Best Headset 2022

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Best Headset 2022

Post by tbayav8er »

Hi Everyone,

First of all, yes, I realize there are lots of headset topics I could search. I just wanted to start a new thread to cover new headset models as well.

I fly a Q400 (not as quiet as a jet, not as loud as a metro). I have a David Clark H20-10, which has been great, but it's 15 years old, and I'd like something a little more comfortable with noise cancelling.

I'm leaning towards the Bose A20 or Lightspeed Zulu 3, but am open to other headets. The only thing I require is an over-ear headset. I won't wear on-ear style, or in-ear

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best Headset 2022

Post by thepoors »

The A20 and Zulu3 are both very good. It mostly comes down to an individual comfort thing. I would advise you to go try them on somewhere and see which one fits you better. Also if you wanted to stick with David Clarks but get noise cancelling and bluetooth they have the ONE-X, which is their direct competitor for the A20/Zulu3 and from reviews I've read is just as good.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Same answer as last year: Bose A20
Nothing but headaches with my Lightspeed's.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Another vote for the dc one-x. As quiet as my 10-13 when the anc is off and dead silent when the anc is on.

Daigo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Daigo »

Last edited by Daigo on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

DC Clark H10-13H most of my career. They’re awesome, haven’t even looked if they’re still available lol

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I've been a lifelong fan of the Lightspeed series. Had the QFR XC, then the Sierra and now the Zulu 3. I can see how the company has gotten progressively worse in their support and product design decisions. Would not recommend anyone get a Lightspeed going forward.

They had a great lifetime support/warranty and very well designed headsets going for them. Now they offer 5-year support with no support for older headsets, even the original Zulu which is a relatively new model. The Zulu 3 comes with a 7-year warranty and a kevlar braided cable but has enough stupid design elements that I have hated it since day 1. I couldn't return it because I got it through their trade up program and would lose a lot of money if I tried a return.

Have been heavily recommending the Bose A20 for anyone who can afford it. Or else, go for the Sierra from Lightspeed if you want similar specs for about half the price. The Zulu 3s are not worth it anymore IMHO.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I flew with Lightspeeds since the day they came out. They were excellent and I would highly recommend them. I don't have experience with the Bose over the ear headsets but that is the style that you want for a turboprop.

Once you get up to a jet, the best headset for your money is the new Bose Proflight headset. it's super comfortable, lightweight and the sound quality is excellent.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Thanks everyone - I think I'll go try on a pair of A20's and the DC One-X. I currently have a David Clark H20-10, it's 15 years old, and hasn't had a single hiccup. So I'm already leaning towards the DC's just because of the quality I've seen with my current headset. I also like how the One-X folds up. It would save space in my flight bag. I have heard a lot of good things about the Bose Proflight, but I just can't do in-ear headphones. Just a personal thing.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

tbayav8er wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:29 am Thanks everyone - I think I'll go try on a pair of A20's and the DC One-X. I currently have a David Clark H20-10, it's 15 years old, and hasn't had a single hiccup. So I'm already leaning towards the DC's just because of the quality I've seen with my current headset. I also like how the One-X folds up. It would save space in my flight bag. I have heard a lot of good things about the Bose Proflight, but I just can't do in-ear headphones. Just a personal thing.
I just looked it up, the DC H10-13s are still made, mine are 11 years old and still like brand new. I think they’re smaller than the H20-10s might be a better option if you’re in a louder aircraft. The One X are a tad small perhaps?

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:51 am
tbayav8er wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:29 am Thanks everyone - I think I'll go try on a pair of A20's and the DC One-X. I currently have a David Clark H20-10, it's 15 years old, and hasn't had a single hiccup. So I'm already leaning towards the DC's just because of the quality I've seen with my current headset. I also like how the One-X folds up. It would save space in my flight bag. I have heard a lot of good things about the Bose Proflight, but I just can't do in-ear headphones. Just a personal thing.

