New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New hire bids

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:03 am
the-minister31 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:25 am
pitottubey wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:08 am Pool? whats this about a pool. Im just about to pass all the initial steps (I passed the first interview and sim eval), am I going to just get put in a pool and wait?
Once you have passed all the steps, they put you in a pool while waiting for a ground school date. I don't know if they even use the pool these days...
The only people knowing if the pool is still a thing are the HRs and maybe @rudder?

As far as the pool, you need to pass all the tests, meaning if the simeval was successful, reference checks, criminal background check, drug test, and Thomas Assessment ( PPA and GIA ).
Once everything is processed you will receive either a pool email, a call for a GS, or an email saying they won't be moving forward with your application.
I honestly don’t know how it is being managed, but if past is prologue then some successfully screened pilots will be assigned directly to a course date (likely geared towards potential DEC/quick upgrade candidates or college quota hiring) while other successful candidates will be in the pool and assigned course dates with 15-30 days notice based on availability or ranking.

I am not aware of any time Jazz has used a ‘FIFO’ system for course assignment (First Interviewed - First hired). But you never know.

Good luck!
---------- ADS -----------

RobertChow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RobertChow »

Have an interview by the end of the month, if ok, what would be the timeline for the sim eval and then the ground school start ?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

RobertChow wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:45 pm Have an interview by the end of the month, if ok, what would be the timeline for the sim eval and then the ground school start ?
Best case scenario 4 weeks with a call.
Worst case 12 months with a pool email.

Typically depends on your experience.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

By the way, what were the latest bids on July 18th besides the 5 DEC?

lightninghelmentant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lightninghelmentant »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:07 am
RobertChow wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:45 pm Have an interview by the end of the month, if ok, what would be the timeline for the sim eval and then the ground school start ?

I did my SIM eval almost 3 weeks ago and drug test 1 week ago...no call no PFO...whats your thoughts on that? sorry I know its a dumb question. I am thinking about it all day every day haha

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

lightninghelmentant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:57 am

I did my SIM eval almost 3 weeks ago and drug test 1 week ago...no call no PFO...whats your thoughts on that? sorry I know its a dumb question. I am thinking about it all day every day haha
References take time
MMPI results also take some time
HRs are really doing their bests.

You can send them an email to know what stage of the process they are at.

Enjoy your summer, next GS is Sept 19th for now, they are giving about 5 weeks' notices unless people cancel their GS.

lightninghelmentant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lightninghelmentant »

kiaszceski wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:05 am
lightninghelmentant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:57 am

References take time
MMPI results also take some time
HRs are really doing their bests.

You can send them an email to know what stage of the process they are at.

Enjoy your summer, next GS is Sept 19th for now, they are giving about 5 weeks' notices unless people cancel their GS.
Thank you for the info!

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

what equipment was proposed in this week new hire course? or last week

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

New Class started yesterday Monday August 8. The following system spots were offered.

1 YUL EMB
5 YYZ RJ
14 YYZ Q4

General experience levels mostly consisted of 1000-2000+ TT, ATPL/CPLs, 703-704, turbine/prop, northern experience.

Some direct entry CA's in the class. Mostly FOs.

Next class August 29th.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

a2btrail wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:53 am New Class started yesterday Monday August 8. The following system spots were offered.

1 YUL EMB
5 YYZ RJ
14 YYZ Q4

General experience levels mostly consisted of 1000-2000+ TT, ATPL/CPLs, 703-704, turbine/prop, northern experience.

Some direct entry CA's in the class. Mostly FOs.

Next class August 29th.
Do you mind sharing what experience the DECs have? How many got awarded captain on the jets ?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am
Do you mind sharing what experience the DECs have? How many got awarded captain on the jets ?
There is no experience criteria (based on the CBA).

Just an ATPL and a seniority number.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

So technically an instructor with 1600TT and the ATPL could hold a CRJ captain position ?!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am So technically an instructor with 1600TT and the ATPL could hold a CRJ captain position ?!
Yes. You can hold the bid award.

