Transport Canada Licensing Timeline

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transport Canada Licensing Timeline

Post by Dingbatt »

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience dealing with transport Canada in the last few years.

I've now waited three months since I submitted my ATPL application for a response from Transport. My type rating application has now been 7 months in the works. :roll: Obviously, I have contacted transport to confirm they have received my applications and are processing them. As far as I am aware now, there is NO method of getting anyone from licensing, or civil aviation as a whole for that matter, on the phone. Best they can do, is you send an email to the regional office and they tend to reply within 1-2 weeks (even though they say they will get back to you in 48hours). Plus, with the new Covid restrictions you are not able to visit the licensing office in person, although I am not sure that even if you did it would help as I think government workers may be working from home.

I remember back in the day, you could kind of trick transport into getting on the phone with you by calling up to book an exam, then just ask them other stuff, but now even the exam booking is a lengthy process done over email.

I know its government, but even my EASA ATPL took nine working days to process from the so called bureaucracy of the European union. The FAA have IACRA which at least is a transparent process where you can check the status online. Transport is just a black hole, they have all my logbooks and its just silence from them.

Am I doing something wrong here? Does anyone else have any tips for the licensing process with TC?
---------- ADS -----------

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Transport Canada Licensing Timeline

Post by RockSalty »

What region are you in? I was able to get a hold of someone at Atlantic TC and within hours I had my temp ATPL issued. Just got the sticker in the mail today and its not even been two weeks yet. The person I spoke to said to just keep calling until it gets done.

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingbatt »

RockSalty wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:54 pm What region are you in? I was able to get a hold of someone at Atlantic TC and within hours I had my temp ATPL issued. Just got the sticker in the mail today and its not even been two weeks yet. The person I spoke to said to just keep calling until it gets done.
Wow thats crazy! Im in Pacific, and I can't seem to get anyone on the phone. Even exam bookings are done over email.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

From my perspective TC has all but abdicated its role as a regulator.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

As of twelve days ago, a TC "Service Team Support" agent told me that the level of service for ATPL applications is 40 business days.

Call and go to the billing department and try to get transferred from there.

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingbatt »

goingmissed wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 am
Call and go to the billing department and try to get transferred from there.
Okay so thanks for the advice @goingmissed, that actually worked. I was able to get someone from licensing on the phone and the helpfully informed me that my target date for completion was three weeks ago. He then said the person responsible for my file is "out of the office" and "won't be back soon", best he can do is change the priority to high and leave a note :lol:

Im 119 days for ATPL now, 258 for type rating :rolleyes:

Apparently the temporary ATPL can only be issued when you first apply. Definitely should have done that.

Return to “Flight Training”