Up to 300 new hires in 2022

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Up to 300 new hires in 2022

Post by teacher »

Word is new hire interviews have started. Up to 300 new hires by the end of the year than a regular interval of new hires in 2023.

Good luck to all!
---------- ADS -----------

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Up to 300 new hires in 2022

Post by bob99 »

More good news- calls have gone out for the May new hire class.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

bob99 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:39 pm More good news- calls have gone out for the May new hire class.
Even better!

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Any estimates on potential numbers for 2023?

Not sure what regular interval of new hires means.

T.

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

No one knows. Currently around 400 vacancies. All of which need to be filled before spring 2023, as bids look out one year. By the next bid or the bid in the fall we will have a better idea on what kind of crewing levels will be required in summer/fall 2023 and therefore what kind of hiring.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:23 am Any estimates on potential numbers for 2023?

Not sure what regular interval of new hires means.

T.
All I was told was regular ground schools in 2023. I’m assuming a steady hiring schedule to fill what comes out in the equipment bids. As mentioned 400 vacancies for the next 12 months so at the very least 300 this year and another 100 or so in the first 4 months of 2023.

Seems like a class of 20-25 every 3 weeks-ish? 2 weeks PIT course, break than another 20-25 🤷‍♂️

That’s just a guess based on what was posted here. I am not privy to the actual plan.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

In early 2020 there were something like 900 vacancies posted. Since then there have been retirements, pilots leaving, and a purchase order for new aircraft. If things keep going as they are I hope 300 new hires represent just the tip of the iceberg.

reachfortheskiies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by reachfortheskiies »

lownslow wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:23 pm In early 2020 there were something like 900 vacancies posted. Since then there have been retirements, pilots leaving, and a purchase order for new aircraft. If things keep going as they are I hope 300 new hires represent just the tip of the iceberg.
Not sure where those pilots will come from, I’m in my early twenties. Very few of my peers across the industry seem to be interested in AC’s flat pay when wages across the 704/703 world are rising due to staffing squeezes.

Last edited by reachfortheskiies on Tue May 16, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

reachfortheskiies wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:41 pm
lownslow wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:23 pm In early 2020 there were something like 900 vacancies posted. Since then there have been retirements, pilots leaving, and a purchase order for new aircraft. If things keep going as they are I hope 300 new hires represent just the tip of the iceberg.
Not sure where those pilots will come from, I’m in my late twenties, corporate side. Very few of my peers across the industry seem to be interested in AC’s flat pay when wages across the 704/703 world are rising due to staffing squeezes.
200 hours cadets?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

garfield wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:46 pm
Not sure where those pilots will come from, I’m in my late twenties, corporate side. Very few of my peers across the industry seem to be interested in AC’s flat pay when wages across the 704/703 world are rising due to staffing squeezes.
200 hours cadets?
It looks like some mid career FOs from WS may be considering the move due to mismanagement at WS. Transat has lost some appeal due to long term stability and Porter hans't fired up it's Embraers yet. So I think the pool is still decent 705 experience, with some 3-4K 704. It'll be interesting come fall to see when business is back to normal. Probably close to 80% Jazz, 20% OTS.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

If AC gets rid of flat pay I see that problem going away?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

200 hours cadets?
That's my guess, they did it in 72, they can do it again. Back then it was to the back seat of the 727 and Tristar, now RPs don't really need to be able to fly do they?

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

:mrgreen:
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:16 pm

200 hours cadets?
It looks like some mid career FOs from WS may be considering the move due to mismanagement at WS. Transat has lost some appeal due to long term stability and Porter hans't fired up it's Embraers yet. So I think the pool is still decent 705 experience, with some 3-4K 704. It'll be interesting come fall to see when business is back to normal. Probably close to 80% Jazz, 20% OTS.
Why would WS pilots consider AC and not the USA?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ask them, dudes posting somewhere in this section, seeking peer advice.

I think it's a toss up being 6-7 years at WS and jumping ship to AC.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

There are about 900 vacancies again. 300 new hires in 6 months is the capacity of the training system, which also is required for active pilots switching positions, upgrading or doing recurrent training.

I think it’s been discussed on the Jazz forum, but most (if not all) of the pilots hired this year have been from operators not named Jazz. I believe the operational strategy is to hire from Jazz to meet the annual hiring quota (60%?) after the summer to help Jazz (and therefore AC) protect the integrity of the flying schedule.

A quick look through the new hire bios shows pilots coming from Cathay, Flair, Sunwing, Encore, Pacific Coastal, Porter, RCAF. Pretty impressive resumes to be honest considering how low the first year pay rates are. Increasing the starting pay would no doubt help increase the number of more qualified applicants at AC, every business would love to have the biggest talent pool available to it.

