Top Paid AMEs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Top Paid AMEs

Post by Pat Richard »

Found wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:38 pm We managed to keep a guy who had a written offer for $42.00. We have lost a few this spring.
So he had a written offer from somewhere else, but he turned it down for lesser pay and stay in windsor?

So what is AAR paying?
---------- ADS -----------

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Pat Richard wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 pm
Found wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:38 pm We managed to keep a guy who had a written offer for $42.00. We have lost a few this spring.
So he had a written offer from somewhere else, but he turned it down for lesser pay and stay in windsor?

So what is AAR paying?

$42/hr and endorsed on 737…….. is this 2005?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:25 am

So what is AAR paying?
$42/hr and endorsed on 737…….. is this 2005?
I wouldn’t get out of bed for that as an ACA

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

So what is AAR paying?
Is $42/hr actually a thing on 737s as an Aca?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:08 am

So what is AAR paying?
Pathetically YES. These O2 thieves think a licensed AME is worth less than a tractor or boat mechanic. Makes me want to projectile vomit

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:08 am

So what is AAR paying?
Pathetically YES. These O2 thieves think a licensed AME is worth less than a tractor or boat mechanic. Makes me want to projectile vomit

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

-42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:44 am Can you imagine making 35 dollars an hour in 2022 as a licences AME to “have fun in the North”. Well Alkan Air seems to think that’s acceptable. I made more money than that 15 years ago “to have fun in the North”. I am hoping that was a typo. All travel, accommodations etcetera were covered back then too plus per diem. What a joke aviation is. Good luck to all that apply in convincing yourself you are “having fun in the North” and you also get to be “on call”. I am ever grateful I am out of that slimy industry. Pathetic.
It’s horrible, I have enough training I’m worth more for other operators but still a crapshoot. No one has a firm wage in mind when you interview. Best to be straight up about wage expectations before an in person interview and wasting resources

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Crossthreaded wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:11 am
-42 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:44 am Can you imagine making 35 dollars an hour in 2022 as a licences AME to “have fun in the North”. Well Alkan Air seems to think that’s acceptable. I made more money than that 15 years ago “to have fun in the North”. I am hoping that was a typo. All travel, accommodations etcetera were covered back then too plus per diem. What a joke aviation is. Good luck to all that apply in convincing yourself you are “having fun in the North” and you also get to be “on call”. I am ever grateful I am out of that slimy industry. Pathetic.
It’s horrible, I have enough training I’m worth more for other operators but still a crapshoot. No one has a firm wage in mind when you interview. Best to be straight up about wage expectations before an in person interview and wasting resources
If you knew the actual losers at the top of the food chain in this ridiculous industry and how they think, you’d understand. They do have a wage they will pay in mind and they won’t step over that line EVER.
More and more operators are just hiring new licenses by the bushel at a third the price of experienced guys to compensate for evaporated experience. That’s how non technician management think, you are disposable there’s always new grads in line that will work for less than the last guy. Even one of my customers suggested to me that my guys are “just parts changers”, needless to say we don’t deal with them anymore.

It’s gross they don’t post wages more often, it should be required federally by law. I think there are a few provinces that require that job ads post wage, maritimes if I’m not mistaken. I digress, there’s a reason people are leaving Canada for work in aviation. I don’t feel sorry at all for this group of a-holes that couldn’t care less for their staff.

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

What about corporate and management ames?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Crossthreaded wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 pm What about corporate and management ames?
I think I may have answered this before but 50-55/hr is top end as a contractor from what I hear

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

That's what I've been seeing also and generally the higher end takes away paid for travel. They offer like a $500 travel allowance regardless of how far you are expected to travel. I also understand that it is not paid up front, so the contractor has to cover it. God knows the BS involved in getting it afterwards.

In any case, nothing really has changed. There is a ridiculosly low set amount that companies/agencies are willing to part with and they rebundle it to appear that the rates have increased. That tactic goes back at least 20 years but it's insane that it's still in practice in todays market.

Aviation, at least for maintenance in Canada, has never been party to "supply and demand". It's always been in a arrogant delusional bubble, as is very obvious today.

They will never value experienced AME's and will always consider them as replaceable.

Simple evidence of this is the recruiting drives by the industry. When do you ever see any publicised media campaign talking about retaining an experienced workforce?
It's always "attract new faces". I know personally of ACA threatening not to hire from said school if they do not get first crack at graduates over other companies. The mentality resembles Russian military doctrine of throwing bodies at a problem.

Its going to be very interesting to see what survives in the next few years. Economic pressures are going to make it even worse.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:37 am That's what I've been seeing also and generally the higher end takes away paid for travel. They offer like a $500 travel allowance regardless of how far you are expected to travel. I also understand that it is not paid up front, so the contractor has to cover it. God knows the BS involved in getting it afterwards.

In any case, nothing really has changed. There is a ridiculosly low set amount that companies/agencies are willing to part with and they rebundle it to appear that the rates have increased. That tactic goes back at least 20 years but it's insane that it's still in practice in todays market.

Aviation, at least for maintenance in Canada, has never been party to "supply and demand". It's always been in a arrogant delusional bubble, as is very obvious today.

They will never value experienced AME's and will always consider them as replaceable.

Simple evidence of this is the recruiting drives by the industry. When do you ever see any publicised media campaign talking about retaining an experienced workforce?
It's always "attract new faces". I know personally of ACA threatening not to hire from said school if they do not get first crack at graduates over other companies. The mentality resembles Russian military doctrine of throwing bodies at a problem.

Its going to be very interesting to see what survives in the next few years. Economic pressures are going to make it even worse.
Ya and I’ve never been limited in Canada on travel expenses (in helicopters) even in 2022, I invoice my expenses and perdiems and carry on. Seems like the fixed wing world is a little more rigid on the stipends. I wonder what places like KFC and AC are paying for contractors now..

Return to “Maintenance”