US Airlines Hiring Canadians

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: US Airlines Hiring Canadians

Post by JHR »

You don't need the FAA ATP to apply but it is a huge strike against you in the eyes of immigration.
---------- ADS -----------

ThatGuyHoldingShort
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatGuyHoldingShort »

JHR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:30 am You don't need the FAA ATP to apply but it is a huge strike against you in the eyes of immigration.
the way these lawyers do it, it really isn't.
i think what they want and i can't remember the exact number so don't quote me but i believe it's either 5 years or 10 years in the aviation industry for your chances to be extremely high. ATPL doesn't change much as they know you'll spend the 5k in the states to convert regardless.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Depends on which lawyer you talk to I guess

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

ThatGuyHoldingShort wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:27 am
We_tu_lo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:07 am Atlas air is actively recruiting Canadians under the EB-2 visa but I believe you need to have your FAA ATP done before they'll sponsor you.

It's not difficult, just a bit expensive. Here is a good run-down:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/skiesmag.c ... ate/%3famp
Yes I have all the info on this but there's also a reason why over 600 of their pilots left in the last 2 years to go to the legacy carriers in the US. The conditions are NOT very good.

There are many agencies right now that are offering green cards for pilots. The fees are in the roughly 18-20K USD range and obviously don't guarantee anything.
The wait times are between 18-24 months.
FFA ATPL not required at the time of application.
Could be lucrative or I honestly think that within five years we'll be able to apply almost anywhere on earth and get sponsored.
Be careful with the wording! No agency is offering green cards for pilots, and if they are then it is a scam to make some easy money of the vulnerable lol....I would NEVER recommend any pilot fall for the EB2 visa processing. Like you said "it doesnt guarantee anything", but reality is that there is literally zero chance that the average ATPL pilot would be able to obtain one. Even with thousands of hours. An applicant has to have exceptional/advanced education and specific sought after job experience.

We talked to our immigration attorney last year to try to look into it and it is a big big big time/money waster. If youre looking for the shortest, fastest way to try to immigrate, family sponsorship in the CR1/IR1 category. Got my visa approved in less than 7 months from filing date.

We_tu_lo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by We_tu_lo »

ThatGuyHoldingShort wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:27 am
We_tu_lo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:07 am Atlas air is actively recruiting Canadians under the EB-2 visa but I believe you need to have your FAA ATP done before they'll sponsor you.

It's not difficult, just a bit expensive. Here is a good run-down:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/skiesmag.c ... ate/%3famp
Yes I have all the info on this but there's also a reason why over 600 of their pilots left in the last 2 years to go to the legacy carriers in the US. The conditions are NOT very good.

There are many agencies right now that are offering green cards for pilots. The fees are in the roughly 18-20K USD range and obviously don't guarantee anything.
The wait times are between 18-24 months.
FFA ATPL not required at the time of application.
Could be lucrative or I honestly think that within five years we'll be able to apply almost anywhere on earth and get sponsored.
Hey if you hate money and have at least one accident on your record there's always AC.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Once the U.S air industry is authorized to import pilots on H1Bs, that's when things will get serious and be a turning point for Canadian flight crew.

At this point the NIW is a giant barrier for most pilots considering U.S employment. You'd think it's great, get down there and go anywhere - but a self sponsored visa puts the onus and costs on the applicant, not to mention the bar to qualify is currently at astronaut levels of experience.

For most Canadian pilots considering U.S employment, they'll just have to watch from the sidelines until the U.S employers are given the green light to hire directly, at which point I hope Canadian aviation will be set for a massive shakeup. Likely 5-10% of experienced airline and corporate ATPL aviators are going to head south immediately, with probably another 20% to follow shortly thereafter. Working in the U.S isn't for everybody, so I would imagine the other 70ish% will hang around while things get juicy here.

See what happens in the next 12 months.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Inflation induced recession coming so dont hold y'all breaths on border opening soon.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

goingmissed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:02 pm There are around 14,000 current ATP licenses issued in Canada.The estimates for pilot shortages in the US have a need for 8000-12,000 ATPs in the US in 2023.

I don't think Canadians are the solution to the American pilot shortage, but the US allowing Canadians to fill those spots is part of the solution to the Canadian pilot pay shortage.
Americans were never shy to let other professionals work in the USA. Speaking from personal experience, (family members), it was VERY easy to obtain a visa to work in the USA, but it was not in aviation.

