Two Seater Down At CYRP (Carp)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Two Seater Down At CYRP (Carp)

Post by broken_slinky »

Sounds like the two came through with no injuries.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2415079
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Two Seater Down At CYRP (Carp)

Post by pelmet »

C-GYML, an amateur-built privately registered Zenair CH200, was being flown by a student pilot
with an instructor in the right seat. The purpose of the flight was to practice short field/obstacle
clearance takeoffs and landings on runway 28 at Carp Airport (CYRP), Ontario. During the fourth
circuit, while in the landing flare, the aircraft began to drift to the left of the runway centreline. The
instructor called for the student to add power, and took the controls. During the maneuver, the pitch
attitude of the aircraft increased, and the aircraft, which was configured for landing with full flaps
extended, did not climb. The aircraft touched down in an area of long grass to the left of the
runway, continuing for a couple hundred feet before the nosewheel collapsed, stopping the aircraft.
Both pilots exited the aircraft uninjured. There was damage to both wings, the nosewheel, and the
propeller.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Looks like it was a nice little plane.
Hopefully it will fly again.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

trey kule wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:25 pm Hopefully it will fly again.
Saw it posted on a Facebook group as an insurance write-off. The owner posted it if anyone had interest in buying it off the insurance company. I guess if they were listing it for a low enough price, it may fly again.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Took a look on Facebook and it appears to me(I think) that it was available for rent at Carp which might explain why a student was on board.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:24 am Took a look on Facebook and it appears to me(I think) that it was available for rent at Carp which might explain why a student was on board.
Based on the registration, it recently changed ownership. I interpreted that the new owner, while doing some instructional training, wasn't in front of the plane and bad things led to an insurance claim. Thankfully, all that was bent was some aluminum and pride.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

During the fourth
circuit, while in the landing flare, the aircraft began to drift to the left of the runway centreline. The
instructor called for the student to add power, and took the controls. During the maneuver, the pitch
attitude of the aircraft increased, and the aircraft, which was configured for landing with full flaps
extended, did not climb.
Is there something funny about the handling of this airplane in that configuration? Most instructors cut their teeth on rescuing students who end up drifting sidways during landing without any drama, so I'm wondering if this plane is especially touchy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:24 am Took a look on Facebook and it appears to me(I think) that it was available for rent at Carp which might explain why a student was on board.
Looked up Carp Airport on Facebook and saw it under Flight Club, which appears to rent out aircraft. I remember a couple of recent COPA notices about their insurance possibly not covering some kinds of non flight school rental(I think - any further info would be appreciated).

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

photofly wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:09 am
During the fourth
extended, did not climb.
Is there something funny about the handling of this airplane in that configuration? Most instructors cut their teeth on rescuing students who end up drifting sidways during landing without any drama, so I'm wondering if this plane is especially touchy.
Not particularly, but they are a low inertia aircraft and have a center stick with a right hand throttle (in the right seat). Takes a little to get used to.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”