Mainline hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Mainline hiring

Post by pacman007 »

You can always compare yr 1,2,3 FO salaries and think you are comparable. But let’s look at where you will be in 12-15 years. This is where pilots really make the money and your sacrifices are supposed to pay off. What are the numbers for top WJ 737 and top AC max capt compared to flair,or lynx? Factoring in YOS for the majors. This is what I mean by being able to retire somewhat wealthy.
---------- ADS -----------

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

The long game doesn’t seem to be in favour for many these days.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

pacman007 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:48 am You can always compare yr 1,2,3 FO salaries and think you are comparable. But let’s look at where you will be in 12-15 years. This is where pilots really make the money and your sacrifices are supposed to pay off. What are the numbers for top WJ 737 and top AC max capt compared to flair,or lynx? Factoring in YOS for the majors. This is what I mean by being able to retire somewhat wealthy.
Flair gets you home every night so you cant just compare dollars, its an oversimplification.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

pitottubey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm
pacman007 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:48 am You can always compare yr 1,2,3 FO salaries and think you are comparable. But let’s look at where you will be in 12-15 years. This is where pilots really make the money and your sacrifices are supposed to pay off. What are the numbers for top WJ 737 and top AC max capt compared to flair,or lynx? Factoring in YOS for the majors. This is what I mean by being able to retire somewhat wealthy.
Flair gets you home every night so you cant just compare dollars, its an oversimplification.
Is that a good thing? After sleeping in my own bed for 18 months during covid I decided I would never take a home every night job for less than 7 figures.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:25 pm
pitottubey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm
Is that a good thing? After sleeping in my own bed for 18 months during covid I decided I would never take a home every night job for less than 7 figures.
Yes for lots of people that a good thing lol :lol:

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

pitottubey wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 am Yes for lots of people that a good thing lol :lol:
Some people like being in hotel rooms in different cities every night.

I prefer to be in my own bed with my best friend every night.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

Same

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

A WestJet pilot can expect to earn 6,000,000 over a 25 year career even after a 10 year wait for upgrade
AC pilot is in the range of 8 million not factoring pension.

You can do the math at your ULCC and see what you come up with. But I gather sleeping on your bed every night is costing you multi millions. Fell free to do the math yourself and decide.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

10 nights away per month is about 1/3 of your free time spent away. That’s 13 years of your life spent in a hotel. How much is time worth?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

pacman007 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:48 am A WestJet pilot can expect to earn 6,000,000 over a 25 year career even after a 10 year wait for upgrade

You can do the math at your ULCC and see what you come up with. But I gather sleeping on your bed every night is costing you multi millions. Fell free to do the math yourself and decide.
Have you factored in the crash pad or the house you have to buy in Toronto/Vancouver vs Calgary?
I’m not sure the difference is so much.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

pacman007 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:48 am A WestJet pilot can expect to earn 6,000,000 over a 25 year career even after a 10 year wait for upgrade

On the other hand, how much would you pay to be with family and friends and not sitting alone in a dank hotel room overlooking the Thunder Bay airport?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

While it's extremely important to do back of the napkin math on potential earnings, there are a few caveats both in favour for and against going to WJ or one of the newer ULCC's at the moment.

Your first 3 years will be roughly equivalent when you look at it. While $10,000ish a year isn't nothing, it won't make a big factor in your medium/long term career earnings. That's why small retention bonuses generally don't work.

The question has to be what happens after your first 3 years. Depending on your experience, at a ULCC, provided the growth goes as planned/hoped, you'll be a Captain on a 737. You will be making more money than a WJ 4th/5th/6th year FO. So that gets you further. Add in potential for better seniority, better options for bases (in theory) and there is a very strong argument to choose a ULCC over WJ at the moment.

WJ on the other hand is more established. In theory, there's an argument that there's less risk of survival, but honestly who knows. Prior to making their pivot to focus more on the west and on leisure flying, they were trying to do something - compete with AC as the second Canadian International airline - that has never successfully been done before. Sure they've lasted 25 years, but like Canada3000, Canadian, WardAir and CP before it, how successful would they continue to be.

Now the new direction, in my opinion, is a good move. BUT, there are SO many unknowns it's absolutely impossible to accuracy guess what one’s career advancement will be like. It could be awesome or it could stall. They are currently only hiring for YYZ, yet they've publicly stated they've moving away from YYZ flying. Plus you also have the SunWing merger to consider. How is your career going to look in YYZ for a carrier that will be focusing on the West. They just announced they're moving all their 787s to YYC.

I'd also argue at this point its basically impossible to determine how long your upgrade is going to be. So many factors - would you take a Swoop upgrade? Where are bases going to be and what options will there be? What will happen with the SunWing integration? Will there be new Narrowbody planes, and if so, will they be at WJ or Swoop or SunWing? And where will they be based.

