Getting back into flying - Canadian licence in USA?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting back into flying - Canadian licence in USA?

Post by Jojo »

Hello everyone,

I'm resurecting this thread because I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm hoping Spurcap is still around to comment on how the process went.
My situation is :
- got everything in Canada in 2012-2013 (PPL CPL IR-ME [and FI but i know this one isn't convertable]). Flew a few hundred hours all VFR.
- did my last IPC on a sim in 2016.

Havent flown anything since that last IPC, aviation booklet and medical all expired years ago now.

Can I send that AC 8060 form "Verification of authenticity of foreign licence..." without having first renewed my canadian aviation booklet + medical ?

Thank you everyone for your inputs
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Jojo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm Can I send that AC 8060 form "Verification of authenticity of foreign licence..." without having first renewed my canadian aviation booklet + medical ?
No, for the booklet. Canadian medical may be expired if you have a current FAA Medical. From the verification letter:
The Airmen Certification Branch only verified the applicant's foreign license number, the level of the license, and that the license has not been surrendered, suspended, revoked, or expired.
If the foreign license expires prior to the expiration date shown on this letter, this verification is no longer valid and cannot be used to make application for a U.S. airman certificate or authorization.

Jojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jojo »

Hi,

Thank you for that quick reply, I'll get that booklet renewed and FAA medical done asap then.

Last edited by Jojo on Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jojo »

photofly wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:55 pm
spurcap wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:11 pm <about a billion words redacted... they sure took a long time to type, were they important?>

Where I am at now, I think my main open question is whether 1) I will be able to get a new aviation document book that isn't expired without a valid medical in Canada;
You will. In fact you must, otherwise the CAME has no booklet to stamp, if you decide you want to get a Canadian medical.
2) whether a Canadian licence without a valid medical is considered "Valid" for the purposes of meeting the FAA requirement for conversion
It is.

I did mine the other way - I never got a US medical, just a new plastic card from the FAA, then a Canadian licence from it, then a Canadian medical after that.
Hello,

I'm bouncing back on what Photofly said in the first part of his comment:
You will. In fact you must, otherwise the CAME has no booklet to stamp, if you decide you want to get a Canadian medical.
A Transport Canada person from the Dorval office told me recently TC wont send my ADB as long as I dont have a current medical (I didnt send my ADB form to Dorval). Anyone has more info on this ?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That sounds like incorrect information. A colleague of mine returning to flying was sent an ADB showing a category 3 medical last examination in 1999, ten years before ADBs were a thing.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Jojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jojo »

Thanks, I ll see what the Prairie Office does.

Return to “General Comments”