Minimum hours ?!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Minimum hours ?!

Post by wing'd »

hello Fellow Cloud Surfers. :mrgreen:

Just had a question that may potentially help a lot of people seeking a job out there ( I know it will help me)

Quite simply, If a company states : minimum 500TT or 750TT

i know obviously if someone with 1000 hrs apply would take priority over someone with 500TT. But when a company states minimum, should people who apply to said mins should even expect a callback? or should you comfortably apply once you have past +200/+500 minimums
( i know you should apply anyways and try your luck) but for anyone who has had jobs, what was your experience? did you get hired at your current hours? or were you past/double your hours where you started to get phone calls? ( i have heard or people even getting hire with lesser than minimum hours required which is amazing)

Tl;Dr - How hard are minimum requirements?

thank you guys in advance! :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Minimum hours ?!

Post by digits_ »

wing'd wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:30 pm hello Fellow Cloud Surfers. :mrgreen:

Just had a question that may potentially help a lot of people seeking a job out there ( I know it will help me)

Quite simply, If a company states : minimum 500TT or 750TT

i know obviously if someone with 1000 hrs apply would take priority over someone with 500TT. But when a company states minimum, should people who apply to said mins should even expect a callback? or should you comfortably apply once you have past +200/+500 minimums
( i know you should apply anyways and try your luck) but for anyone who has had jobs, what was your experience? did you get hired at your current hours? or were you past/double your hours where you started to get phone calls? ( i have heard or people even getting hire with lesser than minimum hours required which is amazing)

Tl;Dr - How hard are minimum requirements?

thank you guys in advance! :mrgreen:
Depends on the company. Sometimes the minima are more 'desired' qualifications. Sometimes they are hard insurance minima where they won't be able to get an exception for you.

With minima that low, apply anyway. You've got nothing to lose.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Minimums of 500 hrs or 700 hrs mean they want someone that is a new pilot, but not brand new. If you held a flying job and have 400 hrs, I'd apply.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I agree with Bede, with the exception that medevac contracts almost all require 500 tt for the right seat in Canada.

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

what about all the 750? that seems to be the new norm with every job.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

If you think you're "close enough" to their requirements, I'd apply. Make sure you properly read what they require and make a judgment call. You also don't want to waste their time if you're ineligible for that job (for example, as stated above, "insurance purposes minimums") or right to work and live in a place (ex. USA).

contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

Unless the company states specifically why they require those posted hours, apply anyway! 2 out of my 3 flying jobs I wasn’t qualified for in their job ads. One of those was because of the people I had networked with and a follow up phone call, the second was just pure luck they called back with the right offer at the right time. Worst they can say is no or try again in the future-if they gripe about not applying with correct hours, chances are you don’t want to work for them anyway. Quite honesty, unless you come across as really weird or entitled in your resume or emails most chief pilots won’t remember you and it won’t hurt your cause further down the road if you still want to work there. Currently all their heads are spinning trying to keep up with the flow in and out of their roster. You may just catch him or her on the right day when it seems flow out is greater than flow in.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I used to post ads looking for 2000TT to meet a contract we held. Sometimes I’d get applications from folks with 1900 hours and a good personality and they would get hired and just do other flying work we had for a month that or two until they were qualified to do what they were hired for. Sometimes I’d get applications from folks with 207TT and some cover letter line about, “I thought it was worth a shot,” which we can probably agree it wasn’t. Often times the low-timers would re-apply a year or down the road, get the job, and we’d have a laugh over their fresh CPL audacity the first time around.

I guess what I’m trying to say is there’s a line somewhere between acceptably unqualified and unacceptably so. If you’re within 10-15% or 100 hours (whichever greater) I say go for it.

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

I really do appreciate all the answers! Thank you guys so much! Currently sitting at 650 and looking at those 750hr jobs

Will try!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

wing'd wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am Currently sitting at 650 and looking at those 750hr jobs

Return to “Employment Forum”