I like the "WJ Group of Companies" but there are so many unknowns right now. Past performance does not guarantee future success.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

WestJet was smart enough not the buy out another airline... until now. No absorbing someone's debt to take a competitor off the field. No merging of lists nor cultures to deal with. Ultimately, merger mania has taken down many airlines in Canada in the past and I was hopeful that lessons had been learned. I was wrong.

To paraphrase any number of Western's, "This country's not big enough for the lot of us." The next few years are going to see bankruptcies and mergers... possibly followed by more bankruptcies. I can't say who will survive but I can say that in 5 years the playing field will have less players.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:13 am WestJet was smart enough not the buy out another airline... until now. No absorbing someone's debt to take a competitor off the field. No merging of lists nor cultures to deal with. Ultimately, merger mania has taken down many airlines in Canada in the past and I was hopeful that lessons had been learned. I was wrong.

To paraphrase any number of Western's, "This country's not big enough for the lot of us." The next few years are going to see bankruptcies and mergers... possibly followed by more bankruptcies. I can't say who will survive but I can say that in 5 years the playing field will have less players.
Remember: Onyx is looking for short term profit when it sells off WestJet, not long term profit and prosperity for WestJet.

truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

I think a major indicator of a company's well-being (and economy as a whole) is recruitment.

Just a few weeks ago we were advertising pilot positions for most companies within the group. Paid ads on linked in, etc. There were nearly 100 positions open across the group (all departments). Take a look today and you'll see no pilot positions posted and a whopping total of 13 open positions across the company. The music has stopped and we didn't even make it through the first verse!

I've been at the company 10ish years. This is the first time since my start date that I have this feeling it won't be where I retire (and not my choice).

I am happy to read some still remain optimistic, but all I see is a company (and people making decisions for it) floundering around. Take last weeks all pilot call for example - "As you are watching this, a new bid will be out with upgrades". Our own VP of the department doesn't have a handle on what is going on around here.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

truecolours wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am I think a major indicator of a company's well-being (and economy as a whole) is recruitment.

Just a few weeks ago we were advertising pilot positions for most companies within the group. Paid ads on linked in, etc. There were nearly 100 positions open across the group (all departments). Take a look today and you'll see no pilot positions posted and a whopping total of 13 open positions across the company. The music has stopped and we didn't even make it through the first verse!

I've been at the company 10ish years. This is the first time since my start date that I have this feeling it won't be where I retire (and not my choice).

I am happy to read some still remain optimistic, but all I see is a company (and people making decisions for it) floundering around. Take last weeks all pilot call for example - "As you are watching this, a new bid will be out with upgrades". Our own VP of the department doesn't have a handle on what is going on around here.
Which makes little sense considering they indicated a need for a bunch of pilots at mainline just a few days ago.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

Maybe the Sunwing merger is going through, and now the company has to decide where the other 450 pilots are going. Suddenly WestJet is over staffed? I’m guessing the sunwing pilots will be dispersed between encore and swoop. That’s my guess on why recruiting has stopped.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Positions being posted then disappearing has nothing at all to do with whether the position is filled or any disorganisation from WS corporate HR. Over my years at WS, I recruited about 100 people to my IT teams. Each posting has a lifecycle to collect resumes, interview people who seem like prospects and decide on those who will go to 2nd interview or receive offers. Typically the posting would only stay open for 2 weeks for each cycle, then be posted again if the relevant number of people in the recruitment pipeline was too little.

Collecting too many resumes at one time is a problem in terms of the HR team capacity and the capability of the hiring dept to process enough applicants to not leave those applying for a job too long without contact or interview.

truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

pacman007 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:33 pm Maybe the Sunwing merger is going through, and now the company has to decide where the other 450 pilots are going. Suddenly WestJet is over staffed? I’m guessing the sunwing pilots will be dispersed between encore and swoop. That’s my guess on why recruiting has stopped.
Maybe, but I don’t think so. The AT/AC merger process took way longer and that process started pre-covid. If the CTA and Competition Bureau are the only two government bodies processing things faster than before covid, I have some questions!

I think we are in a dire financial situation and every department has been ordered to close the taps as a last ditch effort to stop the bleeding.

Don’t tell Gabur Lukas we aren’t hiring when we are blaming cancellations on staff shortages….

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

aerobod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm Positions being posted then disappearing has nothing at all to do with whether the position is filled or any disorganisation from WS corporate HR. Over my years at WS, I recruited about 100 people to my IT teams. Each posting has a lifecycle to collect resumes, interview people who seem like prospects and decide on those who will go to 2nd interview or receive offers. Typically the posting would only stay open for 2 weeks for each cycle, then be posted again if the relevant number of people in the recruitment pipeline was too little.

Collecting too many resumes at one time is a problem in terms of the HR team capacity and the capability of the hiring dept to process enough applicants to not leave those applying for a job too long without contact or interview.
I get the argument, but that seems like a poor decision. Why would you prevent potentially great applicants from applying just because you have a pool of good applicants?

Return to “WestJet”