Leading Edge placed in interim receivership

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leading Edge placed in interim receivership

Post by Bluenoser29 »

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have information on what's going on with Leading Edge geomatics based in Debert NS? I noticed on their website they have been placed in interim receivership.
---------- ADS -----------

imapo16
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Leading Edge placed in interim receivership

Post by imapo16 »

The company is brankrupt. All of their employees lost their job and I was one of them. Landed a job with them in mid march when they advertise in february that they were looking for survey pilots. Very unprofessional and badly managed company honestly. They couldn't even give me a start date after I got hired and they would just stall my starting date over and over again. In the meantime, I had a flying opportunities elsewhere and trusted my guts that the company will call me soon but they never did. I just feel like they knew they were in bad shape but never communicate and made me waste a precious flying opportunities.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

imapo16 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:48 pm The company is brankrupt. All of their employees lost their job and I was one of them. Landed a job with them in mid march when they advertise in february that they were looking for survey pilots. Very unprofessional and badly managed company honestly. They couldn't even give me a start date after I got hired and they would just stall my starting date over and over again. In the meantime, I had a flying opportunities elsewhere and trusted my guts that the company will call me soon but they never did. I just feel like they knew they were in bad shape but never communicate and made me waste a precious flying opportunities.
Too bad. They must have blown up just to screw you over.

This is the kind of post, that generates my comment about the whining and snivelling everywhere out there.

There’s a lesson here. Long ago, and I came from an unbelievably difficult set of circumstances that would make most people vomit and cringe if they heard them, you can easily be a success.

Just gotta outwork the legions of lazy people out there.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:56 am
imapo16 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:48 pm The company is brankrupt. All of their employees lost their job and I was one of them. Landed a job with them in mid march when they advertise in february that they were looking for survey pilots. Very unprofessional and badly managed company honestly. They couldn't even give me a start date after I got hired and they would just stall my starting date over and over again. In the meantime, I had a flying opportunities elsewhere and trusted my guts that the company will call me soon but they never did. I just feel like they knew they were in bad shape but never communicate and made me waste a precious flying opportunities.

This is the kind of post, that generates my comment about the whining and snivelling everywhere out there.

There’s a lesson here. Long ago, and I came from an unbelievably difficult set of circumstances that would make most people vomit and cringe if they heard them, you can easily be a success.

You think it's normal a company doesn't give you a start date when they hire you?

I am sure if this guy would have accepted the other offer after accepting this one without a starting date, that you wouldn't have been happy either....

I think he is likely right that company management would have known a few months in advance that they were in trouble.

Yes a lot of people whine without an apparent valid reason, but this is not one of those.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Ya ok… All he said was that he honoured their agreement, and lost work waiting. The only lesson here is that you need to take care of yourself. Everyone has been burned in this industry at one point or another, it’s par for course.
There’s several reasons a company going insolvent would have hired people during the course of its demise. I’ve been in that situation a couple times as well many years ago. Banks need to see certain numbers to keep funds available for starters.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:18 am

You think it's normal a company doesn't give you a start date when they hire you?

I am sure if this guy would have accepted the other offer after accepting this one without a starting date, that you wouldn't have been happy either....

I think he is likely right that company management would have known a few months in advance that they were in trouble.

Yes a lot of people whine without an apparent valid reason, but this is not one of those.
Yeah. The company was probably in chaos. They screwed up. Too bad for this poster. And just maybe the owners lost everything when it went BK too and are now working at Tim’s.

Like thousands of small businesses that blew up during the pandemic. And 90% + that fail within a year or two or starting.

You think its so easy to run a small business and support yourself, as everyone seems to think here, just try it.

The deluded thinking is the same that has legions of people in my world tricked into buying Crypto scams thinking instant riches will follow. Without brutally hard work.

Too many out there want big bucks without any risk or getting their hands dirty.

imapo16
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imapo16 »

I'm not whining... I am just spitting the facts about this company. Don't you find strange that they told me 1 week before they went bankrupt that the company is landing jobs in Canada and the Carribean and I should not not be worry and that I will be getting some news very soon. How does that make you feel? Excited, especially when it's your first commercial job after school after 2 years of pandemic.

And guess what? Do you know how I've heard that they went bankrupt? You must be thinking maybe the Chief pilot or PRM that I was talking with. and nope.... They don't even reply to my email or call since the end of april. I had to go look up on LinkedIn, and DM a pilot over at the company just to learned that they got screw over. So yeah, I'm very pissed that I missed a single PIC flying opportunity elsewhere for survey. I really thought survey would be a great path. It is indeed a great path, but with the wrong company, it becomes a bad path.

Anyways, I've learned many things from this experience. And I won't be making the same mistakes in the future. Just my two cents.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

imapo16 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:37 am

I'm not whining... I am just spitting the facts about this company. Don't you find strange that they told me 1 week before they went bankrupt that the company is landing jobs in Canada and the Carribean and I should not not be worry and that I will be getting some news very soon. How does that make you feel? Excited, especially when it's your first commercial job after school after 2 years of pandemic.

