Is FSS training easier than ATC training?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

braincandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is FSS training easier than ATC training?

Post by braincandy »

I keep hearing how intense the training is, but is that just for air traffic control or is the FSS training equally as intense?
---------- ADS -----------

kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is FSS training easier than ATC training?

Post by kashep »

The success rate is typically much higher, and training is faster so overall I would say it is easier. Training itself is still pretty tough and high pressure with simulator evaluations that are do or die but if you make it through basic you are almost guaranteed to check out in the field somewhere. 4/5 of my course made it but obviously that's a small sample size.

mckinley007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is FSS training easier than ATC training?

Post by mckinley007 »

braincandy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am I keep hearing how intense the training is, but is that just for air traffic control or is the FSS training equally as intense?
What you have to consider is the level of responsibility each holds. ATC being significantly higher the training will have greater requirements and milestones to hit. My VFR tower basic course started with 4 students, 3 graduated to sites, of those three only ONE qualified as a tower controller. One other switched to FSS with success, the third departed the company.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”