Vote to end restrictions

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Vote to end restrictions

Post by altiplano »

Semantics and bullshit. That's all you got.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don't think so.

I just came back from a short trip to the UK, where unleaded is CAD$3.15 per litre. People there look at Canadian gas prices with envy, and would wonder what on earth you're moaning about.

It’s your positive choice to compare Canada to countries against which Canada compares unfavourably.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Yes gas has always been expensive in the UK, but their country is a fraction of the size. They also have real public transit. There is no public transit where I live. Their climate, especially winters aren’t as harsh so they can ride bikes.

Let’s Go Brandon
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

photofly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:56 am I don't think so.

I just came back from a short trip to the UK, where unleaded is CAD$3.15 per litre. People there look at Canadian gas prices with envy, and would wonder what on earth you're moaning about.

It’s your positive choice to compare Canada to countries against which Canada compares unfavourably.
It’s 1,78£/L, they are not paid in $CAD so your argument and their envy are irrelevant. My sister in law earns 130k£ in the UK for a job that would pay 130k$CAD here; she pays 2000£ for the mortgage…not 3600$ CAD. Compare 1:1 or convert the disposable income too (use the median salary for each country).
In short: more than 1,78$CAD/L = I look at their fuel price with envy!

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:15 pm
BTD wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:57 pm
altiplano wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm

Semantics. New world then. I posted the numbers above.
Europe and the UK are not in the Western Hemisphere. Considered part of the “west” yes. But not hemisphere.
You'll know there's a northern hemisphere, because there's a north pole, and a southern hemisphere, because there's a south pole. But there's no east pole, or west pole, so the "western hemisphere" isn't a thing, right?

And if you try to tell me it is a thing, then let me ask you, western in relation to what? Because if you keep going west long enough, you get to the "east", which Europe definitely isn't. And if it isn't east, it must be west.
:roll:

https://www.britannica.com/place/Western-Hemisphere

“Western Hemisphere, part of Earth comprising North and South America and the surrounding waters. Longitudes 20° W and 160° E are often considered its boundaries. Some geographers, however, define the Western Hemisphere as being the half of Earth that lies west of the Greenwich meridian (prime meridian, 0° longitude) continuing to the 180th meridian. According to this scheme, the Western Hemisphere includes not only North and South America but also portions of Africa, Europe, Antarctica, and Asia.”

“In geopolitical terms, the context in which the term is most often used, the Encyclopedia Britannica defines it as "North and South America and the surrounding waters. Longitudes 20°W and 160°E are often considered its boundaries."

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

FL320 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:05 am
photofly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:56 am I don't think so.

It’s 1,78£/L, they are not paid in $CAD so your argument and their envy are irrelevant. My sister in law earns 130k£ in the UK for a job that would pay 130k$CAD here; she pays 2000£ for the mortgage…not 3600$ CAD. Compare 1:1 or convert the disposable income too (use the median salary for each country).
In short: more than 1,78$CAD/L = I look at their fuel price with envy!
Well *my* sister-in-law earns the same wage in London as she would for the same job in Canada. And pays four times the mortgage for a 700 sq.ft. flat than she would in Toronto. Fuel in London on Saturday was GBP1.86 per litre.

Again, you're cherry picking your data and your methods to suit your argument. Which is your right to do. But don't get squiffy when I point that out.

So, for fairness, let's hear your comparison about cost of living, and disposable income in all those other "Western Hemisphere" countries that you want Canada to look poor against: how does the price of gas compare with disposable income in Guatemala, Jamaica, Chile, Nicaragua, or Puerto Rico, if those countries have such cheap gas that Canada should be ashamed?
convert the disposable income too (use the median salary for each country).
Median income in Guatemala is about USD$15,000. Guess that gas doesn't look quite so cheap now?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

You want me to compare Canada to other 3rd world countries instead of 1st world countries? So glad I am leaving this country, I have no faith in the future here…

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"Cherry picking"

Versus you latching on to semantics, and being wrong at that...

I remember when I first started going to the Europe around 30 years ago, I mostly spent time in Switzerland and France, gas was basically exactly double the price of here.

Now? Average price premium gas (95 octane):
Switzerland: 1.97 chf (2.55 cad)
France : 1.89 eur (2.54 cad)
Canada: 2.25 cad

How times have changed, certainly not double anymore.
source: https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/countries/

Not to mention these countries import to meet almost all of their energy needs versus Canada is the 5th largest oil producer in the world.

And as mentioned, the vast difference in size of these countries, access to public transport, intercity transport, climate differences, average wages, taxation differences... leaves us on the short end of the stick regards to meeting public needs.

Bottom line is that inflation and taxation and public services and infrastructure are being mismanaged by this government.

And to circle back to the topic of this thread: Vote to end restrictions - which all the Libs and NDP save one voted to extend - continued restrictions which are no longer justified by any expert publicly are hurting this country, our citizens, and our reputation in the world.