Then you would have to pass the initial type course, CA Sim Eval, PPC, line indoctrination, and line check.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

There was a flight instructor who selected CRJ DEC in one of the most recent classes.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

link821 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 am There was a flight instructor who selected CRJ DEC in one of the most recent classes.
Yea one of my buddies is in that class. Apparently the new hire taught multi engine at seneca? But that's a huge step to flying the CRJ as a captain out of YYZ. I don't understand how Jazz is comfortable with the current hiring trends and the levels of experience in their cockpits. Technically if they passed the line indoc training, they could be paired with a new FO and have less than 150 hours of multi-crew turbine experience between the two of them flying into some of the busiest airports in North America. That's pretty scary to think about.

Last edited by fixnfly on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

fixnfly wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:18 am
link821 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 am There was a flight instructor who selected CRJ DEC in one of the most recent classes.
Yea one of my buddies is in that class. Apparently the new hire taught multi engine at seneca? But that's a huge step to flying the CRJ as a captain out of YYZ. I don't how Jazz is comfortable with the current hiring trends and the levels of experience in their cockpits. Technically if they passed the line indoc training, they could be paired with a new FO and have less than 150 hours of multi-crew turbine experience between the two of them flying into some of the busiest airports in North America. That's pretty scary to think about.
I can't imagine thinking that however many hundred hours of babysitting students from the right seat of a Baron is the kind of experience that makes me qualified to sit in the left seat of an RJ

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

RockSalty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:21 pm
Yea one of my buddies is in that class. Apparently the new hire taught multi engine at seneca? But that's a huge step to flying the CRJ as a captain out of YYZ. I don't how Jazz is comfortable with the current hiring trends and the levels of experience in their cockpits. Technically if they passed the line indoc training, they could be paired with a new FO and have less than 150 hours of multi-crew turbine experience between the two of them flying into some of the busiest airports in North America. That's pretty scary to think about.
I can't imagine thinking that however many hundred hours of babysitting students from the right seat of a Baron is the kind of experience that makes me qualified to sit in the left seat of an RJ
It's not and straight out of a 703 with min hrs isn't any better. Do your 1 year probation period as an FO then consider the upgrade is my advice to anyone considering DEC.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I don't understand.

When you're hired at jazz, you bid your plane and base after receiving a job offer.

However I thought the job offer was for either a FO or an DEC position.

So according to what you guys are saying, the job offer doesn't specify which seat you're getting if you have an ATPL?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Incorrect.

The standard is the standard and anyone who is or was at Jazz know that this is a point of honor that Jazz has about its training and Standard. This means that anyone not meeting this standard for ANY position, will not be employed in that position until they either meet the standard or...

Furthermore, there is a Green on Green restriction that requires a consolidation period to be completed before a new pilot on type can be paired with an unconsolidated pilot. For the situation you are describing to occur, a NH with 0 multi-turbine experience would have to be awarded a DEC and undergo the Line Indoc, Line Check, and consolidation period including HGS requirements within 100 hours AND be paired with an FO who has done the same on their VERY 1st pairing after completing consolidation. Very unlikely but if that DEC gets through the all the indoc and consolidation that fast, then you definitely do not have anything to be worried about.

Not as scary as you make it to be.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Outlaw58 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:28 pm Very unlikely but if that DEC gets through the all the indoc and consolidation that fast, then you definitely do not have anything to be worried about.

Not as scary as you make it to be.
Flying jets at high altitude comes with a lot of different risks that DEC line-indoc just can't address. After leaving the Dash-8 for the 737, I wouldn't have felt comfortable operating from the left seat without at least a year in the right seat of the 737. And I'm saying that as someone with over 4000 hours in 705 turboprops.

Taking someone with 1500 hours in Cessna's and Barons from the flatlands of Ontario and sending them into the left seat of an RJ flying into mountain wave areas in Denver or onto a tight visual into Washington DC or figuring out all the vagaries of multiple MEL issues and how they impact each other just doesn't sound safe to do after 100 hours of line-indoc. What happens if this line-indoc starts in the early summer? By the fall they might have a couple hundred hours in the jet, but the first time they deice that winter, they'll be on their own and could be paired with a cadet F/O who has also never deiced. I would probably wish that I'd at least seen it from the right seat once or twice.

There is something to be said for experience, and a DEC flight instructor in an RJ just doesn't have it.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”