King Air Rudder Pedal Full Deflection

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

King Air Rudder Pedal Full Deflection

Post by pelmet »

I wouldn't have though that the yaw damper on the 100 series would be able to deflect the rudder pedals fully.....

Google translate from French:
C-GJLJ, a Beechcraft A100 operated by . Inc. as PRO4800, was on a flight
under instrument flight rules from Rouyn-Noranda, QC Airport (CYUY) to
destination Montreal/Mirabel, QC (CYMX). During the initial climb after wheel retraction,
the crew felt a yaw to the right that increased to the point where the rudder pedals
found at full deflection to the right. The aircraft deviated from the trajectory authorized by ATC. The
pilots tried to apply pedals to the left, but the pedals did not move.
The crew managed to stabilize the aircraft with the ailerons and declared an emergency. They came back
at CYUY and flew the approach for Runway 08. The aircraft became stable again when the wheels
were taken out and the aircraft landed without incident. An inspection was carried out by the
maintenance personnel and a fault was found in the autopilot system as well as
in the system attached to the yaw damper.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: King Air Rudder Pedal Full Deflection

Post by PilotDAR »

I can't say about the King Air A100, but the B200 has a special condition in its certification which is not well known. It can reach yaw angles in flight approaching 40 degrees in either direction. This can be aggravated with the gear extended. The stability in yaw is less that ideal, though still positive. So normal pilot effort will return the plane to coordinated flight. During testing of this characteristic while testing a tail boom, I found it un nerving, though I was expecting it. Without expecting it, it's probably pretty alarming.

SeanMountainous
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SeanMountainous »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:37 am I can't say about the King Air A100, but the B200 has a special condition in its certification which is not well known. It can reach yaw angles in flight approaching 40 degrees in either direction. This can be aggravated with the gear extended. The stability in yaw is less that ideal, though still positive. So normal pilot effort will return the plane to coordinated flight. During testing of this characteristic while testing a tail boom, I found it un nerving, though I was expecting it. Without expecting it, it's probably pretty alarming.
Wow! No thank you.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Of course turning off the Auto Pilot is NOT the first reaction.
Really ????

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'ts been quite a while since I flew a 100, does it have rudder boost like the 200?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:14 pm I'ts been quite a while since I flew a 100, does it have rudder boost like the 200?
No rudder boost. But isn't that separate from the autopilot and yaw damper.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:25 pm
co-joe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:14 pm I'ts been quite a while since I flew a 100, does it have rudder boost like the 200?
No rudder boost. But isn't that separate from the autopilot and yaw damper.
On the 200 rudder boost is driven by bleed air and a delta P switch. It definitely has been known to fail and cause a rudder pedal to deflect erroneously, but it's doesn't go right to the floor, and you can either switch it off, or turn one bleed off to disable it. On the 1900 I believe is was a function of the yaw damp, but I can't recall exactly. I just can't imagine what in a 100 would cause that. At least the crew didn't interpret it as an engine failure.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”