Northern Canada Flight Schools for CPL (Yukon and NWT) and Living/Working Conditions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tiedye-aileron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Northern Canada Flight Schools for CPL (Yukon and NWT) and Living/Working Conditions

Post by tiedye-aileron »

I’m a Canadian PPL with primarily float and ski time and I’m interested in getting a CPL for a bush career. I’m from northern Ontario so any FTU with a commercial program is already quite the distance from me and would entail sizeable re-location/living costs anyhow, and I’m looking for adventure rather than a metropolitan diploma mill, so lately I’ve come up with this idea of heading much further north within the next year or two…

I’ve been looking into:
* Alkan Air in Whitehorse, YT

* Terry Harrold School of Aviation/Northwestern Air Lease in Fort Smith, NWT.

I’m not necessarily aiming to do the aviation management diplomas at either location as I already have (non-aviation) post-secondary education, but would be open to it. I’ve been investigating the federal student funding possibilities. It's more likely I'd do pay-as-you-go for the CPL/IR.

The companies appear straightforward as to the rates and program structures so I am looking for any other relevant information.

I’d also appreciate hearing any experiences about living and working in the Territories in general. I’m already involved in the Ontario wilderness tourism industry and ideally would return for an outpost camp type job but at the same time I’d like to see much more of the country. I'm accustomed to a seasonal income, -40 C temps, expensive and limited food, and not always having full indoor plumbing so I guess I want to know if my life would only get worse...?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Northern Canada Flight Schools for CPL (Yukon and NWT) and Living/Working Conditions

Post by Float_lover »

Hey, I'm living in Fort Smith, you will find yourself use to the climate here, winters are cold but dry (we barely have 3 feet of snow in the whole winter).
The town have lots of sports club that are very well equipped (paddling, ski, hockey).

The living cost is not too bad for the north (around $1,000 per month all included in winter) and the town has mostly all that you need (2 groceries, 2 hardware stores, all trades, rec center, library etc).

All salaries in town start at $15-$17/H.

It's a quick resume, if you want more info, PM me!

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Northern Canada Flight Schools for CPL (Yukon and NWT) and Living/Working Conditions

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Housing in the Yukon is obscene, if you can even find a place. Much as I love the Yukon, I would say you're better off elsewhere.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sendymcsendyface »

I've heard really good things about Alkan, and Whitehorse seems like a great place to live. I was all set to start there in the fall, but the cost of living is insane. Rental market is comparable to lower mainland BC. So instead of going to Whitehorse for school+flying, I'm going to school in BC, saving some $$, then thinking of going up north for flight training once I graduate uni and have a job that pays enough to live.

Lanceair1967
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lanceair1967 »

Hi there,
If you want more information on flight training at Alkan Air and living conditions in the Yukon, PM me.

Return to “Flight Training”