Do I need to do the TC Technical Exams

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

itswill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Do I need to do the TC Technical Exams

Post by itswill »

I have recently graduated from British Columbia Institute of Technology as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Cat M. I had a question regarding the training hours. I wanted to know if the attendance was not met to the requirements, I understand that I would not be illegible for the 18 months of training credit. However does that also mean I would need to take the ;Standard Practices, Airframe and Powerplant exam prior to getting my license.

The school has not yet finalized all my records/attendance. I have completed all my courses in the program successfully with above 70% but due to covid-19 there were days I was unable to attend class. This put me in a position where I am not 100% certain that I have met the attendance requirement.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Do I need to do the TC Technical Exams

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

itswill wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 pm I have recently graduated from British Columbia Institute of Technology as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Cat M. I had a question regarding the training hours. I wanted to know if the attendance was not met to the requirements, I understand that I would not be illegible for the 18 months of training credit. However does that also mean I would need to take the ;Standard Practices, Airframe and Powerplant exam prior to getting my license.

The school has not yet finalized all my records/attendance. I have completed all my courses in the program successfully with above 70% but due to covid-19 there were days I was unable to attend class. This put me in a position where I am not 100% certain that I have met the attendance requirement.

If you don’t meet the attendance requirements you will get an attendance letter only and not receive the accreditation (you will need to do the missed time at a minimum). I think BCIT is still CCAA approved and have strict guidelines aligning with ed council and CAR 566 requirements etc. It’s up to the ATO to determine wether you met the attendance requirements or not.
Have you spoken to the program’s PRT? The pandemic most certainly threw us all for a loop for training and currency etc. I don’t know if there have been any concessions made for this by TC for ATO’s. You are best to contact your PRT and see where you stand.
If you successfully completed all of your exams you shouldn’t need to re-do them, however, you’re at the mercy of BCIT’s policy and how their training manual is written. Interesting post, let us know how you make out.

itswill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by itswill »

Thank you for your reply,

As far as school goes, I have never ever heard about the technical exam. I only found out about it at work. During my time at school it was always emphasized that attendance was only going to impact the amount of months we will need to be an apprentice.

I have been reading everything I can about this situation on TC website. I have attached a few screenshots about the difference between knowledge/experience credits. I believe that this means only my hours will be affected and my grades being above 70% for all course will go directly to cover the technical exam portion. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Attachments
86AC5EF5-6704-4365-AA86-4BCF4410549F.png
86AC5EF5-6704-4365-AA86-4BCF4410549F.png (501.71 KiB) Viewed 839 times
0B5295B1-41CB-4FAB-9696-CA100F20A1EB.png
0B5295B1-41CB-4FAB-9696-CA100F20A1EB.png (527.99 KiB) Viewed 839 times
512B4557-D7E2-4A31-912B-0CC06BAE6D18.png
512B4557-D7E2-4A31-912B-0CC06BAE6D18.png (500.04 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

itswill wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:49 am Thank you for your reply,

As far as school goes, I have never ever heard about the technical exam. I only found out about it at work. During my time at school it was always emphasized that attendance was only going to impact the amount of months we will need to be an apprentice.

I have been reading everything I can about this situation on TC website. I have attached a few screenshots about the difference between knowledge/experience credits. I believe that this means only my hours will be affected and my grades being above 70% for all course will go directly to cover the technical exam portion. Please correct me if I misunderstood.
Don’t waste your time in the Car’s, BCIT has a maintenance training manual they have to follow that’s TC approved. The curriculum will cover those technical exams and that should have been explained by your instructors. I’m quite sure BCIT is a CCAA approved organization still and if you took the M program the exams are part of the curriculum. If you passed those all you have remaining is the CAR’s exam at the end of (or 6months prior to the end) of your apprenticeship. Contact your PRT and have him explain it, they have a TC approved MTM manual they have approved by transport Canada and have to follow. Sounds like the caveat being your attendance, have them validate that. If you fail the attendance their follow up actions will be in their manuals for the ATO. Best advice I can give you is your contact your PRT

itswill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by itswill »

Thank you so much for your info, I will contact my PRT after the weekend.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

itswill wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:10 am Thank you so much for your info, I will contact my PRT after the weekend.
Let us know how you make out. Hopefully there’s concessions for COVID19. If not there will definitely be options for you moving forward. Good luck!

Return to “Maintenance”