Licensed AME’s in Canada, how many?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Licensed AME’s in Canada, how many?

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I’ve known the below link attached has existed for some time. Has anyone seen anything similar from TC re: AME numbers? I’d be very interested to see something parallel the pilots statistics.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... statistics
---------- ADS -----------

VintageAviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Licensed AME’s in Canada, how many?

Post by VintageAviator »

There used to be such as thing including # of M1, M2 E S and balloon rated Ames. Might be unavailable now as a quick search yields no results.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

VintageAviator wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 am There used to be such as thing including # of M1, M2 E S and balloon rated Ames. Might be unavailable now as a quick search yields no results.
I think you’re right, that was a very long time ago pre 2010 I believe?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

VintageAviator wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 am There used to be such as thing including # of M1, M2 E S and balloon rated Ames. Might be unavailable now as a quick search yields no results.
I vaguely recall that when I was in college, if you or anyone else reading this forum find the stats I’d be interested too

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

According to Transport Canada data provided to Skies, there were 17,662 active AME licence holders living in Canada as of June 26, 2019. Half of them (8,762) are currently above age 50.Aug 19, 2019

https://skiesmag.com/features/help-in-t ... -shortage/

Those numbers are pre covid19, I wonder how that statistic mounts up now and how many are actually actively ACA’d

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Well if you count the amount of TFW’s with dicey credentials that according to that article industry is pushing with all its might to allow to circumvent current regulations for safety…..lots. If you count the amount of actually qualified AME’s that have moved onto greener pastures it’s probably pretty dismal. You would think it will get worse but the fed’s will capitulate to industry when they start crying about how they can’t “find anyone”. The real problem is nights, crappy pay and a toxic work environment. That article is hilariously in accurate in its content.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

-42 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:00 pm Well if you count the amount of TFW’s with dicey credentials that according to that article industry is pushing with all its might to allow to circumvent current regulations for safety…..lots. If you count the amount of actually qualified AME’s that have moved onto greener pastures it’s probably pretty dismal. You would think it will get worse but the fed’s will capitulate to industry when they start crying about how they can’t “find anyone”. The real problem is nights, crappy pay and a toxic work environment. That article is hilariously in accurate in its content.
I agree. I wonder what the actual number is that are active at this point. Agreed about tfw’s I’ve seen them coming in more and more for the last ten years and some how companies are issuing RCA’s or restricted acas or whatever to keep cost down. It’s disgusting

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:00 pm Well if you count the amount of TFW’s with dicey credentials that according to that article industry is pushing with all its might to allow to circumvent current regulations for safety…..lots. If you count the amount of actually qualified AME’s that have moved onto greener pastures it’s probably pretty dismal. You would think it will get worse but the fed’s will capitulate to industry when they start crying about how they can’t “find anyone”. The real problem is nights, crappy pay and a toxic work environment. That article is hilariously in accurate in its content.
Saw a bunch of TFW’s working in Canada on helicopters last summer for operators… apparently they weren’t able to sign for much either. What a f’n joke we are as a profession. Guys dropping out of it because of bad pay bad work conditions bad support bad pilots because of said conditions… it’s pathetic. All just to puff our chests out to say we do what we do apparently.

The amount of actual Canadian bred trained and licensed ames that are currently working is probably half the number of that article or less. Agree that article is a joke impending doom and gloom of impending AME shortage LOL 😂 . There will never be a shortage, these sharks that run these companies have forever relied on the sludge at the bottom of the barrel. Aviation in Canada can suck my balls

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

+1

Well said.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:47 pm
Saw a bunch of TFW’s working in Canada on helicopters last summer for operators… apparently they weren’t able to sign for much either. What a f’n joke we are as a profession. Guys dropping out of it because of bad pay bad work conditions bad support bad pilots because of said conditions… it’s pathetic. All just to puff our chests out to say we do what we do apparently.

The amount of actual Canadian bred trained and licensed ames that are currently working is probably half the number of that article or less. Agree that article is a joke impending doom and gloom of impending AME shortage LOL 😂 . There will never be a shortage, these sharks that run these companies have forever relied on the sludge at the bottom of the barrel. Aviation in Canada can suck my balls
+1 it can suck my balls too

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:55 pm +1

Well said.
This industry is ridiculous.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

So TC has our email on file to send out
“National Aircraft Certification - Communications / Certification national des aéronefs - communications”

There is definitely a number they have in their possession. I would like to actually hear it from them or see the statistic on their website. I cannot find it anywhere and if it’s not published on TC’s website…… why?

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Does anyone else fondly remember the 90's?
At age 18, in the fall of 1995, I bought a plane, and got my PPL.
Everything seemed to be in balance then. Amount of good planes, pilots, AMEs, and the regs were not as out of control.
Life was good back then, or at least for me.
There was enough work for everyone who wanted to work, and while wages were less than now, costs were substantially lower, and most people lived well.
Good memories, but things have changed drastically, and not for the better.

Whitney
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WANP wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:26 am Does anyone else fondly remember the 90's?
At age 18, in the fall of 1995, I bought a plane, and got my PPL.
Everything seemed to be in balance then. Amount of good planes, pilots, AMEs, and the regs were not as out of control.
Life was good back then, or at least for me.
There was enough work for everyone who wanted to work, and while wages were less than now, costs were substantially lower, and most people lived well.
Good memories, but things have changed drastically, and not for the better.
That was the beginning of free trade and globalization.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Has anyone found anything else?

Return to “Maintenance”