Onex buying Sunwing ?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Onex buying Sunwing ?

Post by rudder »

cloak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:15 am
Absolutely, a negotiated settlement, even in parts, would be better because it has known elements on which members can vote.

For instance Encore MEC has been very good in negotiating and even getting others to negotiate for them, be it in the one sided PTA1, be it pandemic era lay-off top up pay for Encore pilots only, they have represented their members well. They can and should continue to do that for a new PTA or whatever else they can. That is fine.

It is time that WS/WO MEC also negotiates for its own members, to do them no harm and represent all of them. That’s all.
Per ALPA Merger Policy, there is no membership ratification of an ISL.
---------- ADS -----------

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Well, strictly speaking WestJet MEC has not really been following ALPA policies! But if that is the case and indeed their intention, they had better get a clear mandate from their members before negotiations and stick to it, not what someone promised another group.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

cloak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:15 am
ALPApolicy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:06 pm
cloak wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:24 pm...One lesson that hopefully has been learnt is that an "all or nothing" approach sometimes does land one closer to nothing! It is better to negotiate.
I wonder if that applies to seniority list mergers?
Absolutely, a negotiated settlement, even in parts, would be better because it has known elements on which members can vote.

For instance Encore MEC has been very good in negotiating and even getting others to negotiate for them, be it in the one sided PTA1, be it pandemic era lay-off top up pay for Encore pilots only, they have represented their members well. They can and should continue to do that for a new PTA or whatever else they can. That is fine.

It is time that WS/WO MEC also negotiates for its own members, to do them no harm and represent all of them. That’s all.
I think, from what I have heard from guys/gals who flowed from Encore and from guys/gals who were laid off and went there last summer, that the Encore MEC is the MEC that we should have had since we certified.

I was also harsh on previous Grievance Chair KN. I am not close to the inner functionings of the MEC so when DC was involved in that imbroglio with the NC, I assumed KN had done something wrong.

I don't know where KN is in the WJ/Encore world but we need him back.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:33 am
I think, from what I have heard from guys/gals who flowed from Encore and from guys/gals who were laid off and went there last summer, that the Encore MEC is the MEC that we should have had since we certified….
Well, how about each group have their representatives negotiate for improvements with their respective company. What Encore negotiates and gets is between them and their company, not WJ MEC who are duty bound for fair representation of their own members. Also, they need to follow ALPA policies more closely, seek advice from them, seek a clear mandate from the membership and negotiate fiercely, for their own members. And when opportunities present themselves for any gains, take them and try to build on them. All or nothing is not negotiation!

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

cloak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:15 am Well, how about each group have their representatives negotiate for improvements with their respective company. What Encore negotiates and gets is between them and their company, not WJ MEC who are duty bound for fair representation of their own members. Also, they need to follow ALPA policies more closely, seek advice from them, seek a clear mandate from the membership and negotiate fiercely, for their own members. And when opportunities present themselves for any gains, take them and try to build on them. All or nothing is not negotiation!
Beautifully expressed.

Return to “WestJet”