And guess what? Do you know how I've heard that they went bankrupt? You must be thinking maybe the Chief pilot or PRM that I was talking with. and nope.... They don't even reply to my email or call since the end of april. I had to go look up on LinkedIn, and DM a pilot over at the company just to learned that they got screw over. So yeah, I'm very pissed that I missed a single PIC flying opportunity elsewhere for survey. I really thought survey would be a great path. It is indeed a great path, but with the wrong company, it becomes a bad path.

Anyways, I've learned many things from this experience. And I won't be making the same mistakes in the future. Just my two cents.
I think they had to load staff and make efforts to hire staff to meet the banks requirements during their demise. I’ve personally been at three larger companies that did exactly this before they shut the doors.

Another sign that this is happening is if the company brings in a ceo or coo to take the heat off the owners while pretending to make “drastic changes” to keep the lights on. I’ve been through it a few times man and it indeed sucks. You’ve learned a valuable lesson here, either way, you were used either for intended work, or something else, and to what end you’ll likely never find out.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Sat May 21, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

All small businesses in Canada are the worst sort of blood sucking scumbags. Every single one.

Government should provide six figure jobs to everyone. Private business should be banned.

Got it. I’m done here.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am All small businesses in Canada are the worst sort of blood sucking scumbags. Every single one.

Government should provide six figure jobs to everyone. Private business should be banned.

Got it. I’m done here.
Uh, ok, as a business owner I take exception to that comment but freedom of speech is something I support

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:44 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am All small businesses in Canada are the worst sort of blood sucking scumbags. Every single one.

Got it. I’m done here.
Uh, ok, as a business owner I take exception to that comment but freedom of speech is something I support
So am I. 25 years.

And I repeat: if it’s so easy the millions roll in while on the dock in Muskoka, everyone should do it.

But so is everyone, in reality. An independent contractor.

What part of that is so hard for people to understand?

Want loyalty, get a dog.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sat May 21, 2022 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

imapo16 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:37 amDon't you find strange that they told me 1 week before they went bankrupt that the company is landing jobs in Canada and the Carribean and I should not not be worry and that I will be getting some news very soon. How does that make you feel? Excited,
Hate to break it to you buddy, but your feelings as a new hire zero-hours pilot are approximately bottom of the concerns list for the management of a longstanding company that's insolvent.
rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am Got it. I’m done here.
Don't be ridiculous. You so aren't.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Got it. I’m done here.
Rookie can you sit this one out? Someone lost their job and is venting. If anything you are making this worse and adding nothing

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

newlygrounded wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:20 pm

Got it. I’m done here.
Rookie can you sit this one out? Someone lost their job and is venting. If anything you are making this worse and adding nothing
The same poster comes here and asks the forum for permission to advertise illegal chisel charters.

My sympathy is limited.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

When a company is crashing down they pretend all is normal. "see we are hiring! Things are good"

This is the same as if you go to your bank they aren't going to tell you to sell your house or don't invest. Even if they think things are crashing this year, it will look business as usual.

You just got caught wrong place wrong time.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Bluenoser29 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:22 am Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have information on what's going on with Leading Edge geomatics based in Debert NS? I noticed on their website they have been placed in interim receivership.
At the moment all their aircraft are listed as for sale.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:46 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:44 am

Got it. I’m done here.
So am I. 25 years.

And I repeat: if it’s so easy the millions roll in while on the dock in Muskoka, everyone should do it.

But so is everyone, in reality. An independent contractor.

What part of that is so hard for people to understand?

Want loyalty, get a dog.
In what discussion are you participating? Nobody has said running your own business is easy. Actually, in the last 5 years on avcanada i can't remember a single post which claimed that running a business is easy. Yet everytime someone criticizes a potentially unethical business practice, there you are, fighting the imaginary statement that running a business is easy.

If a company is not certain they would hire you, then they can tell the applicant that. Or they can tell them they are in a pool. Or actually hire and pay the guy, and then lay them off when they go bust.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:50 am
imapo16 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:37 amDon't you find strange that they told me 1 week before they went bankrupt that the company is landing jobs in Canada and the Carribean and I should not not be worry and that I will be getting some news very soon. How does that make you feel? Excited,
Hate to break it to you buddy, but your feelings as a new hire zero-hours pilot are approximately bottom of the concerns list for the management of a longstanding company that's insolvent.
What comes around goes around though. What do you think this pilot will do, down the road, if a week after line indoc at a small 703 operation he gets offered a 704 or 705 job?

Then he will be considered an asshole for leaving so quickly. Some basic decency goes a long way.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Again, for the management of his former employer, how he behaves at some future gig isn’t a concern of theirs.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Got it. I’m done here.
Why the snowflake act?

No one said anything disparaging business owners in general or you in particular yet you start swinging at imaginary foes.

All anyone is saying is that if you're on the verge of insolvency don't go promising jobs to people. Pretty basic human decency stuff.

Return to “General Comments”