Looking for guidance and a mentor

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for guidance and a mentor

Post by skywagon737 »

Hello Dear Fellow People of SKY;

I am Jim and want to find the best course of action for my ICAO ATPL (issued in Turkey) to TC ATPL process. I know there are rules but as always said experience is quite valuable in our industry. Your answers will have a decisive role. I may land on some studies in Canada and want to try my chance.

Unfortunately, I lost my job due to COVID-19 and my B737 type rating is expired. Is it good to have a type rating on my ATPL before I submit my licence change request to TC or will multi engine rating suffice? I am really undecided to spend some bucks on type rating renewal.
I have also FI rating and do you think it would be benefical for me to have FI rating on my licence? or is it better have an FI course in Canada?

Total: 9000 hours, 6200 B737NG, 1200 SE (L) ,100 ME (L), 1500 Turbine Helicopters.

Thanks for reading and sparing your time.
---------- ADS -----------

Fugio, ergo sum. :!:
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Looking for guidance and a mentor

Post by Bede »

Don't bother with the type rating. Canadian employers will retrain you anyways.

As far as I understand it, your experience will count but you will need to do the following examinations:
Group 1 instrument rating flight test & written test
SARON exam
SAMRA exam

Look at CAR 421 for requirements.
Also get your category 1 medical application in ASAP! Delays are 6 months.

You can't just convert the FI rating- most of it has to be redone. I wouldn't bother considering the jobs that you will be looking for.

If you have a right to work in Canada, the ULCC are looking for pilots with your experience.

Good luck!

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

Thanks for the reply Bede;

Cat I Medical and renewing my ME (L) at the priority list then. Actually, I am not biased but I am not so sure if the airliners want to hire foreign nationals ( provided that working permit is acquired) instead of Canadians. I have some hours with Cessna 185 and I guess I would follow bush flying, mountain flying maybe crop dusting.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

The main thing in your case is the right to work.

Don't count on a company to provide you the work permit as far as I know.
But if you have the right to work, with your experience, I don't see why an airline won't hire you.

You need a permanent resident permit or citizenship.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What do you mean with:

"1200 SE (L) ,100 ME (L),"

I assume the (L) stands for land? ME for multi engine? If that's the case, why are you not including your 737 time in your multi engine time?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

To Frog :
You are absolutely right. I will attend to a college, thereafter I will apply for the PR. I ponder “open work permit” is not attracting companies especially related to their prospective investment on me. I am little old for this path, 44, though.

To Digits :
The regulation I belong does not take it as a multiengine experience when it comes to renewing my licence. That is why I excluded my B737 time, and you are correct “L” stands for land.

Thanks for the insight.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Interesting.

Well if you apply in Canada I recommend you do add it to your multi time. Your resume might not get much attention if you apply with 100 hrs multi for a 705 job.

Good luck!

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:29 am Interesting.

Well if you apply in Canada I recommend you do add it to your multi time. Your resume might not get much attention if you apply with 100 hrs multi for a 705 job.

Good luck!
WillCo, thanks for the advice.

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

I have another question to be answered from your point of view. My last multi engine piston land airplane flight was in 2012, with Cessna 402. What is the most common multi engine piston land type in Flight Schools in Canada? Pipers, Cessnas, any Tecnams?

Thanks again.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Piper commanches and senecas.

The occasional twin diamond.

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

What about my B737 rating on my licence? Is it recognized by the TC authority or should I take the type rating course "again" with TC approved training organization?
Thanks a lot

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

skywagon737 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:08 am What about my B737 rating on my licence? Is it recognized by the TC authority or should I take the type rating course "again" with TC approved training organization?
Thanks a lot
I don't know if they would put it on your license. But it doesn't matter practically speaking.

Your employer will train you. I don't even think you can get a TC typerating in Canada without going through an employer training program.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

digits_ wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:44 am
skywagon737 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:08 am What about my B737 rating on my licence? Is it recognized by the TC authority or should I take the type rating course "again" with TC approved training organization?
Thanks a lot
I don't know if they would put it on your license. But it doesn't matter practically speaking.

Your employer will train you. I don't even think you can get a TC typerating in Canada without going through an employer training program.
Yes you can.

I’ve got two on my licence (employer paid for the type) but they didn’t do anything in regards to licensing.

TPC

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

Actually my question is that " Can I have my skill test with B737NG simulator for ATPL" conversion as I do with FAA licence conversion? "

skywagon737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skywagon737 »

Just for the quick update : Here is the part of the message I got from TC Ontario Branch : "Pass appropriate Group 1 instrument rating flight test/pilot proficiency or competency check in a multi engine aeroplane or Level C or D simulator (FTD not acceptable) within last 12 months"

I guess I can find a simulator in Toronto, CAE has in Mississauga.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

skywagon737 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:13 pm Just for the quick update : Here is the part of the message I got from TC Ontario Branch : "Pass appropriate Group 1 instrument rating flight test/pilot proficiency or competency check in a multi engine aeroplane or Level C or D simulator (FTD not acceptable) within last 12 months"

I guess I can find a simulator in Toronto, CAE has in Mississauga.

1. Good luck finding a spot for any simulator at CAE. Airlines can barely keep up training their own pilots, let alone someone "off the street". Simulators are fully booked nowadays with the increase in flying and things getting back to some sort of pre-pandemic levels. Some pilots are waiting months for their training.

2. Best place is to go to a flight school and do it on an actual piston twin (like a Twin Star). It's much cheaper and probably more available.

Last edited by RoAF-Mig21 on Fri May 13, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crpilot »

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... ts#airline

The flight test requirement can be met in a Level C or D simulator, but as the previous poster mentioned, CAE will generally not accept students outside of the airline training programs. These simulators are generally leased to one or two operators for their internal training. The answer for you might be to go to a flight school and complete the flight test in a Seneca or similar. If you are proficient, the cost will likely be similar (ie 5-10 hours in the aircraft will likely be similar cost to a couple of hours in a Level D simulator). The best option for a quick flight test near Toronto is probably Cornwall (not that close to Toronto, actually closer to Montreal). They specialize in fast preparation and flight tests, and have accomodation available for out of town students.

Your type rating will likely not carry over, since your last simulator evaluation or line check must have been within the preceeding 12 months. So if you are saying it is expired, you will likely not meet this requirement. However, if you do gain employment in Canada, the employer will require you to attend their full initial training course, and you will recieve the type rating on your Canadian license at this point. So in other words, no need to pay out of pocket for the type rating renewal.

Return to “General Comments”