TCCA M1/M2 to EASA conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

TCCA M1/M2 to EASA conversion

Post by the_swede »

I am looking at either getting an EASA maintenance licence or if possible converting my TCCA M1/M2. any feed back or help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Is this even possible? I know if I want my FAA A&P i have to be "endorsed" by an American company.

I have ten years licensed experience and am endorsed with multiple factory helicopter types. I'm just wanting to open a few opportunity avenues.

Any feedback is appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: TCCA M1/M2 to EASA conversion

Post by NeverBlue »

I know that BCIT used to offer the exams but i heard they don't anymore. It's worth looking into though. I also heard that the Coĺlege of the North Atlantic was also doing it...but again it's just word of mouth. Give them a call and find out.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

removed

Last edited by Troubleshot on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

There's something stuck on your mouse...

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

removed

Last edited by Troubleshot on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Wow...brilliant!

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the_swede »

Thanks for the intelligent conversation and help.
Swede

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the_swede »

Quick update on this topic.

As of 2016 Montreal (ÉCOLE NATIONALE D'AÉROTECHNIQUE (ÉNA) ena.cegepmontpetit.ca) is the only school in Canada that provides EASA part 66 exams. They are affiliated with Belgium. You can take CAA exams in Orlando, Florida at Microtech (?).

The ENA in Montreal provides some study material but NO PRACTICE exams. While through the CAA you get nothing. However, it appears that http://club66pro.com/ offers very good study material as well as practice exams. I sat a set of exams in October 2016 at ENA and am going to Florida in Feb 2017 for my first exam with the CAA. So I will have a better understanding of the exam process there in the near future.

The whole process is very confusing and there doesn't seem to be any good information out there as of now, other than learning as I go.... which costs a pretty penny.

If anyone wants any info I may be able to help out. Send me a PM.

Cheers
Swede

cman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cman »

I have a M1.M2 a 737NG endorsement and I am approved for the FAA A&P exams

What would be considered the benefits I have pondered this for some time I would like to get it but at this time do not know if I can justify the expenses to get it. any thoughts?

time off work taking the exams written oral and practical adds up.

when I was young I wanted to get all I could now I'm old and crusty I need to justify my spending

ForesterAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ForesterAME »

cman wrote:I have a M1.M2 a 737NG endorsement and I am approved for the FAA A&P exams

What would be considered the benefits I have pondered this for some time I would like to get it but at this time do not know if I can justify the expenses to get it. any thoughts?

when I was young I wanted to get all I could now I'm old and crusty I need to justify my spending

It is relatively easy to get your A&P license. The time off and expensive isn't that much. Im M1, M2 and several endorsements. I study for 3 months in my spare time at home drove down to Montana with my school deploma my AME license and copy of resume to show years of experience. Took to local FAA inspector in the morning to get approved to challenge exams by afternoon had written 1 of 3 online exams back the next day to do final 2 in the morning. afternoon was practical and oral exam. The drive from Calgary to Montana and back including exams was 4 days. All total with exams, hotel, food and gas cost less then a grand.

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the_swede »

Was there any requirement to have a "need" for your A&P? I have heard rumour in the past that the FAA wont issue an A&P with out endorsement from an american company.

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the_swede »

I recently wrote my module 2 (physics) exam in Orlando Florida. This is (as far as I've found) the only other location in North America, other than Montreal, to write the EASA part 66 exams. Orlando exams are CAA (UK) affiliated. They DO NOT provide any study material. I did re-enroll for the club66pro, that I mentioned on an earlier post.
The exam had many questions that were, word-for-word the same as club66 practice exams. and if you enroll in the study material as well as practice exams you will be very prepared. The down side with Orlando is that they only have one day sittings for the maintenance exams, every two months. So, if you are coming from western Canada it is a bit of an expensive venture.
Neither the Belgian(Montreal) or the CAA(Orlando) recognize Canadian experience towards their licences. So you are looking at 5 years experience needed.
I hope this helps anyone looking at going down this road.
Also, I don't know if I mentioned this in a previous post, all of your endorsements are probably garbage. Even if they have an EASA training number on them, you need to be licenced with in three years of taking your type training.
Cheers
Swede

Dash7fixr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash7fixr »

Hey Swede,
I am interested in getting the EASA conversion done. Any chance I can ask for a little assistance navigating these tricky waters? PM me

TMagnus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TMagnus »

I wrote my exams at ENA in Montreal and obtained my EASA B1 last month through the Netherlands.
Contact Jean Potvin for information.

Jean Potvin
Responsable Assurance Qualité / Quality Manager / EASA ingivilator
Direction des Études
jean.potvin@cegepmontpetit.ca
t 450 678-3561, poste 4247
c 514 207-1376
ena.cegepmontpetit

fixr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fixr »

Bringing this thread back to life to continue the refining of this process; I believe the aviation community would benefit greatly if there were a clear and concise guide on the TCAA-EASA conversion process!

Does anyone have any current info regarding this topic or has completed this recently? We'd all like to hear from you and your experience!

fixr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fixr »

Update: I recently contacted BCIT and was (not surprisingly) informed they are no longer certified to facilitate the EASA Part 66 Exams.

Still waiting on reply from ENA about the status of their exams. I also noticed that ENA is partnered with the Belgian Authority (BCAA) and WALLONIE AEROTRAINING NETWORK (WAN) which is a Part 147 ATO in Belgium. One issue I see is they are not approved to provide training for B1.3 (the license I am pursuing). And with ENA facilitating WAN exams, I'm curious if you can even write B1.3 exams through ENA. I have contacted them about this matter as well.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ForesterAME wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 pm
cman wrote:I have a M1.M2 a 737NG endorsement and I am approved for the FAA A&P exams

What institute did you deal with for this?

It is relatively easy to get your A&P license. The time off and expensive isn't that much. Im M1, M2 and several endorsements. I study for 3 months in my spare time at home drove down to Montana with my school deploma my AME license and copy of resume to show years of experience. Took to local FAA inspector in the morning to get approved to challenge exams by afternoon had written 1 of 3 online exams back the next day to do final 2 in the morning. afternoon was practical and oral exam. The drive from Calgary to Montana and back including exams was 4 days. All total with exams, hotel, food and gas cost less then a grand.

Return to “Maintenance”