Canoe Bag

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

UpNorth123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canoe Bag

Post by UpNorth123 »

Anybody have any recommendations where to get a canoe bag made in the lower mainland?

TIA
---------- ADS -----------

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Canoe Bag

Post by mmm..bacon »

I bought one of these for my surfski:

https://danuu.com/canoe-covers/

Don't think that they're made in the lower mainland, though..

These guys might be your best go-to: https://westerncanoekayak.com/ 'Course they're in Abby, which is pretty close to Calgary, so not exactly the lower mainland! :smt040

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If you're looking for a canoe bag to protect your canoe for land based transport, excellent.

If you're looking for a canoe bag, with the thought of flying it, I recommend not. Fly it bare. Unless the bag fits perfectly snugly to the canoe, it will flutter, and be it's own source of significant drag. Any external load now requires an approval. I would consider a canoe in a bag to be a different, and much less well defined, to be a different external load to a simple canoe.

That said, I did experiment many decades ago, with a cover for the canoe, and it worked well. It was tied bow, stern, to each thwart, and 2" velcro'd 100% along both sides, and, that was before external loads required approval.

All external loads on floatplanes require approval, and there is a pending Advisory Circular on that topic. TC is aware of fatal accidents resulting from attempting to carry an unapproved load, and acting (albeit slowly) on the TSB recommendations requiring approval. Be very careful flying an unapproved external load, doing so affects your C of A and insurance (and maybe safety).

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I used to fly a lot of canoes on the 185, in the mountains. They were almost all bagged - we could get higher, cruise faster and climb better with them in a bag vs not. Flutter was easily solved with a couple wraps of duct tape.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”