C152 vs C172 or DA40

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: C152 vs C172 or DA40

Post by PilotDAR »

a Warrior actually spins just fine, and recoveries are a non-event.
Hmmm, the Warriors I'm familiar with are placarded:

"...SPINS ARE PROHIBITED FOR NORMAL AND UTILITY CATEGORY."

Which doesn't leave much room for doubt as to their approved maneuvering limitations. This would be a situation where a wise pilot would read and abide by the limitations placard in the cockpit, rather than a quasi anonymous post read on the internet!

I am aware that some PA-28's are approved for intentional spinning, the best way to know for sure is to read the limitations placard. I very certainly would not present yourself for a flight test for which spinning is a required maneuver, in a "spins prohibited" airplane. It makes you look rather unprofessional. It is funny to see the quizzical expressions on the examiner's face when you propose to spin a "spins prohibited" plane, but then not so funny to see that the examiner is suddenly checking a box on a form which you would rather not have been checked!

Understanding the maneuver limits of the plane you're flying is one of the piloting and licensing requirements.
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: C152 vs C172 or DA40

Post by JasonE »

I bought a Cherokee for my flight training. It worked out well, lovely little plane with no bad habits to train in. I put 350 hours on it and sold it when I was ready to move on. I did have to do my spin training in a 150 because none of the local instructors had ever spun a Cherokee and were not comfortable with it at the time. After completing my license I had a wonderful mentor show me how it spins. Spin entry/recovery then became part of my personal recurrency exercises & even demonstrated it to others. It was an early Hersey bar, rated for up to 6 turns in the POH.
---------- ADS -----------

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “Flight Training”