Commuting?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Commuting?

Post by Launchpad1 »

Hey all,

Just wondering if there's been any rumours the commuting policy might make a comeback to WJ?
---------- ADS -----------

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Commuting?

Post by goingmissed »

Launchpad1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:24 pm Hey all,

Just wondering if there's been any rumours the commuting policy might make a comeback to WJ?
Unfortunately, they are just rumours.

Nothing is anything more until it is printed and signed in ink.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

The company canceled the commuting policy out of spite (the FAs still have it), so that the pilots can negotiate it back in the next CA. They would love nothing more than to give it back, because it doesn't cost them a dime.
Far better to bid farewell to it. Even a modest pay rise would help cost of commuting. Use the bargaining capital elsewhere.
The fact commuting pilots must pay the AIFs is disgusting, however.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:41 pm The company canceled the commuting policy out of spite (the FAs still have it), so that the pilots can negotiate it back in the next CA. They would love nothing more than to give it back, because it doesn't cost them a dime.
Far better to bid farewell to it. Even a modest pay rise would help cost of commuting. Use the bargaining capital elsewhere.
The fact commuting pilots must pay the AIFs is disgusting, however.
I like to hate on the company as much as the next pilot, but if we are going to have a constructive conversation, we should put the important facts out there.

The reason given for the cancellation of ACM is the new duty regs. Those regs affect pilots but not cabin crew.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

I also thought the same, then heard from an MEC rep at the time that they enquired with Transport about the duty regs/canceled commuting policy. Their response was that pilots are responsible for showing up rested and fit for duty, and they don't see any difference whether pilots have a paid-for commute, or have to pay for it themselves. I guess we will find out if that's true during the next round of negots and what's on the table for commuting pilots.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Yes but ACM pilots were considered as ready to go replacement pilots. Transport said this had to be considered duty.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

goingmissed wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:15 am The reason given for the cancellation of ACM is the new duty regs. Those regs affect pilots but not cabin crew.
Buying the propaganda at face value isn't smart consumerism.
sstaurus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:58 am Yes but ACM pilots were considered as ready to go replacement pilots. Transport said this had to be considered duty.
And with the wave of a wand (more commonly known as a pen) the acronym changes and the duty time issue disappears... the commuting policy continues and everyone is happy.

But happy isn't something that the company wants right now. Happy is the opposite of what the company wants right now. Think of it like a divorce (when the pilots unionized) and one of the partner is determined to grab 100% of the assets and money in the divorce and make the other partner pay for their decision. That is our management right now. They will spend a dollar to avoid giving a penny... and then pat themselves on the back for saving a penny and showing us who's boss.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:02 am
goingmissed wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:15 am The reason given for the cancellation of ACM is the new duty regs. Those regs affect pilots but not cabin crew.
Buying the propaganda at face value isn't smart consumerism.
Until I have a more plausible explanation, I will stick with the most likely answer I've heard.

I am open to the idea that it could be something else.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

goingmissed wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:59 pm Until I have a more plausible explanation, I will stick with the most likely answer I've heard.

I am open to the idea that it could be something else.
Plausible explanation: Duty times were likely to be an issue but not an insurmountable one under the new rules. The company made a choice to get rid of the program rather than modify it. It was a choice. Much like the company had made choices to forbid first and last leg DH changes, DH changes to and from training that in no way affected duty times but that was the excuse used, changes to pairing swaps within the pilot community (must be in and out of your base)... the list is long and distinguished. But none of these items are forbidden by the new duty regulations.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I don't believe TC's definition of "duty" has changed between the old regs and the new ones. So why is ACM all of a sudden considered "duty", when before, it wasn't?

truecolours
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by truecolours »

The company should be completely removed from this problem. Take their chips away.

ALPA, ACPA, UNIFOR, CUPE (and all the others) should all be going to the Canadian Airport Council and pointing out that CATSA agents and CSA's aren't charged an AIF to show up to work and use the facilities. We should be asking for airline employees that help contribute to the airport's economic success should be exempt from the AIF when travelling between two city pairs for work.

I'd even settle for a monthly frequent traveler AIF tacked on to my taxable benefit airport parking to settle the issue. Say two AIF's worth split between my base and domicile airport authorities.

Long rant short. We should settle this with the airports, NOT the company. I'd start by asking the CEO of each authority if they pay $35 to come to work each day.

Last edited by truecolours on Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

tbayav8er wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am I don't believe TC's definition of "duty" has changed between the old regs and the new ones. So why is ACM all of a sudden considered "duty", when before, it wasn't?
Your rep will likely have a more correct answer than someone on here.

Return to “WestJet”