On-Demand Video Interview Thoughts

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

On-Demand Video Interview Thoughts

Post by silverskies »

I'm just curious what the general thoughts are on the on-demand video interview since I haven't seen any mention of it to date (tried the search function). On the selection process on NavCan's website, the next step after the "In-person test" (which I presume is the FEAST) is a language test for the Montreal FIC and then another in-person assessment in a group/individual setting at an ACC. Is this just a YWG-specific thing? How much importance is placed on this portion? I did mine a little over a week ago.
---------- ADS -----------

M1bmx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: On-Demand Video Interview Thoughts

Post by M1bmx »

I did mine a few weeks ago and hated it. It felt totally bizarre, sitting in a room talking to my computer. During in-person interviews I build momentum as I talk to the interviewer. I become more expressive and have a better energy. During the video interview I felt the opposite happen. I'm sure I did worse than I would have an in-person interview.

I was also thrown off by the prep time we were given. We were only given 5 days to complete it and due to my schedule I had to do it in 3. It's my fault for doing little to prepare before however.

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

M1bmx wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:33 pm It felt totally bizarre, sitting in a room talking to my computer. During in-person interviews I build momentum as I talk to the interviewer. I become more expressive and have a better energy. During the video interview I felt the opposite happen. I'm sure I did worse than I would have an in-person interview.
Right? I was very frustrated by my browser and when watching my answers back... It was awkward. So I guess we'll see!

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

Oh wow the interview step isn't a live Zoom video with a panel such as an HR rep, current controller, etc?? I thought this is how it was and thought I read about virtual but live interviews occurring recently so this must be new... I've also done interviews answering video prompts elsewhere and they're awful

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

atcguy98 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:31 pm Oh wow the interview step isn't a live Zoom video with a panel such as an HR rep, current controller, etc?? I thought this is how it was and thought I read about virtual but live interviews occurring recently so this must be new... I've also done interviews answering video prompts elsewhere and they're awful
During my FEAST assessment, the invigilator had mentioned a panel interview like what you mentioned. Honestly, I hadn't seen anywhere that an on-demand video interview like this was going to be held so I'm just not sure what's next on the application process (provided I get through this step).

M1bmx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M1bmx »

atcguy98 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:31 pm Oh wow the interview step isn't a live Zoom video with a panel such as an HR rep, current controller, etc?? I thought this is how it was and thought I read about virtual but live interviews occurring recently so this must be new... I've also done interviews answering video prompts elsewhere and they're awful
I thought this is what it would be as well. A couple hours after I recieved my feast results I was sent an email explaining the on-demand video interview.

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

M1bmx wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:20 pm I thought this is what it would be as well. A couple hours after I recieved my feast results I was sent an email explaining the on-demand video interview.
What region?

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

Never heard of the on-demand interviews, thats crazy.

The virtual panel interview wasnt interactive at all though, I had a HR rep and current ATC, they asked you a question/scenario and you responded while they typed away, then asked the next question etc. They stated it would be sent to another team for review, the interviewers werent making any decisions.

I believe the half-day assessment is also a panel interview, my invite for the half day aseessment said something like "we would like to invite you to a panel interview at Toronto ACC" so maybe they changed the process again?

Kstander30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kstander30 »

M1bmx wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:20 pm
I thought this is what it would be as well. A couple hours after I recieved my feast results I was sent an email explaining the on-demand video interview.
When you completed your On demand video interview did you get an email from Modern Hire confirming it was submitted ? I did not get any email verification- it just showed submitted and said “an email will be sent to the hiring manager” or something like that. I’m asking because today an email went out that Modern Hire is down so I’m just worried mine didn’t go through or something. Thanks!

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

Kstander30 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 am When you completed your On demand video interview did you get an email from Modern Hire confirming it was submitted ? I did not get any email verification- it just showed submitted and said “an email will be sent to the hiring manager” or something like that. I’m asking because today an email went out that Modern Hire is down so I’m just worried mine didn’t go through or something. Thanks!
Didn't receive an email but when I logged back into the system it said my recordings were submitted.

As for my own thoughts on the interview, I felt pretty neutral about it. I was a bit off guard on the first recorded question and I know my performance suffered there, but I thought I did well on the following three. I guess the positive here is that you just have to "pass" and I would imagine they care more about aptitude test results than the interview so long as there were no red flags, so here's to us all getting an invite to the next step!

silverskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by silverskies »

It's now been over 5 weeks since I submitted my interview and still no response. I got an email from the Modern Hire platform about how their servers were offline then back online again (?). Wondering how long it's taken other people?

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

silverskies wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:42 pm It's now been over 5 weeks since I submitted my interview and still no response. I got an email from the Modern Hire platform about how their servers were offline then back online again (?). Wondering how long it's taken other people?
I've seen that it can take more than the advertised 4 weeks for a few other users. They likely have a lot of interviews to go through.

talktomegoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by talktomegoose »

silverskies wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:42 pm It's now been over 5 weeks since I submitted my interview and still no response. I got an email from the Modern Hire platform about how their servers were offline then back online again (?). Wondering how long it's taken other people?

I did my online interview on May 30th. It's been over four weeks and I am getting antsy...so ya, I'm wondering the same...

YFCFlyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YFCFlyer »

Anyone getting interview results who did them in May or June?

Potatopotato
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Potatopotato »

YFCFlyer wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 pm Anyone getting interview results who did them in May or June?
I waited 5 weeks with no response and then got an email yesterday to do the half day tomorrow. I’m honestly confused and just live my life like I didn’t make the cut. If I get an email letting know I’m continuing along the selection process, it’s just a nice surprise.

airraptor2023
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airraptor2023 »

YFCFlyer wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 pm Anyone getting interview results who did them in May or June?
Yeah it's been over 5 weeks for me now

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”