Documents required for Air Canada interview

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Documents required for Air Canada interview

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

Jetlifer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 pm
skylight wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:11 am
kiaszceski wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Interesting...

So if you failed a ride or a written exam, you can't get in AC anymore?
No, you still can. You just will need to explain to them why you failed, and what you did to improve.
So, let me get this right, they ask you to provide this file? If you’ve failed a ride / test explain your reasons why and how you improved and your still competitive for getting hired? I wasn’t sure this was something that could be released to potential employers
they ask you to print it from the transport canada website and bring it to them for the in person interview. don't know if it's a thing anymore or no but sure was in early 2020.
---------- ADS -----------

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

What kind of reference AC is looking for? Current Chief Pilot or training captain/ last recurrent ACP?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Jetlifer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 pm So, let me get this right, they ask you to provide this file? If you’ve failed a ride / test explain your reasons why and how you improved and your still competitive for getting hired? I wasn’t sure this was something that could be released to potential employers
On the flip side, it's a good way to weed out people who do not belong in the cockpit of an airliner.

If you have a history of failing every written test you take, it can show that you are possibly constantly unprepared or do not understand the material.

If you have a history of failing PPCs, it can be a big red flag.

They're likely not looking for your one or two partials or fails. They are looking for a history of fails.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

It’s honestly ridiculous. Especially considering its not a requirement at any other airline (save jazz) in this country, and none I’ve dealt with so far south of the border. Logbook printed and certified by past employers not just current? Not even a requirement by Transport for your ATPL. Print off your TC file? Come on. Copies for all interviewers and make sure to point out special parts of your logbook? Honestly some serious egos. I get AC is the top in the country, but especially Jazz being now paid less than the “705 lights” like pasco pascan cma etc? Give your head a shake.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 am It’s honestly ridiculous. Especially considering its not a requirement at any other airline (save jazz) in this country, and none I’ve dealt with so far south of the border. Logbook printed and certified by past employers not just current? Not even a requirement by Transport for your ATPL. Print off your TC file? Come on. Copies for all interviewers and make sure to point out special parts of your logbook? Honestly some serious egos. I get AC is the top in the country, but especially Jazz being now paid less than the “705 lights” like pasco pascan cma etc? Give your head a shake.
Employers can ask for whatever they want related to your ability to be trained, this requirement didn’t appear out of nowhere, it’s due to previous issues going undetected until it’s too late.
As for Jazz now being paid less than the 705 lights, I haven’t seen anything that supports that comment, can you prove that statement?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Pacific Coastal FO coming in at 1000tt 52 per hour 80mmg. Jazz is 42.

Attachments
IMG_9055.png
IMG_9055.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1735 times
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 am It’s honestly ridiculous. Especially considering its not a requirement at any other airline (save jazz) in this country, and none I’ve dealt with so far south of the border. Logbook printed and certified by past employers not just current? Not even a requirement by Transport for your ATPL. Print off your TC file? Come on. Copies for all interviewers and make sure to point out special parts of your logbook? Honestly some serious egos. I get AC is the top in the country, but especially Jazz being now paid less than the “705 lights” like pasco pascan cma etc? Give your head a shake.
I think that it is a great idea. It's not a way to sort pilots but instead a way to weed out those who do not belong in the cockpit.

If we look at the accident reports of many relatively recent crashes we can see that a good number of them have references to one or both of the pilots having a poor training record.

Colgan 3407, Atlas 3591, Lion 610, Sriwijaya 182...

I think that it should be standard practice for airlines to require this information and for airlines to use it in a cost-benefit analysis during hiring. Failing multiple rides can be fixed with proper training addressing the underlying issues, but not if it stems from issues with attitude and inherent ability, or lack thereof.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:47 am Pacific Coastal FO coming in at 1000tt 52 per hour 80mmg. Jazz is 42.
You gave one example but how many FOs are coming in over 1000 hours, most I’ve encountered at Jazz are sub 1000.
That being said, I wish Jazz would do something like that to attract more experienced pilots, the ones who are more experienced are hoping for 6 months and then a Captain seat on the next bid.
The DEC pay there is basically the same but Jazz has a better matching pension contribution and a few other benefits, anyhow it’s good to see things improving and I’m hopeful the latest MEC correspondence about the company approaching them for more talks turns into something we can be proud of.
Currently not proud of what we’ve become, yes I share the blame however I can’t say I regret my decision to extend my career at Jazz. I have no doubt, had we not played ball, CR would’ve been true to his word and “reduced us to the bare minimum” until the end of the contract, which was 2025 at the time.
I also doubt the new Jazz(possibly SR but more likely GGN) would have given Jazz pilots DOH, the right to follow the work doesn’t mean the right to seniority.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I doubt “most” jazz fo’s were coming at under 1000tt (certainly the college cadets but not ots).

