2022 - Operations Manager salaries

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

highflyer2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

2022 - Operations Manager salaries

Post by highflyer2000 »

Any ideas of what the Operations Managers are making at the 604 levels - 1 aircraft - 3 pilots - 250hrs a year.?
---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: 2022 - Operations Manager salaries

Post by goldeneagle »

A manager for a department with 1 airplane flying 250 hrs a year, with 3 pilots. Sounds more like a hobby than a job.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

goldeneagle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:37 pm A manager for a department with 1 airplane flying 250 hrs a year, with 3 pilots. Sounds more like a hobby than a job.
Not at all, it depends on the type of operation and the amount of responsibility you will have.
It may even be more than full time.
You have to ensure CARS compliance which means things like updating pilot training files, ensuring flight and duty time get submitted, TDG, prepping for audits etc. And then if this is a commercial operation, maybe you will be giving quotes as well via email and call. It will likely also be your responsibility to hire people. Maybe if its a small company you will also do bookkeeping. BAsically everything associated with running a company.
I would ask how many people were working there, if they are hiring you as basically the only office guy, then I wouldn't take that position unless I was making a lot of money.

Bronco Billy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bronco Billy »

Also curious to know how salary can be structured for that kind of job. I am starting the exact same kind of job and currently billing per hour / per day of flying.

If anyone has some info you can pm me

Thanks!

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Loading... wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:19 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:37 pm A manager for a department with 1 airplane flying 250 hrs a year, with 3 pilots. Sounds more like a hobby than a job.
Not at all, it depends on the type of operation and the amount of responsibility you will have.
It may even be more than full time.
You have to ensure CARS compliance which means things like updating pilot training files, ensuring flight and duty time get submitted, TDG, prepping for audits etc. And then if this is a commercial operation, maybe you will be giving quotes as well via email and call. It will likely also be your responsibility to hire people. Maybe if its a small company you will also do bookkeeping. BAsically everything associated with running a company.
I would ask how many people were working there, if they are hiring you as basically the only office guy, then I wouldn't take that position unless I was making a lot of money.
I think you need to crack open your operations manual and look at the duties of the Ops Manager and the other official positions in the hierarchy. Training files and duty time records fall in the realm of the Chief Pilot. As for prepping for an audit, if you aren't a fly by night operation that doesn't do the paperwork regularly, yes, that can be a huge scramble. If it's a well organized place where things like training records are updated as training is done, and pilots do duty sheets ever day they fly, audit prep is basically show the auidtors where all the files are located and make sure the coffee is on when they arrive.

I was the ops manager for a 2 airplane 703 flying roughly 1200 hours a year, did that for 20 years as one of my ways of keeping in touch with aviation after I quit flying full time. The duties of ops manager took 4 or 5 hours a month, somewhat more when we needed to do operations manual updates. the key is to have systems and processes in place such that there isn't a lot of extra work to keep all the paperwork in order. then again, if it's an operation that is always on the edge of legal and pushing limits left and right, then yes, I can see it being a job that ties up a lot more time, one would be constantly in back and forth conversations with your POI at TC.

for a one airplane operation with 3 pilots as quoted in the original post, assuming it's a well run ship, I wouldn't expect the duties of ops manager to take more than a few hours a month.

Now if you start piling other things on the person, like many of the stuff you mention, yes then it's a bigger job, but those duties can fall on anybody, not just the ops manager. Your Company Operations Manual will have a very rigidly defined set of duties that fall on the OM. It's a legally defined position with a very clear set of responsibilities.

Return to “Corporate”