Commuting

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vince99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting

Post by vince99 »

Hi, can anybody tell me about Porter’s commuting policy? Like what’s the schedule like? And if anybody has any idea of what it is commuting from YUL to YOW or YTZ and the schedule coming with it? Thank you!!
---------- ADS -----------

Timetoflyagain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Commuting

Post by Timetoflyagain »

Commuting policy is very similar to Jazz etc….if you’re in the program you need to book 2 flights before you need to be at base. Schedule is variety of single, 2/3/4 day pairings. Commuting from YUL to YOW is via your car…far faster then flying to YTZ then YOW. Schedule….like everywhere else…whatever you can hold…you’ll need a crash pad until your seniority gets decent enough to hold what you want. All bases are growing, why not just move to YOW/YHZ/YQT for lower cost of living and not deal with commuting if you can?

vince99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vince99 »

Timetoflyagain wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:31 pm Commuting policy is very similar to Jazz etc….if you’re in the program you need to book 2 flights before you need to be at base. Schedule is variety of single, 2/3/4 day pairings. Commuting from YUL to YOW is via your car…far faster then flying to YTZ then YOW. Schedule….like everywhere else…whatever you can hold…you’ll need a crash pad until your seniority gets decent enough to hold what you want. All bases are growing, why not just move to YOW/YHZ/YQT for lower cost of living and not deal with commuting if you can?
Thank you for the answer! Sure moving is interesting, but my girlfriend just got a new job with great conditions near YUL so moving is not an option for mw now. Thanks for the informations though.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Timetoflyagain wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:31 pm Commuting policy is very similar to Jazz etc….if you’re in the program you need to book 2 flights before you need to be at base. Schedule is variety of single, 2/3/4 day pairings. Commuting from YUL to YOW is via your car…far faster then flying to YTZ then YOW. Schedule….like everywhere else…whatever you can hold…you’ll need a crash pad until your seniority gets decent enough to hold what you want. All bases are growing, why not just move to YOW/YHZ/YQT for lower cost of living and not deal with commuting if you can?
Yeah you can remove YQT from your list. Housing has gone up an insane amount (houses in my neighborhood start at 700 now, highest is 1.3. Westfort average use to be 130K, for a complete reno you enter at around 380K). The rentals I have say are no longer in the $700 range, they all seem to to $1000+ but I definitely am out of touch in that market.

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

Is it feasible for a Westerner to commute? Is there a deadhead policy? Any info would be appreciated. TIA.

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

Is it feasible for a Westerner to commute? Is there a deadhead policy? Any info would be appreciated. TIA.
Porter's commuting policy was just altered on the last pilot call. Commuting between the Pilot’s assigned Crew Base and any Porter destination is
allowed, provided it is connected by a single flight leg. You are responsible for meeting the 2hr reserve call-out where applicable. Pilots commuting from any city are expected to arrive in time to report for their pairing as scheduled.

For the purposes of the single flight leg YYZ and YTZ count as one base. There are many jumpseat agreements with all major airlines. Definitely doable though I suspect you might need a crash pad or a nice family member to be able to make it work.

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

lowoleo22 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:54 pm
Porter's commuting policy was just altered on the last pilot call. Commuting between the Pilot’s assigned Crew Base and any Porter destination is
allowed, provided it is connected by a single flight leg. You are responsible for meeting the 2hr reserve call-out where applicable. Pilots commuting from any city are expected to arrive in time to report for their pairing as scheduled.

For the purposes of the single flight leg YYZ and YTZ count as one base. There are many jumpseat agreements with all major airlines. Definitely doable though I suspect you might need a crash pad or a nice family member to be able to make it work.
Thanks for the response, lot's of service out West right now - so with a crash pad in YYZ, this may work!

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

Does the commuting policy require a pilot to have a backup flight to get to YTZ/YYZ similar to other airlines policy? Does a flight on another airline count or it has to be a Porter flight?

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

Does the commuting policy require a pilot to have a backup flight to get to YTZ/YYZ similar to other airlines policy? Does a flight on another airline count or it has to be a Porter flight?
The requirement to have a certain number of flights booked/certain # of hours prior to your report was deleted. You are now expected to arrive on time for your report, they won't be checking to see how you got there. That said, if you miss your scheduled report time you will be removed from the pairing and lose that credit from your MMG. If crew sched is able to reassign you they may. Otherwise you will have first priority to overtime flying to make up the hours to your MMG. Repeatedly missing your report time is grounds for removal from the commuter program.

To summarize, you are expected to report on time. How you get there is up to you. But better be there.

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

I have heard that the jumpseat agreement with Porter is from Day 1, but for other airlines, you need to be with Porter for 6 months. Is this valid, or bad info?

bear98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bear98 »

pilotguy53 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:32 pm

I have heard that the jumpseat agreement with Porter is from Day 1, but for other airlines, you need to be with Porter for 6 months. Is this valid, or bad info?

Valid and bad at the same time lol. You just have to apply for the early commuter jumpseat agreement, say where you’re commuting from and why you need it and usually it’s approved! Only able to use it from your home to your assigned base tho, so you can’t jumpseat around the country, only for commuting to work

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

bear98 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 pm

Valid and bad at the same time lol. You just have to apply for the early commuter jumpseat agreement, say where you’re commuting from and why you need it and usually it’s approved! Only able to use it from your home to your assigned base tho, so you can’t jumpseat around the country, only for commuting to work
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. Would the early agreement permit flights on other airlines?

bear98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bear98 »

pilotguy53 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:55 pm
bear98 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:33 pm

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. Would the early agreement permit flights on other airlines?
It does as long as it’s only for yourself, commuting

Return to “Porter Airlines”