I just looked it up, the DC H10-13s are still made, mine are 11 years old and still like brand new. I think they’re smaller than the H20-10s might be a better option if you’re in a louder aircraft. The One X are a tad small perhaps?
To be honest, in the flight deck, the Q400 is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a jet, but quiet enough that you can talk to someone without a headset on. I do like that the One-X folds up, as space is limited in my flight bag, and it would be nice having something smaller than the H20-10's. I'll check out the H10-13's. Thanks!

ReducedSeparation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ReducedSeparation »

tbayav8er wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:52 am I'd like something a little more comfortable with noise cancelling
I bought my A20s last spring after using DC H10-60s for many years. The Bose offers fantastic sound quality and bass-heavy audio. I've had good success with their product support but I personally got a lemon and had issues with the noise cancelling at first. I also really like the case the A20s come in, and the clips along the audio cable.

Loved the DCs while I had them but after using active noise cancelling I can never go back to passive. The H10-13s are the base model for their passive noise cancelling so I would not recommend. However, I personally find the DC One-X to be more comfortable on my head than the A20s (I have a big head) and it seems to be built more durable than the Bose. Plus it's nice the DCs are cheaper than Bose.

Everyone raves that the A20s are superior, but I think I would choose the One-X if I were to get a new headset tomorrow.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

My 10-13’s are from 2003 and still great, grandfather has DC’s that go back… god knows how old they now sit next to his recliner wired into his speakers to watch tv at night without disturbing my grandmother. As for size, the one x fits perfectly over my ears but some people who tested mine found the cups too small and preferred the lightspeed for that reason.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

For anyone considering the Bose headsets, keep in mind that if you frequently switch seats (captain-captain, training, etc), it can be a pain to switch the mic side on some models.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:12 am
My 10-13’s are from 2003 and still great, grandfather has DC’s that go back… god knows how old they now sit next to his recliner wired into his speakers to watch tv at night without disturbing my grandmother. As for size, the one x fits perfectly over my ears but some people who tested mine found the cups too small and preferred the lightspeed for that reason.
I tried the one x just to see how they fit, I have a big grape, didn’t like it, and the passive filtering isn’t as good I don’t think. I guess I’m an old dog but 10-13’s have been around forever and are still going. There’s an anc version too H10-13X on different configurations which is also an option

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Fitment is a big part of headsets. Need to get one that is comfy and seals.

You could buy one of the kits to convert your existing headset?

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

DC H10-13s for GA, and ANR/ANC if you're feeling rich.

DC Pro X in the jet. Most have a 30 days return policy. Give it a crack in the Q and see how they fair out. I prefer the on ear vs the competition for a few reasons:

1) No neck band that hits your collar when looking up (clarity aloft)
2) No mic in your peripheral vision (Bose in ear)
3) Sunglasses don't break the ANR seal and I don't have to lift the headset up/off to change glasses/sunglasses etc. (Bose A20 and DC One X)

Last edited by Adam Oke on Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Bose Q25 or Q35 with ufly mic. Around US$500 all in.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

rudder wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:40 pm Bose Q25 or Q35 with ufly mic. Around US$500 all in.
Finally someone said it. I have the QC35 and the setup is the best I've ever tried and I've tried them all except the DC One X. The ufly mic setup really is amazing. The Bose headset can be recharged with an external battery pack and it doesn't take long to recharge them sufficiently to finish a flight if the noise cancelling dies mid flight. The fact you can also simply unplug the mic and use it as a regular noise cancelling headset is a god send. It's like, super comfortable and can be worn for HOURS; No clamping force whatsover.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I’ve had the DC Pro X since the day they were released and love them. Light weight, doesn’t clamp your head, noise cancelling works great.

I’ve flown everything from a SR-22, corporate jet, king airs, airbuses, and all models of the DH8 and have zero issues with them. They worked great with everything I’ve touched this far.

Return to “General Comments”