Engine Fire During Start

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Engine Fire During Start

Post by pelmet »

Got asked that one by an instructor during the briefing for a checkout the other day. So I started out with the standard continue cranking answer to see if the engine will start. But the instructor said that unlike a Cessna 172, it is not the procedure for this particular type. On this particular type, you go straight to the shutdown procedure. I looked it up in the manual and he is correct.

I am thinking that perhaps this is because it has a fuel injected engine but not sure. Somehow, I assumed that the continue cranking procedure applied to fuel injected aircraft as well. But the more I think about it, the more I think that it does not apply the fuel injected aircraft.

Any thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Engine Fire During Start

Post by digits_ »

What airplane type are you talking about?

If you have a carburetor, I was under the impression the goal of the continue cranking was that the fire would get sucked into the engine and blown out the exhaust due to the airflow, instead of damaging the carburetor.

With a fuel injection I don't see why continuing to crank with fuel shut off would be worse than shutting everything off without cranking. Does the POH call to shut down the airplane completely? Or only to cut off the mixture/fuel supply?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

With a fuel injected engine I imagine you're less likely to have an induction fire, because the combustible fuel/air mixture isn't created until right adjacent to the inlet valve. But you can still over-prime, and flood the induction system with gasoline, with an attendant risk of fire, that would still be drawn into the inlet manifold by continued cranking.

The (fuel injected) 172S POH instructs to continue cranking on an engine-start fire, just like the older carbureted models. I think that the difference between the instructions in the POH's of different models and manufacturers is really one of fashion rather than based on any demonstration of benefit.

One advantage of following the POH is that when later asked, you can always say "I did exactly what it says in the POH" and it's very hard to argue that you did the wrong thing. If you're going to go "off-script" and things don't work out well, it won't look good at the enquiry.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

What aircraft?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

One thing someone taught me once that's not in the POH is to taxi forward once the engine starts. There's a good chance that there's a bunch of fuel on the tire and ground and you may be sitting atop a minor gasoline bonfire.

Return to “Flight Training”