds like they outsourced and cheaped out on the soles a few years back but have perhaps since realized that a reputation for quality is easily destroyed and reversed course on being cheap on the soles.I had them re-soled once at Conti's (in YYC) and it lasted a couple of years so I took them back there and had the heavy duty Vibram sole put on. No problems at all. There are shanks so every once in a while when the CATSA folks turn down the gain on their metal detector you might set it off but mostly it's fine. No laces, the vibram sole is great out on the ramp in the slush, salt, de-ice fluid still dripping off the wing from the last spray.....you get the idea. They are a bit looser than the standard black shoes so if it's cold, they fit thicker socks easily. Uppers are still doing fine after a decade almost.

My 2 cents.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

rudder wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:48 pm Years ago my go-to shoe was Daks. There was an AC employee discount for shoes purchased at the clearance outlet. Daks is long gone after a distinguished 100+ year history (trademark was sold to a UK based company).

Now my shoe of choice is Johnson&Murphy. Lots of retail outlets in every major city (and in some airports). They have some great high end leather shoes. Not good for our work environment! But they have a lower grade leather model with a full neoprene sole. I wear them year round and get 2 years+ use before replacement. CDN price is $165. You can find same model in US on sale at $99.

If you are planning on walking through 6” of snow, these are not the shoes for you. But in a traditional airline environment they are perfect.
Just to provide an update on J&J, they've been my go-to shoes and boots for years. Recently they have removed the goodyear welt, which puts their current products basically in line quality wise with Aldo at continued inflated prices. I have a $150GC for them that I have not been able to spend as the value isn't there anymore.

For other readers - Goodyear welt makes shoes last 10+ years with proper care as the sole is continually replaceable, and the welt makes them virtually waterproof.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I wear the Rockport World Tour Shoe in black. I have found it very comfortable, long lasting and with a fairly grippy sole which is good for wet stairs. They are about $ 160, but mine are 3 years old and still look/feel good.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Just bought a $15 pair from a nearly dead and dying Canada Shoe Outlets and so far it has lasted me the one day I wore them.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Check out boot number 14333. They're the best boots I've ever owned. There's no liner, so you have to wear wool socks if you're wearing them in the freezing cold. They're made in Winnipeg. They're sized quite large. I'm normally a size 10, but the size 8 of this boot fits me perfectly.

https://www.canadawestboots.com/romeo

WhataYoke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WhataYoke »

co-joe wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:19 pm viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106860&hilit=shoes&start=75

I went with Ecco's in the summer, and Blundstones in the winter. So far I'm at 3 years on each with very little wear showing. Combined that's a solid $500 investment so not cheap. It's been worth it so far.
+1 for the Eccos. All rubber construction so you wont have to take off your shoes if you ever going through security at super sensitive airports.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

Wilsonnex wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:16 am What is your opinion about Air Jordan 1 shoes?
https://www.nike.com/ca/t/air-jordan-1-low-shoes-v2kdOZ

I mean, if you get the all black version it probably meets the uniform requirements… and it can’t be worse than the guy who wore black Crocs!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”