YTZ FOs! Where do you live? Jk I’m not fbi.

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sierra_aviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

YTZ FOs! Where do you live? Jk I’m not fbi.

Post by sierra_aviator »

Am I stupid to think that I can afford a bachelor suite walkable distance away and throw away my car?
Should I live out of DT and commute? Or commute from other bases? Which is more practical? Share some wisdom please wise ones!
Anything other than 200 dolla tent under the bridge. And I want a dog too. Anyone looking for roomies?
---------- ADS -----------

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: YTZ FOs! Where do you live? Jk I’m not fbi.

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

The trick is to find two crash pads and rotate your life between them so no one realizes they are both your primary residence.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Boeingman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boeingman »

live with mom and dad

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

My 2 cents if you are considering working here and being based out of YTZ.

Living downtown is more economical in my honest opinion than trying to commute. It's not like a 1br here is 2k and one in Oshawa is 1k. The difference is generally 2-300 dollars. With gas being the way it is, you will EASILY blow through that in a month. That two hour reserve callout will seem short when you're staring at tailights on the 401. Don't think the GO train is cheap either with its 24 dollar round trips and delays. Hard to rely on any mode of transportation these days.

Its expensive but doable, my partner and I pay a bit under 1100$ each for our 1br DT... that includes everything. Having a partner to split expenses really really helps. I can pretty much walk into the island and be on my way.

This is the reality however for a lot of professionals starting out these days.

sierra_aviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sierra_aviator »

vanislepilot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 am My 2 cents if you are considering working here and being based out of YTZ.

Living downtown is more economical in my honest opinion than trying to commute. It's not like a 1br here is 2k and one in Oshawa is 1k. The difference is generally 2-300 dollars. With gas being the way it is, you will EASILY blow through that in a month. That two hour reserve callout will seem short when you're staring at tailights on the 401. Don't think the GO train is cheap either with its 24 dollar round trips and delays. Hard to rely on any mode of transportation these days.

Its expensive but doable, my partner and I pay a bit under 1100$ each for our 1br DT... that includes everything. Having a partner to split expenses really really helps. I can pretty much walk into the island and be on my way.

Yep. With Porter.

I can’t find anything cheaper than 2k (studio) walking distance to YTZ, including everything. I was even considering to sell my car and do that cuz it seems reasonable to me too. With Porter fo pay, it appears to be very risky life financially. Got no family there either. And I am hella single. :(

Wanna say no but also I want the job. How does fos live there?

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

sierra_aviator wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 pm
vanislepilot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 am My 2 cents if you are considering working here and being based out of YTZ.

Yep. With Porter.

I can’t find anything cheaper than 2k (studio) walking distance to YTZ, including everything. I was even considering to sell my car and do that cuz it seems reasonable to me too. With Porter fo pay, it appears to be very risky life financially. Got no family there either. And I am hella single. :(

Lots of us manage. You can actually find furnished all inclusive rooms for 1100-1300 and live with 2 others. It be the same situation if you lived in YVR as well if not worse. You will spend approx 35-40 percent of your FO wage on rent.

A little bit of overtime can help you too. Ditching the car will definitely save you a load of money.

It's sucks a lot. I wish we could do something about it but it's not that simple. However don't be too short sighted either. Captains are short at porter and you can upgrade fast. Your salary will then almost double and you can make things work way easier. You will only really be an FO for a year from the looks of things.

YUL and YYC are by far the most affordable of the regional airline bases. Regardless I'm sure whichever choice you make you'll be just fine my friend.

PM me if you want our detailed budget :) believe it or not, there is money left over for fun stuff too!

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

sierra_aviator wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Yep. With Porter.

Check viewit.ca found it to be helpful in the past, saw sooooome cheaper places

Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

Vanislepilot - you think upgrades are going to be that quick? I've heard mixed from different captains.

On the one hand - jets, people will want to be able to climb over weather instead of go through/divert around.
on the other hand - Do you really want to be sitting reserve for months on end and need to call and get them to find you a pairing so you keep currency?

Just my thoughts on it.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

When I worked for Porter, I lived (and still live) in London. Reserve was short lived. I think it was a few months if I recall? It was easy to hold the long 4 day pairings, but there were only a small percentage of them. I used to run 3 (4) day pairings + 1 split a month. Lots of nights on the road, but a great "commuter" schedule. Not sure what it's like these days. I will always trade the house with front yard and back yard for the long commute. Worth it in my opinion. That being said, there are those that love that down town lifestyle and there were very few on the out skirts like I am. To each his/her own.

They seems to hire some great people, and I know a lot of fantastic ones still around! Have fun!

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Rocinante wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:17 pm Vanislepilot - you think upgrades are going to be that quick? I've heard mixed from different captains.

On the one hand - jets, people will want to be able to climb over weather instead of go through/divert around.
on the other hand - Do you really want to be sitting reserve for months on end and need to call and get them to find you a pairing so you keep currency?

Just my thoughts on it.
The way things are going, if you have an ATPL it will definitely be quick. YTZ is short captains right now. We even had a guy in the process of upgrading cancel and go to AC.

The jets are well... I dont know to be honest. It's so new for all of us that I don't think anyone has the proper answers. As for reserve, you are definitely going flying if you are on the qcumber. Reserve is super chill if you live downtown. Plus you never have to report earlier than 6.

Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

Naw, YOW base here, won't get into specifics, but aside from "time on type", I have all prerequisites to go left seat.

No desire to move to YTZ at this time either, I like being able to afford ramen and hot dogs. :lol:

NTPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NTPilot »

Hi,

I’m just wondering! I’m hearing porter is increasing the salaries for so many departments like dispatchers now make $60k+ based on new raise or other department similar thing.

But still I have not seen any pay raise for pilots!
Does it effect anyone that want to stay in porter long term ?
I was thinking joining porter couple of months ago but with a simple math I could not afford living by myself without using my saving!

PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

Lol. If you can’t afford porter, you can’t afford jazz either. Pilots will be the last group at an airline to see a pay raise.

Return to “Porter Airlines”