King Air Excursion at YTH

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

King Air Excursion at YTH

Post by pelmet »

Interesting scenario. One brake not working on landing...........

"C-GXHS, a Beech B200 aircraft operated by Missinippi Airways as flight MA05 was landing on
RWY 06 in Thompson (CYTH) MB, with a crew of 3 and 1 passenger on board. During the landing
roll, the pilot applied the brakes and did not receive any braking action of the left main wheel. The
crew managed to slow the aircraft down using propeller reverse and then veered off the right side
of the runway. The aircraft then came to a safe stop approximately 10 feet off the side just before
the departure end. There were no injuries. The aircraft did not sustain any damage and did not hit
any runway lights."
---------- ADS -----------

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: King Air Excursion at YTH

Post by ‘Bob’ »

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think Thompson should have enough footage of airplane crashes and runway excursions to use in that whole series.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Using brakes in YTH, awkward.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

propfeather wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:30 am Using brakes in YTH, awkward.
My thought exactly! I have thousands of landings in King Airs and similar turboprops, on smaller runways than YTH, and never touched the brakes! I had a brake failure in a BE10, and still landed on 32 in YMO, and we were stopped before the end of the pavement (the runway is half asphalt, half gravel). There is more to this story!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If you didn't know you had an asymmetric brake failure and you applied heavy braking at a lower speed I could see how you could easily end up heading off into the sticks and not have proper control to stop yourself. Differential reverse takes time to develop power, and at low speed say below 40 kts the rudder is not effective.

If you knew you had a brake problem before landing, totally different story though.

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:53 am If you didn't know you had an asymmetric brake failure and you applied heavy braking at a lower speed I could see how you could easily end up heading off into the sticks and not have proper control to stop yourself. Differential reverse takes time to develop power, and at low speed say below 40 kts the rudder is not effective.

If you knew you had a brake problem before landing, totally different story though.
You arnt incorrect. But from my experience with king airs and braking systems it becomes apparent quite quickly when you have no pressure on one side.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The discussion in the above two posts were what I was hoping for when I started this thread. What went through my mind was to ask what makes sense here for prevention.

Is it try the brakes a bit first and soon after select reverse with all acting normally or perhaps if there is a discovery of a lack of braking on one side, add power and go-around, deal with what you have on the ground, check brake pedal pressure prior to landing, something else.

Any suggestions.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Approach checks at my company require a brake pressure check for our King Air’s. Something like that could be the answer to possibly preventing an asymmetric brake situation. This check would hopefully catch the problem and then having knowledge of the situation at hand would help prevent a possible excursion. Beta, and if/when required reverse really slow these things down quite well.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”