Q of L

Discuss topics relating to Cargojet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Q of L

Post by link821 »

Any junior yvr FOs care to tell what typical month looks like? Days worked in a row vs days off in a row? Do any commute?
---------- ADS -----------

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Q of L

Post by link821 »

And over all, it Cargojet a good place to work? I understand a job is still a job but I’ve heard a few ppl make comments about the management style being less then great

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjawannabe »

A company of contrasts. Just posted quarterly revenue increase of a quarter billion USD, but can't quite figure out how to place their crews in hotels without mold on the curtains.

Grew too fast, still thinks like a bush-league tiny operator. Can't hire fast enough to keep up with the outflow of crew. Q of L will suck as long as there isn't enough bodies for airframes, and the latest month has them buying back a couple of GDO's without recourse from both CA's and FO's.

But if you're an overtime whore, you have found your home.

Throwaway91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Throwaway91 »

I've heard a rumour that Cargojet is sending out emails to those who have interviewed to say that hiring is being paused and that they've been placed in a pool until a future groundschool with the date TBD.

I'm no longer employed there, but up until a few months ago when I was, they were desperately short-staffed and "buying back" SDOs from the pilots. So what gives? All their trainers took summer vacation? Ajay making good on his threats to move a bunch of flying over to 21 Air? With the amount of new aircraft they've been adding or are planning to add, I don't see how they're not scrambling to hire everyone they possibly can.

PilotZum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PilotZum »

You work 15 days a month. Pairings aren’t always productive, so actually flying it will likely be around 10 or less depending on how many deadhead days you got. Long layovers for Canadian airlines standards, very common to have 2-3 days somewhere.

Commute can be done, fairly easy actually depending on where you live, you don’t have to deal with terminals or anything like that, just bid your schedule so you arrive around the time the sched is living for your city.

Junior FO schedule is not bad, ever since my first month I always got the days off and pairing length I asked for. 1 month reserve during training.

Easy flying with long legs and short duty days, I can count on my finger how many times I have done a 13 hr day since the regs changed.

If you are willing to do Ot you likely will be one of the highest paid FOs in Canada, common to see 3x,4x overtime, plenty of Ot going around.

There’s bs in this job like any other and lots to improve. But compared to many out there I would say it’s a good job.

Boxit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boxit »

There is always something to improve and life isnt perfect. But considering today's market early 2024, with porter paying First officers 76k for year 1 and 90k for year 2 and cargojet starting out at 78k for year 1 and 82k for year 2. Would you choose porter or CJ. I think for a 1500hr TT pilot the choice now opens up with companies like porter Lynx flair CJ. So it's a tough decision. Wondering what your input is

iamnumber1pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamnumber1pilot »

Does anyone have any experience or information on commuting at CJ?

Return to “Cargojet”