Green card

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Green card

Post by Protonpilot »

https://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/ne ... ins-strong

ALPA seems convinced there's no pilot shortage, haven't heard their opinion on the legislative push to raise the retirement age in the US to 67.

Where does this put the green card rumour we keep seeing on this forum?
---------- ADS -----------

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Green card

Post by negative_g »

I wonder how many of those ATPs are held by non citizens?

My ATP-CTP course had around 20 people in it, and 15ish were all from South America, Australia or Canada. All without work rights. The data ALPA is relying on is disingenuous.

Don't forget ALPA is a labour organization. Their one and only job is protectionism.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

I’d vote ALPA in a second if given the opportunity.

The clowns running ACPA are nothing but useless snakes.

My actual vote when the time comes is going to the P4C group. Time for a change! The snakes gotta go.

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benbaldanz ... 923e0d6565

Another interesting article about the pilot shortage in the US, this one from Forbes.

Five major fixes suggested:

- increase training of ab initio candidates with scholarships and loans
- marketing campaigns to increase participation by non-white and female candidates
- raise the retirement age to 67
- flow through seniority from the connectors to the majors
- revise the 1500 hour rule

Nothing on allowing foreign pilots to fly in the US.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Transition9er2 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:12 pm I’d vote ALPA in a second if given the opportunity.

The clowns running ACPA are nothing but useless snakes.

My actual vote when the time comes is going to the P4C group. Time for a change! The snakes gotta go.
ALPA at jazz is not much better. The most important thing is the MEC, not the union itself. And if they are in it to favour themselves at the sacrifice of junior members, then they will all be terrible. Whether it be ACPA, Unifor, or ALPA.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I would hope ALPA would do MUCH better than try and compare itself to Jazz when negotiating Porter's agreement. Jazz is a feeder with cost caps for AC's capacity agreement, Porter is a stand alone airline growing into the international market (Carribean and possibly Mexican operations).

Porter =/= Jazz.

It's not quite the LCC that Westjet was supposed to be (there's nothing LCC about Westjet's pricing), but it's not quite mainline like Air Canada. It's not quite charter like Air Transat or Sunwing.

I would say the only thing Porter resembles is Jetblue. Porter is really is 1 of 1 in Canada nowadays with it's scope.

If ALPA gets the nod to represent - their comparisons should come from south of the border.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... ue_airways

Just take the E190 payscale without conversion. Start there.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:22 pm I would hope ALPA would do MUCH better than try and compare itself to Jazz when negotiating Porter's agreement. Jazz is a feeder with cost caps for AC's capacity agreement, Porter is a stand alone airline growing into the international market (Carribean and possibly Mexican operations).

Porter =/= Jazz.

It's not quite the LCC that Westjet was supposed to be (there's nothing LCC about Westjet's pricing), but it's not quite mainline like Air Canada. It's not quite charter like Air Transat or Sunwing.

I would say the only thing Porter resembles is Jetblue. Porter is really is 1 of 1 in Canada nowadays with it's scope.

If ALPA gets the nod to represent - their comparisons should come from south of the border.
Absolutely. Never use Canadian wages and work conditions as a reference. Go for what the US is doing.

Return to “Air Canada”