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

Rather than holding your breath for the USA to ease the immigration restrictions for us Canadian aviators (which is unlikely to happen) why don’t the majority host a strike across the entire country. I’ve seen people in the construction industry stop working as a a collective and as a result pay wages have increased. We all know how vital aviation is to the economy so I believe a strike should be beneficial for the future of aviation in Canada. Because right now it’s honestly appalling we can compare starting pay wages with operators in “third world” countries :rolleyes:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

firstofficer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:31 pm Rather than holding your breath for the USA to ease the immigration restrictions for us Canadian aviators (which is unlikely to happen) why don’t the majority host a strike across the entire country. I’ve seen people in the construction industry stop working as a a collective and as a result pay wages have increased. We all know how vital aviation is to the economy so I believe a strike should be beneficial for the future of aviation in Canada. Because right now it’s honestly appalling we can compare starting pay wages with operators in “third world” countries :rolleyes:
The government sees flightcrew as essential employees and would force those workers back to work taking away their bargaining power.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm
firstofficer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:31 pm Rather than holding your breath for the USA to ease the immigration restrictions for us Canadian aviators (which is unlikely to happen) why don’t the majority host a strike across the entire country. I’ve seen people in the construction industry stop working as a a collective and as a result pay wages have increased. We all know how vital aviation is to the economy so I believe a strike should be beneficial for the future of aviation in Canada. Because right now it’s honestly appalling we can compare starting pay wages with operators in “third world” countries :rolleyes:
The government sees flightcrew as essential employees and would force those workers back to work taking away their bargaining power.
How?

I know they did (or attempted to) do that in the past. But how was that enforced?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 pm
How?

I know they did (or attempted to) do that in the past. But how was that enforced?
Something to this effect...

'Air Canada’s 6,800 flight attendants called off their planned strike after a move from the federal Conservatives made a walkout illegal.

The procedural move came after Labour Minister Lisa Raitt sent the long-simmering dispute to the Canada Industrial Relations Board for review, citing concern about whether the flight attendants provide an essential service so the health and safety of the nation would be in jeopardy in the event of a strike.'

From the Toronto Star 2011. Can't remember if they did the same thing for the CAW employees as well due to travel disruptions.

They just will it as illegal and disrupt the legal striking process before it's had a chance to benefit the striking party.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 pm How?

Can an employee who occupies a designated position cross a picket line to report to work?

Employees who occupy designated positions are prohibited from participating in a strike and must report to work.
Also:
What are essential services?

The Government of Canada must ensure that Canadians have access to essential services in the event of a strike. The Public Service Labour Relations Act defines an essential service as: "a service, facility or activity of the Government of Canada that is or will be, at any time, necessary for the safety or security of the public or a segment of the public."
From the "Essential Services" - FAQ's page.

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... vices.html

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:49 pm

How?

'Air Canada’s 6,800 flight attendants called off their planned strike after a move from the federal Conservatives made a walkout illegal.

The procedural move came after Labour Minister Lisa Raitt sent the long-simmering dispute to the Canada Industrial Relations Board for review, citing concern about whether the flight attendants provide an essential service so the health and safety of the nation would be in jeopardy in the event of a strike.'

From the Toronto Star 2011. Can't remember if they did the same thing for the CAW employees as well due to travel disruptions.

They just will it as illegal and disrupt the legal striking process before it's had a chance to benefit the striking party.
That would be challenged and they would lose if a union has the fortitude to follow it through.

Supreme court precedent exists.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:09 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:49 pm

How?

That would be challenged and they would lose if a union has the fortitude to follow it through.

Supreme court precedent exists.
Knowing your dislike for ACPA now, I'm sure you'd agree in this day and age that ACPA lacks such a fortitude to challenge both the government and AC management in the quest for wages and working conditions inline with the greater industry.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Management wannabes. They lack fortitude and everything else.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I hate to say it but there’s a big recession coming soon on both sides of the border with the added bonus of hyper inflation. I don’t think a lot of folks realize how bad this is going to be. Throw in a new release of covid 2.0 this fall just to throw fuel on the fire. Hold on to your seats.

Let’s Go Brandon
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 am I hate to say it but there’s a big recession coming soon on both sides of the border with the added bonus of hyper inflation. I don’t think a lot of folks realize how bad this is going to be. Throw in a new release of covid 2.0 this fall just to throw fuel on the fire. Hold on to your seats.
I'm very curious about your economic knowledge and experience.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

This was mentioned before, and I still can't find the reference, but I am 99.9% sure that the standing legislation that was specifically created to allow Raitt to enforce the back-to-work action is no longer in force. I'm not sure how the structure works, whether it expired, or wasn't permanently written, not sure, but I know I read a report about 3 years ago stating it was "Quietly removed".

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 am I hate to say it but there’s a big recession coming soon on both sides of the border with the added bonus of hyper inflation. I don’t think a lot of folks realize how bad this is going to be. Throw in a new release of covid 2.0 this fall just to throw fuel on the fire. Hold on to your seats.
I'm very curious about your economic knowledge and experience.
I’m definitely not an economist, trust me. I do know some pretty well versed people on the subject though. Just look at the prices of everything. Everything costs more but wages are stagnant for the most part. The interest rates are going up as well. Eventually something’s gotta give. Don’t need an economic degree to see what’s on the horizon. Don’t shoot the messenger!

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”