New North Star Basler Accident (Number 3)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New North Star Basler Accident (Number 3)

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ I believe that might be the same guy..

I met a great guy - funny jokes, appealing personality, good work ethic - in training many years ago who was vegetized a few years later by an old cowboy captain in a northern crash with very similar circumstances to this accident.

Younger/new pilots: Your captain's 5, 10, 15000 hours ARE NOT a shield of invincibility. If you're not comfortable with how things are being done, speak up - it might well save your life.
---------- ADS -----------

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Yikes. Disgusting.

And they are so extremely lucky to be alive.

Interesting variation on the VFR into IMC accident category :roll:

I find this to be very interesting as well:
The investigation determined that during the 2 months before the occurrence, all the flights conducted by the captain had been in accordance with VFR. However, for more than 10% of the flights, the weather at destination was reported to be conducive to IMC. Additionally, approximately 35% of the flights were conducted in weather where the pilots would have lost visual reference to the ground at some point during the flight
Not so much the result, but the fact they went back and checked those things.

I remember some older topics here where questions were raised on 'how would they even know you were(n't) flying in IMC X months ago'. Looks like they have some resources after all....

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 am Is this the same Captain who shut down both engines by accident while taking off out of another reserve at night time?
Previously, on 21 June 2019, at approximately 0140 Eastern Daylight Time, a North Star Air DC3-TP67 aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from Fort Hope Airport (CYFH), Ontario. On board were 2 flight crew members, including the captain of the present occurrence, who was then acting as the PNF. The flight crew executed a forced landing on Eabamet Lake, Ontario.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 am Is this the same Captain who shut down both engines by accident while taking off out of another reserve at night time? It’s obvious he came from buffalo. Was he featured on ice pilots?
I remember there was a guy on the show that did a low flyby of a camp, a little too low and dinged a wingtip.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Is that captain still working for the company?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

digits_ wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:10 pm Is that captain still working for the company?
If he wrecks another airplane he gets a set of steak knives… I think.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

The “Meatball Mexican ILS approach” lives on in NWONT!

Steak knives you say^^^? Nah that’s ditty is worthy of a set of Ginsu knives at the very least!

In all seriousness, WTF is it going to take to stop this crap from happening? TC, where the F’ are you?!?

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I’m a bit confused. I read the accident report. It looked like the plane was IFR equipped. Why didn’t they just do the IFR approach? I get that they filed VFR and shouldn’t have been on top to start with but nobody would have known if they did the approach….

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

Ahh, good old NWO.

Fly VfR so you don’t have to take IFR gas, thus, more fuel/groceries and profit. Besides, less paperwork, less radio work, less Bs and more legs per day. The fact that TC doesn’t know this has been the status quo up there for 20+ years shows the level of incompetence of our government organizations to properly oversee it’s own regulatory structure. Wait until they find out no one from big trout to someones beaver EVER deicies anything during the shoulder seasons, or even worse, that R. Stewart’s (NWO’s worst offender) has a hair style that belongs back in the 80’s with his ego.

Good to see some things will never change, and that some cockroaches will never die.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Minimums wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm The fact that TC doesn’t know this has been the status quo up there for 20+ years shows the level of incompetence of our government organizations to properly oversee it’s own regulatory structure.
Don't know or don't care? I'm not convinced that anyone at TC gives enough of a shit to actually do their jobs

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

bcflyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:43 pm I’m a bit confused. I read the accident report. It looked like the plane was IFR equipped. Why didn’t they just do the IFR approach? I get that they filed VFR and shouldn’t have been on top to start with but nobody would have known if they did the approach….
It doesn't matter what approach you do if you are going to do a circling maneuver at 100' in low vis. That's just asking for it. Realize you screwed up and either try again or go home.

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

RockSalty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:45 pm
Minimums wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm The fact that TC doesn’t know this has been the status quo up there for 20+ years shows the level of incompetence of our government organizations to properly oversee it’s own regulatory structure.
Don't know or don't care? I'm not convinced that anyone at TC gives enough of a shit to actually do their jobs
Only until politics get involved, which up there, is not often.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

FL030 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 pm
bcflyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:43 pm I’m a bit confused. I read the accident report. It looked like the plane was IFR equipped. Why didn’t they just do the IFR approach? I get that they filed VFR and shouldn’t have been on top to start with but nobody would have known if they did the approach….
It doesn't matter what approach you do if you are going to do a circling maneuver at 100' in low vis. That's just asking for it. Realize you screwed up and either try again or go home.
My point was that if you did the IFR approach you wouldn’t need to be doing a circling maneuver at 100’ You’d be lined up straight in.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

bcflyer wrote:
FL030 wrote:
bcflyer wrote: I’m a bit confused. I read the accident report. It looked like the plane was IFR equipped. Why didn’t they just do the IFR approach? I get that they filed VFR and shouldn’t have been on top to start with but nobody would have known if they did the approach….
My point was that if you did the IFR approach you wouldn’t need to be doing a circling maneuver at 100’ You’d be lined up straight in.
Hahaha. This is so true!

Gonna bust through a cloud layer going up? Yeah. Bust through a cloud layer going down? Yeah. Since we are illegally IMC anyways and it’s uncontrolled.. do an instrument approach to secondary minimums since we are equipped and trained and current? Hell no!

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

bcflyer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 pm
FL030 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 pm
You are correct. If you have decided to do an illegal approach with the intention of getting it, you might as well do it in the most intelligent manner possible. Why circle at a very low altitude when you can do a straight in approach on a stable descent path. I guess sometimes, people want to go down through a hole near the airport in a hope that it will work out better.

Some pilots up north may even have made a habit of doing straight-in home-made GPS approaches back in the day in order to avoid the maneuvering required from situation of the published approaches all requiring circling, whether to the opposite direction for landing or a 45 degree heading change to line up. Perhaps that situation of only having circling approaches doesn't exist anymore.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Yeah, I couldn't get over that either. There was a perfectly good RNAV approach available to them. Legalities aside...WHY would you OBS the airport and go for the M-ILS approach and extremely low level manoeuvring??? Even if you're going to be doing illegal BS IFR without legal fuel, clearances, etc, presumably you'd still want to get on the ground safely.... And there was a usable RNAV approach to the runway they wanted. So.... what am I missing here???? And for 250 lbs they could have actually gone IFR legally! WHY!?!?!?!

On the rest of the report; horrifying and entirely unsurprising, from what I've seen/heard of them going back the last few years....everything is always VFR and git 'er done.

Luigi Vampa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luigi Vampa »

Minimums wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm Ahh, good old NWO.

Fly VfR so you don’t have to take IFR gas, thus, more fuel/groceries and profit. Besides, less paperwork, less radio work, less Bs and more legs per day. The fact that TC doesn’t know this has been the status quo up there for 20+ years shows the level of incompetence of our government organizations to properly oversee it’s own regulatory structure. Wait until they find out no one from big trout to someones beaver EVER deicies anything during the shoulder seasons, or even worse, that R. Stewart’s (NWO’s worst offender) has a hair style that belongs back in the 80’s with his ego.

Good to see some things will never change, and that some cockroaches will never die.
Haven't seen him since 2011. Is he still rocking that coiffe? Anyone got pics?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”