Colorblind Pilots I need some clarity!

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Harry1093
Rank 0
Rank 0

Colorblind Pilots I need some clarity!

Post by Harry1093 »

Hi Guys,

I am planning to start my PPL soon and move onto my CPL straight after to pursue a career in aviation.
I am concerned about failing my category 1 medical based on the fact that I am colour-blind, when taking the Ishihara test I only score weak to moderate for red/green colourblindness, on the Farnsworth and the lantern test I do even worse.
My question is will I straight up fail the medical based on being colourblind or will it just mean I have certain restrictions but can still pursue a career as a pilot?
I have a medical booked for next month but am trying to mentally prepare myself in-case I cannot continue my dream.
Any advice is really appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Colorblind Pilots I need some clarity!

Post by 702pipeliner »

Tall to your CAME any good one will have the lantern or line up test. I know several guys who have failed the plate test.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Colorblind Pilots I need some clarity!

Post by RegionalPilot »

Harry1093 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 pm Hi Guys,

I am planning to start my PPL soon and move onto my CPL straight after to pursue a career in aviation.
I am concerned about failing my category 1 medical based on the fact that I am colour-blind, when taking the Ishihara test I only score weak to moderate for red/green colourblindness, on the Farnsworth and the lantern test I do even worse.
My question is will I straight up fail the medical based on being colourblind or will it just mean I have certain restrictions but can still pursue a career as a pilot?
I have a medical booked for next month but am trying to mentally prepare myself in-case I cannot continue my dream.
Any advice is really appreciated!
I would suggest you do the D15 test. I personally see the difference between the colors but I wasn’t sure initially of the order they went. I practiced a few times online and I was able to pass easy. If it doesn’t do it for you, order the test online and do it at home a few times. Make sure you do it with one eye covered, for both eyes.

https://www.colorlitelens.com/images/test/D15/D15.html

Return to “ATS Question Forum”