ipc

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

ipc

Post by flyndad »

Anyone done a recent IPC and if so what was tested?
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: ipc

Post by Squaretail »

The same things they always check.

You have to do a precision approach, a non precision approach and a hold. If its a multi, one of those approaches is going to be single engine.

For more detail, its the same stuff.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/public ... ne-tp-9939

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

They test unusual attitude recovery as well.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Kaykay wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:10 pm They test unusual attitude recovery as well.
That's not part of a standard IPC according to the document linked above. Might be a school thing.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

digits_ wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:15 pm
Kaykay wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:10 pm They test unusual attitude recovery as well.
That's not part of a standard IPC according to the document linked above. Might be a school thing.
See advisory circular 401-004, section 4, 2a (i and ii) also 6.3 flight activities 4a i and ii. Both indicate requirement for unusual attitude recovery and this is consistent with all of the examiners in my area. Why it’s not in the FTG, I don’t know. If it’s been superseded somehow, I’d appreciate the reference.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Kaykay wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:28 pm
See advisory circular 401-004, section 4, 2a (i and ii) also 6.3 flight activities 4a i and ii. Both indicate requirement for unusual attitude recovery and this is consistent with all of the examiners in my area. Why it’s not in the FTG, I don’t know. If it’s been superseded somehow, I’d appreciate the reference.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... no-401-004

My apologies, I had no idea. Thanks for the references!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

digits_ wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:40 pm
Kaykay wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:28 pm

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... no-401-004

My apologies, I had no idea. Thanks for the references!
Happy to help! It caught us all off guard at one point too :)

ReducedSeparation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ReducedSeparation »

I did an IPC recently. The AC cited above outlines everything in detail, but here’s a general overview:

The whole emphasis is to try and keep things as “real” as possible as if it were a normal IFR flight. It’s one thing for the candidate to sit down and regurgitate all of the regs in a flight test fashion, but on the IPC you’re supposed to be tested in more of a scenario-based environment. For example, flight test would be “when is a take-off alternate required” but IPC would be “what is the minimum weather required to take-off today, and if you take-off at mins and have an emergency, what do you do?” (fly to the take-off alternate). Few other questions like that in the ground brief, reviewing aircraft performance/weight and balance and a typical emergency/abnormal situation question.

For the flight (in aircraft or sim), maybe unusual attitudes and another abnormal situation en route to your destination, non-precision ground-based navaid approach (LOC, VOR, NDB), missed approach, hold, engine failure, precision approach (ILS/LPV) to a landing and that’s it.

No tricks (in theory), just flying how you would normally fly a plane in the real world.

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

Very helpful, thank you

Return to “Flight Training”