Type rating on a new aircraft

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Type rating on a new aircraft

Post by Aspiredtofly »

So once you join a company and get assigned a base with the aircraft of your choice. How does the process work with getting the type rating to flying the actual aircraft, I'm talking about the studying, initial operating experience(IOE), simulator tests and a bunch more. Just curious to know about it.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Type rating on a new aircraft

Post by flyinhigh »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:34 pm So once you join a company and get assigned a base with the aircraft of what your seniority allows. How does the process work with getting the type rating to flying the actual aircraft, I'm talking about the studying, initial operating experience(IOE), simulator tests and a bunch more. Just curious to know about it.
Sry I corrected the part in Bold. You have no choice when going an airline, its what your seniority allows. The rest of you, pretty much summed up on your own. Its all those things.

Last edited by flyinhigh on Wed May 04, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Sry I corrected the part in Bold. You have now choice when going an airline, its what your seniority allows. The rest of you, pretty much summed up on your own. Its all those things.
[/quote]

Yes thats correct. I mean what happens when your at those stages and what happens when you fail to qualify in any, would they even give u a chance or do they just kick you out?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:00 pm Sry I corrected the part in Bold. You have now choice when going an airline, its what your seniority allows. The rest of you, pretty much summed up on your own. Its all those things.
Yes thats correct. I mean what happens when your at those stages and what happens when you fail to qualify in any, would they even give u a chance or do they just kick you out?
[/quote]

Most collective agreements, which pretty much every airline pilot in Canada works under, have a step by step process for candidates who aren't progressing normally. If you make it all the way to the check ride and you're unsuccessful, you will almost always receive extra training and at the very least, one extra chance. The exact way things shape up will depend on what it says in the contract and the candidates specific problems. I've seen my company throw quite a lot of resources into individuals who shouldn't have been afforded half of it. Keep in mind a type rating cost a lot of money, they're not just going to kick you out.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Here is a screenshot of my company's process as outlined in the CBA. Even though it says a FCM who fails to qualify while still on probation will be terminated. I have seen this not to be the case multiple times. This is something that is at the discretion of the company.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.19.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.19.43 PM.png (143.43 KiB) Viewed 2186 times

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”