Perspective from the globalist, elitist bubble is very different from the average people trying to make it work.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

FL320 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:14 am You want me to compare Canada to other 3rd world countries instead of 1st world countries? So glad I am leaving this country, I have no faith in the future here…
I don’t want you to compare Canada at all. I wasn’t the one who introduced the comparison.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Jeesh, there are some creative calculations going on here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country
Surprise, Canada has a higher median and mean income than most European countries.

So you have a *higher* income and a *lower* absolute fuel price. Which means that fuel prices are actually cheaper in Canada than in Europe. Both in absolute values as in perceived cost.

So yeah, time to accept the horrible conclusion that we are *not* the worst off, and that there are people that have more right to complain about the economic realities than us.

Sorry eh.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

You guys don’t get it. End the restrictions?

What are you, a bunch of misogynistic racist homophobics?

Follow the science! And shut up. We are in charge!

(I googled “follow the science”. This is the most recent Liberal statement that came up)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conser ... -1.6396233

NDP MP Don Davies, the party's health critic, said withdrawing vaccine mandates now would be "irresponsible" and "harmful to the health of Canadians."

Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureux, the parliamentary secretary to the government House leader, called the Conservative motion "stupid."

"The Conservatives can't click their heels together and wish the pandemic would come to an end," he said, saying the party has become a "far-right" movement that panders to anti-vaccine elements.

Addressing the Commons on the motion, Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said the government is aware of how disruptive some of these restrictions have been for Canadians over the past two years — but he suggested that with the highly transmissible Omicron variant and its subvariant, BA.2, in circulation, it's too soon to drop all restrictions now.

"We do want to put COVID behind us but we can't take our success for granted," Duclos said. "COVID-19 is still very much present in Canada and we must be cautious. The epidemiological situation in Canada is improving but it is unstable. We must not let our guard down."

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Partial. Temporary. Don’t hold your breath.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... ules-mount

Some highlighted quotes though on Trudeaus continued stance:

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra has faced a barrage of criticism for his government’s perceived inaction, with politicians, industry groups and airlines all calling for the government to remove restrictions.

(Isn’t this just “inexperienced traveller’s”?)

Tam says 4 shots. Minimum.

Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, said Friday that two doses is not enough to protect people anymore.

“Two doses is not enough to provide vaccine effectiveness against Omicron infection,” she said. “You need a booster, or a third dose rather, to bring that immunity back up.”

And, its all the Conservatives fault. Again.

Parliamentary Secretary for Health and Liberal MP Adam van Koeverden accused the Conservatives of being “in denial” about the COVID-19 pandemic.

“While we are in a much better place today than we were previously, this pandemic is not over and we must be prepared for any potential future scenarios,”

This is today!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The Lieberals can take their booster shots and shove them. How the hell do these morons keep getting elected? They're just going to push more people out of the workforce and fuel the phoney vax paper industry that much more.

Let’s Go Brandon
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:36 pm The Lieberals can take their booster shots and shove them. How the hell do these morons keep getting elected? They're just going to push more people out of the workforce and fuel the phoney vax paper industry that much more.
Gee, This site LOVES Trudeau. Science and the Hair, too.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

I love all are politicians in Canada who are willing to tax me to keep me safe. Trudeau handing money to switch health with his little under the table kick backs… mhmmm I love the Covid testing because it keeps me safe. Doug Fords apps and bracelets, please tax me more so you can invent something new that keeps me safe.

In fact, if I could just give all my pay cheque to the government so they could find ways to keep me safe I would be happy. We need more rules, more safety, more SOPs. Why don’t you guys want to follow the SOPs? Right? 🤡

You guys think we need to remove restrictions? Are you kidding me? Let’s talk about the science and facts. Cases in Canada are reported higher today than on the same date in 2020, and 2021 combined. So we are vaccinated right? Here is another fact! 2 shots is useless against Covid, you need a perpetual cycle of boosters bi monthly to have any noticeable protection. Millions of Canadians are past 6 months from their second shot, they are basically unvaccinated as far as science is concerned. Remove restrictions? Ha! We need more restrictions guys! Be consistent… if you thought we needed face diapers when Covid cases were a third of what they are today, how could you even consider dropping these policies.

Why is it the covidians quietly disappeared and don’t advocate with the liberal government anymore? Aren’t you guys going to come out and preach the JT science book and defend his Covid policies. If the policy made sense 6 months ago certainly it makes sense today right? If the policy was effective 6 months ago, certainly it’s effective today right? Or was this all just bullshit theatre, manipulation and transfer of wealth with gov contracts and our stolen tax dollars. Canada is clown land 🤡.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:26 am Its mean spirited spite.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... t-of-spite
Remember when cdnavater told altiplano
cdnavater wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:38 am obviously the only way to protect us from ourselves is government imposed restrictions.
🤡🤡🤡supporter of clown land government🤡🤡🤡

The only way to protect ourselves is the government! Sounds like religion. Preach cdnavater, Preach!

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:26 am Its mean spirited spite.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... t-of-spite
You know it’s bad when the media is starting to turn on its beloved Fidel Junior.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Covid”