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:45 am I doubt “most” jazz fo’s were coming at under 1000tt (certainly the college cadets but not ots).
You’d be wrong, I did say most “I’ve encountered” which is quite a few, in fact it’s been a while since I’ve had any of the direct from college candidates. It’s either 1500-2000 hours with ATPL looking for a quick upgrade or between 600-900 hours, some 1200ish with the ATPL exams done but still needing the night or pic and total time.
The ATPL are all saying they just want to learn the aircraft and fly it for a couple seasons then bid left seat. The DEC spots had very limited success which word got around, so non have been selecting the DEC spots in initial ground school.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

cdnavater wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:56 am
C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:45 am I doubt “most” jazz fo’s were coming at under 1000tt (certainly the college cadets but not ots).
You’d be wrong, I did say most “I’ve encountered” which is quite a few, in fact it’s been a while since I’ve had any of the direct from college candidates. It’s either 1500-2000 hours with ATPL looking for a quick upgrade or between 600-900 hours, some 1200ish with the ATPL exams done but still needing the night or pic and total time.
The ATPL are all saying they just want to learn the aircraft and fly it for a couple seasons then bid left seat. The DEC spots had very limited success which word got around, so non have been selecting the DEC spots in initial ground school.
This is getting off topic. Especially considering this is an AC thread.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

In 2012, the interviewers were concerned that I didn’t have my logbook certified when I left a previous employer 5 years earlier (although they had certified it the previous year)… I was able to get it certified and sent back to AC a week later, but in the end I got a PFO 6 weeks later. I can’t help but think it might have been different if I had had that signature at the interview. (I will never know what it was that led to the PFO, so I can only guess). Five years later I applied again, and was sure to have a complete logbook (with some photos attached to the appropriate pages, to help tell the story. That time I was successful!

As for references, you probably can’t go wrong with any former supervisor. If you know any current AC pilots, especially any who knew you in a supervisory role, I’m sure that helps. I have acted as a reference for a good number of people I used to work with… they want to know the usual things like attendance, attitude, any difficulties in training, etc. And since I was identified as an AC pilot, I was asked if I could see myself flying with that individual at AC. Ideally you want a reference who would answer “yes” to that question!!

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

My logbook was not certified, and I did not bring college transcripts. I did bring a copy of my diploma though. Nobody questioned me about the logbook but I definitely prepared the book with tabs with career highlights and they seemed to care more about that than a signature from an employer certifying my hours.

That being said, if you can get it done, just do it. Better to get it and not need it then not have it and need it etc etc.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:32 pm
What do you care, you got a PFO from AC, you’re a Porter pilot

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:57 am

For the record. I have never applied at air Canada.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:11 pm

Ok, so why the hate on Jazz?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:53 pm
I didn't see any hate on Jazz. He was simply stating the thread was drifting off topic. He's not wrong. This thread is about documents required for an AC interview, nothing more.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm not opposed to this at all. Given that new hires at major airlines are now in the 2000 hr range, the previous years-long vetting period doesn't exist.
Now, before you think any failed rides are exclusionary, in essence they aren't, we were all very much still learning at this point, but there can be some red flags that come out of the record when combined with the description and attitude. Hence the discussion based interview.
With Air Canada hiring people at 2000-3000 hrs instead of 5000, why not?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

flying4dollars wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:16 pm
cdnavater wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:53 pm

I didn't see any hate on Jazz. He was simply stating the thread was drifting off topic. He's not wrong. This thread is about documents required for an AC interview, nothing more.
There has been a back and forth in multiple threads, so I asked a snarky question, anyhow the thread drift is common because another poster implied smaller “705 lites” are paid more than Jazz which is not entirely true. So I offered a defence to that
Anyhow back to AC requiring certain documents

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Do I need to certified the logbook from flight schools too? And If my previous employer is no longer exist, or not willing to sign off my logbook due to termination. What do I do?

Return to “Air Canada”