Instruction by non-CFI ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GlenP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Instruction by non-CFI ATPL

Post by GlenP »

I need 5 hours "dual flight instruction with a qualified CFI" on type to satisfy my insurance company. The type is a light single engine piston. I seem to recall that an ATPL can offer on-type instruction without holding a Flight Instructor rating. Is that correct or am I misremembering?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Instruction by non-CFI ATPL

Post by Bede »

It's actually a CPL who can do it. You have to get approval from the insurance company though to substitute the CPL/ATPL holder for a flight instructor. They'll want to know the pilot's qualifications.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede is correct; there’s no Transport Canada qualification for providing “type instruction” because there’s no such thing as “type instruction” in the regulations. So if you have a CPL available so you think qualifies as experienced on the type negotiate with your insurance company to use them. You could use a PPL-holder too if the insurer will approve, but they can’t be paid for it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
GlenP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GlenP »

That makes perfect sense. Thanks, guys.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Isn’t there something about having a CPL/ATPL AND 50 hours on type?

TPC

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That’s to give instruction towards a multi engine rating.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

What type of aircraft ?
How complex ? Some GPS equipped aircraft require quite a bit of study before launching into the wild blue .
Did they specify what type of instructor and what experience level required ? I have met guys who were told after their gear up landings they needed instruction from a qualified instructor . One actually told me it was all bullshit after his second . I told him I could not help him . For learning to take place there has to be a willingness to learn . If he thought he did not need instruction after two gear up landings there was nothing I could do for him . I recommended he take the course at Flight Safety and that would get him a discount on his insurance .

Although this is really a conversation you should be having with your insurance company .

Return to “Flight Training”