Is One Hour of Fuel Remaining Over Toronto a Fuel Emergency

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Is One Hour of Fuel Remaining Over Toronto a Fuel Emergency

Post by pelmet »

Mick G wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:33 am
WANP wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am I wasn't in the cockpit at the time, so cannot accurately describe the situation, or judge them.
But since it ended well, nobody perished, or even injured, overall the pilots did a good job IMHO.
Is it ever really wrong to be safety conscious when flying an airplane full of passengers?

We need less planes running out of fuel, and more landing safely.
I'm with you in this one. Too many armchair critics on here, imagine the lambasting the crew would get if something had happened. An abundance of caution is always the better way to go, especially dealing with passenger operations
Forgot about this thread. I think Photofly is still looking up my question from two posts ago.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Who, me? No - I thought it was a rhetorical question. I have no idea. Happy to be schooled by my betters, though.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:51 pm Who, me? No - I thought it was a rhetorical question. I have no idea. Happy to be schooled by my betters, though.
I have seen you look up very obscure regulatory info multiple times from multiple regulatory agencies. Things that were impressive to be able to find so quickly. I figured you would have it at your fingertips.

I have 45 minutes in my mind’s fading memory but don’t want to commit to that without confirmation.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There are a bunch of regulatory minimum fuel requirements at the outset of a flight, the headline one is something like flight to destination, approach to minimums, diversion to an alternate, another approach to minimums, and a further 45 minutes of flight. But there are others too. What I don't know is if that (those) limits are the ones referred to as "planned final reserve fuel." I don't know who's doing the planning, for a start.

And the interpretation of that limit in terms of litres of fuel could be tricky: wouldn't it depend on whether you were already at your diversion destination or not (because then you'd not still be expected to have the addition amount of fuel to go to your alternate)?

So my guess would be that each operator would have a more specific way to decide towards the end of a flight what "planned final reserve fuel" was, and whether they'd be planning to land with less than that amount. But you'd probably know better than me.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”