EASA PPL conversion to Canada PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

earlybird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: EASA PPL conversion to Canada PPL

Post by earlybird »

Having converted a EASA PPL to a Canadian one (last September) the process is a lot more simple (and cheaper) than some have described above.

On the assumption you meet the experience requirement then:

1) Get a Canadian Class 3 Medical
2) Write the PSTAR test
3) Get a radio license [not needed for conversion but obviously needed if you're going to fly something with a radio]
4) Send the forms together with $55

License comes with a "issued on the basis of [Foreign Licence]" - i.e it's based on your experience. You could do a skills test to remove that but I don't really see the point, it's not a restriction.

Process took 8 weeks from sending the paperwork in, no questions asked.

And this is the official reply from TC when I asked about what to send them:

In order to convert your EASA PPL to a Canadian one you will need to write the PSTAR examination at a Canadian flight school, complete the application for a private pilot licence, here is the link to the form: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/ ... 0791E_E_PX

And the application for an aviation document booklet and submit a verified passport type photograph taken within the past 12 months and stamped by the studio it was taken at, here is the link to the form: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/ ... 0726E_E_PX

Along with the forms we require proof of payment of the $55.00 fee, the online payment site link is below my signature block. We also require certified colour copies of your EASA licence, passport and pages of your logbook showing the minimum flight hours and 5 take-offs and landings within the past 6 months.

8) Licence Issued On the Basis of Foreign Licence

(amended 1999/03/01)

(a) An applicant who is the holder of a Private or higher pilot licence -aeroplane issued by a Contracting State shall be considered:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(i) to have met the ground school instruction requirement; and

(amended 1999/03/01)

(ii) to have met the written examination requirement and the flight test requirement, provided that the foreign licence was not issued on the basis of a licence from another State, and that the applicant:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(A) has met the flight time requirements specified in subsection (4);

(amended 2000/09/01)

(B) has obtained a minimum of 90% in the written examination Student Pilot Permit or Private Pilot Licence for Foreign and Military Applicants, Aviation Regulations ( PSTAR ); and

(amended 2000/09/01))

(C) has completed, as pilot in command or co-pilot in aeroplanes, a minimum of 5 take-offs and 5 landings within the 6 months preceding the date of application for the Canadian licence.

(amended 1999/03/01)

(b) The licence shall be annotated by the Minister to indicate that it was issued on the basis of the foreign licence.

(amended 1999/03/01)

(c) The Minister shall remove the annotation from the licence, provided that the applicant has successfully completed:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(i) the written examination requirements ( PPAER ); and

(amended 1999/03/01)

(ii) the skill requirement.

(amended 1999/03/01)
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:16 pm No, they won’t. But the condition for the issue of a FLVC requires the foreign licence to be “valid for the privileges requested”, which requires a medical from that foreign country (or an EASA state).

The conditions for the crediting of a foreign licence towards a TC PPL don’t use the word “valid”.
Ahhhh, ok now I see what you're saying. I didn't pay enough attention to that distinction. Yes that sounds reasonable.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
maxeppc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maxeppc »

earlybird wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:18 pm Having converted a EASA PPL to a Canadian one (last September) the process is a lot more simple (and cheaper) than some have described above.

On the assumption you meet the experience requirement then:

1) Get a Canadian Class 3 Medical
2) Write the PSTAR test
3) Get a radio license [not needed for conversion but obviously needed if you're going to fly something with a radio]
4) Send the forms together with $55

License comes with a "issued on the basis of [Foreign Licence]" - i.e it's based on your experience. You could do a skills test to remove that but I don't really see the point, it's not a restriction.

Process took 8 weeks from sending the paperwork in, no questions asked.

And this is the official reply from TC when I asked about what to send them:

In order to convert your EASA PPL to a Canadian one you will need to write the PSTAR examination at a Canadian flight school, complete the application for a private pilot licence, here is the link to the form: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/ ... 0791E_E_PX

And the application for an aviation document booklet and submit a verified passport type photograph taken within the past 12 months and stamped by the studio it was taken at, here is the link to the form: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/ ... 0726E_E_PX

Along with the forms we require proof of payment of the $55.00 fee, the online payment site link is below my signature block. We also require certified colour copies of your EASA licence, passport and pages of your logbook showing the minimum flight hours and 5 take-offs and landings within the past 6 months.

8) Licence Issued On the Basis of Foreign Licence

(amended 1999/03/01)

(a) An applicant who is the holder of a Private or higher pilot licence -aeroplane issued by a Contracting State shall be considered:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(i) to have met the ground school instruction requirement; and

(amended 1999/03/01)

(ii) to have met the written examination requirement and the flight test requirement, provided that the foreign licence was not issued on the basis of a licence from another State, and that the applicant:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(A) has met the flight time requirements specified in subsection (4);

(amended 2000/09/01)

(B) has obtained a minimum of 90% in the written examination Student Pilot Permit or Private Pilot Licence for Foreign and Military Applicants, Aviation Regulations ( PSTAR ); and

(amended 2000/09/01))

(C) has completed, as pilot in command or co-pilot in aeroplanes, a minimum of 5 take-offs and 5 landings within the 6 months preceding the date of application for the Canadian licence.

(amended 1999/03/01)

(b) The licence shall be annotated by the Minister to indicate that it was issued on the basis of the foreign licence.

(amended 1999/03/01)

(c) The Minister shall remove the annotation from the licence, provided that the applicant has successfully completed:

(amended 1999/03/01)

(i) the written examination requirements ( PPAER ); and

(amended 1999/03/01)

(ii) the skill requirement.

(amended 1999/03/01)
Awesome! Thank you once again. What would you say about differences in flights, laws etc in Canada and Europe?
How many hours did you have while doing conversion?

I am asking to find out, if conversion is okay for newborns or would it better to proceed with practical training in Canada to get used to flying there from scratch.

earlybird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by earlybird »

maxeppc wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:40 pm
Awesome! Thank you once again. What would you say about differences in flights, laws etc in Canada and Europe?
How many hours did you have while doing conversion?

I am asking to find out, if conversion is okay for newborns or would it better to proceed with practical training in Canada to get used to flying there from scratch.
Not a significant amount - the PSTAR test questions/answers bank are published by TC so you can just learn that (bearing in mind you've already passed your EASA air law so it's just some subtle differences to be aware of). The radio exam (I had a written one) was arguably more annoying as the questions were significantly different to anything you see online.

Assuming you meet the minimum flight hours requirement and are "current" then there's no required flying to do to get the licence. Obviously if you're hiring from a club then they'll have specific requirements - I did about 5 hours whilst I waited for the licence to arrive more to beat the boredom of being grounded.

My experience coming from the UK to Vancouver was that whilst there's more traffic in the lower mainland, the ATC is more joined up (having one squawk for the entire flight is a luxury) and there's a lot of reliance on knowing local landmarks which aren't always obvious on the map so worth a bit of familiarization. Depends on where you're training in Europe and where you're going to in Canada as to whether it will be a better/worse experience.

Return to “Flight Training”