Passed centennial college without accreditation will i be able to find a job?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cajw_13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Passed centennial college without accreditation will i be able to find a job?

Post by cajw_13 »

I was wondering would it be possible to get a job to start off my apprenticeship. The only airline that asked for accreditation on job postings was westjet but only out of Calgary. All the other postings just say Must be a graduate of an accredited Transport Canada approved college. Which I am but don’t have accreditation.
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Passed centennial college without accreditation will i be able to find a job?

Post by nine sixteenths »

The ATO listing shows that Centennial’s able to issue you both a diploma without the TC approval number (your proof of completion without accreditation), as well as a Letter of Accreditation from the Aerospace Dept, which will validate your training. Without that second letter you may find you have to do a longer apprenticeship as well as write all the exams in order to obtain a license, it reads to me that you wouldn’t be given the credit for knowledge and experience without the letter.

As to finding an apprentice position, I would say it might be a little more challenging, as many places that take on an apprentice expect a license in a couple years and now would have a longer term apprentice. Might be fine some places, not at others. Depends your career goals, your personal aptitude, and how you come across to the person doing the hiring IMO. Don’t hide the accreditation situation facts, because that’s not a good start to your career as an AME, but Make sure you know exactly what it’ll entail to move forward and get a license in your situation, so you can describe that to a prospective employer. Come to the interview with answers, not unknowns.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Passed centennial college without accreditation will i be able to find a job?

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

cajw_13 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:07 pm I was wondering would it be possible to get a job to start off my apprenticeship. The only airline that asked for accreditation on job postings was westjet but only out of Calgary. All the other postings just say Must be a graduate of an accredited Transport Canada approved college. Which I am but don’t have accreditation.
So you didn’t achieve 70% which is essentially an attendance letter not a graduation. I don’t understand why colleges are doing this, when I went through if you failed a course you were done and see you next semester. Now i hate to say this but these colleges seem like puppy mills these days. You’ll have to do all four years apprenticeship in the field and that will be a hard sell for some operators and probably an incentive for others “cheap labour”. I don’t know of any operators that won’t take unlicensed second set of hands but your situation is just what it is.

Return to “Maintenance”