The big questions are; whether AC is satisfied with the current calibre of pilot applying? Based on the bios, I’d say probably? However, the question of whether the Jazz ‘flow through’ agreement can provide a big enough carrot as it stands to attract suitably qualified applicants to Jazz? There are only so many low-time pilots that Jazz can absorb with long term continuous high flow through to AC. That there are vacant Captains positions at Jazz at the start of a hiring wave indicates the thing are going to need to change.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TheStig wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:34 am However, the question of whether the Jazz ‘flow through’ agreement can provide a big enough carrot as it stands to attract suitably qualified applicants to Jazz? There are only so many low-time pilots that Jazz can absorb with long term continuous high flow through to AC. That there are vacant Captains positions at Jazz at the start of a hiring wave indicates the thing are going to need to change.
Yup. 109 to be exact. Almost all YYZ based. Mostly CRJ. Entirely driven by projected attrition to AC. No idea how that is going to play out as it looks out 12 months in to the future.

Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario - cancel or reduce AC flow would mean fewer applicants to Jazz. Pay bump for year 1-4 at Jazz would help but if a pilots ultimate goal is AC and Jazz turns out not to be the best route then pilot recruitment at Jazz would become even more challenging (other than the college candidates).

For a number of valid reasons it would be a good time for all 4 parties to dialogue. Likely a win-win-win-win to be had if the right perspective and expectations are brought to the discussion. If not, then status quo.

2023 will be an interesting year.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rudder wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:54 am
TheStig wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:34 am However, the question of whether the Jazz ‘flow through’ agreement can provide a big enough carrot as it stands to attract suitably qualified applicants to Jazz? There are only so many low-time pilots that Jazz can absorb with long term continuous high flow through to AC. That there are vacant Captains positions at Jazz at the start of a hiring wave indicates the thing are going to need to change.
Yup. 109 to be exact. Almost all YYZ based. Mostly CRJ. Entirely driven by projected attrition to AC. No idea how that is going to play out as it looks out 12 months in to the future.

Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario - cancel or reduce AC flow would mean fewer applicants to Jazz. Pay bump for year 1-4 at Jazz would help but if a pilots ultimate goal is AC and Jazz turns out not to be the best route then pilot recruitment at Jazz would become even more challenging (other than the college candidates).

For a number of valid reasons it would be a good time for all 4 parties to dialogue. Likely a win-win-win-win to be had if the right perspective and expectations are brought to the discussion. If not, then status quo.

2023 will be an interesting year.
They need to break away from living under ACs payscale. I know being dirt cheap is a great way to keep AC management from kicking you to the curb, but being ACs only national feeder is a huge plus. They need to take a long hard look at the type of flying they do and think as if they were their own airline competing for talent.

The U.S feeders have made WAWCON progress in leaps and bounds, would be wonderful to see at Jazz too.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:01 am
They need to break away from living under ACs payscale. I know being dirt cheap is a great way to keep AC management from kicking you to the curb, but being ACs only national feeder is a huge plus. They need to take a long hard look at the type of flying they do and think as if they were their own airline competing for talent.

The U.S feeders have made WAWCON progress in leaps and bounds, would be wonderful to see at Jazz too.
AC minimum starting pay for flow pilots should be Jazz year 1 CA pay. Jazz new-hire FO pay rates must go up by at least 25-40%.

AC should only take Jazz CA qualified pilots for flow purposes. Should have minimum 12 months left seat operational experience. AC seniority numbers should be reserved based on eligible PIT course if a Jazz pilot is still awaiting upgrade (excludes pilots that do not have ATPL) and/or has not completed 12 months in left seat, or if Jazz CA defers (max 24 month deferral), or is bypassed for operational reasons (max 12 month bypass).

AC could go out NOW and hire hundreds of OTS. Pick apart the competition flight decks.

Express operation protected. AC gets best candidates.

Will only happen if parties start a dialogue. Once again, if not it will be status quo.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rudder wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am

AC minimum starting pay for flow pilots should be Jazz year 1 CA pay. Jazz new-hire FO pay rates must go up by at least 25-40%.

AC should only take Jazz CA qualified pilots for flow purposes. Should have minimum 12 months left seat operational experience. AC seniority numbers should be reserved based on eligible PIT course if a Jazz pilot is still awaiting upgrade (excludes pilots that do not have ATPL) and/or has not completed 12 months in left seat, or if Jazz CA defers (max 24 month deferral), or is bypassed for operational reasons (max 12 month bypass).

AC could go out NOW and hire hundreds of OTS. Pick apart the competition flight decks.

Will only happen if parties start a dialogue. Once again, if not it will be status quo.
It'd be nice to see some stability form at Jazz.

Bring starting pay north of their current Captain rates, Captains get closer to mainline narrowbody Captain rates to start.

Really give someone considering flying for Jazz or Air Canada something to think about. It would also put pressure on Air Canada to reconsider their current unattractive starting conditions.

Pair that with a well rounded pension, current benefits and decent staffing - Jazz would be a winner. They have the playback with the feeders down south, 2 of which made major gains for the pilot group.

Would love to see the Jazz group, and even though I throw some shade towards AC crew, it's all because I want to see y'all succeed. If you succeed the industry succeeds.

Luigi Vampa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luigi Vampa »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:50 am
rudder wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am

It'd be nice to see some stability form at Jazz.
How much more stable can you get than a 17 year contract? :rolleyes: :lol:

Return to “Air Canada”