Passport stamp from Iraq? Would it cause an issue?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Passport stamp from Iraq? Would it cause an issue?

Post by Dronepiper »

Hey guys. I am a Canadian Citizen and I work for a 705 carrier. I have been looking at doing some more travelling in the next few months. I like travelling to places that other people wouldn’t ever think of going to.

I have been doing a lot of research on Erbil, Iraq. These days, it’s a very safe city in that region. There are a ton of youtube videos of bloggers who have visited with no issues, so I am not worried about the trip it self. There are actually direct flights to Erbil from Germany on lufthansa.

What concerns me is having an Iraq stamp in my passport. Has any one ever dealt with this issue while operating flights into the USA. I know the US really hates stamps from Iraq, Iran, syria, yemen, etc.

I know I would technically need to apply for a 10 year US visa entry waiver with any of those stamps in my passport. Has anyone had to do this as a pilot for a 705 carrier? I want to make sure I don’t lose my job because of a passport stamp.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Passport stamp from Iraq? Would it cause an issue?

Post by complexintentions »

Could try applying for a 2nd valid passport. I did that successfully in the past for a visa application, and it is not entirely unheard of for similar reasons as this. Used to be quite common for Westerners living in the Middle East to hold two concurrently so they could travel to Israel without facing sanctions from their ME host country. Not as prevalent since the Abrahamic Accords.

But if you're really worried that a passport stamp could cost you your job, perhaps a jaunt to Iraq isn't worth it. I've been to Erbil and it's hardly anything great.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think you should be able to get a second passport. I knew a pilot who got a second one just for that reason.

I don't know if the US has an actual problem with it though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

complexintentions wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:29 am Could try applying for a 2nd valid passport. I did that successfully in the past for a visa application, and it is not entirely unheard of for similar reasons as this. Used to be quite common for Westerners living in the Middle East to hold two concurrently so they could travel to Israel without facing sanctions from their ME host country. Not as prevalent since the Abrahamic Accords.
Israel stopped rubber-stamping visitors' passports many many years ago. Now it has a paper ticket system, and keeps electronic records of your visitor's visa.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

Just be ready to get a new passport. You can always try your chances and ask at the Iraqi border not to get your passport stamped (worked for me in other ME countries).

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

are you sure it’s only the stamp that’s the problem? What are you going to do any time you’re asked to list recent travel?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:23 am What concerns me is having an Iraq stamp in my passport. Has any one ever dealt with this issue while operating flights into the USA. I know the US really hates stamps from Iraq, Iran, syria, yemen, etc.
I doubt most immigration officers would even know what they look like.

I have a passport full of stamps with Arabic text on them in addition to a Visa for China and a bunch of Chinese entry/exit stamps. Normal part of my job - why would that raise issues?

No issue obtaining a US crew visa or entering the US.

Not sure why you'd want to travel - it's a nightmare. With the added 'bonus' of catching COVID like I did last week positioning home.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I'm not sure you need an entry waiver. Canada is a visa-exempt country. I think you're thinking of visa waiver countries/ESTA where you would have to apply for a visa if you visited certain countries, including Cuba. Canadians do not require ESTA.

The worst I can see happening is additional questioning at immigration, and probably denying you NEXUS/Global Entry. I've heard of people getting put on the selectee list (extra screening at TSA) after visiting Turkey. This was right around the start of the war in Syria. There are some legitimate reasons to visit Iraq, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, etc.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

RAIC would be a bigger concern, I know of guys that were in the Air Force that got airline jobs after and took forever to get a RAIC because they were in Afghanistan and Iraq… these guys would have had a higher security clearance than anyone in the RAIC system

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

If you enjoy being interrogated for hours by the Americans, theb go for it. If it’s ever caught or mentioned that you were in Iraq, big chance that someday you’ll be pulled aside for a few hours, and questioned about every single minute, in detail that you spent there, and every single person you interacted there with. Prepare to include addresses and phone numbers.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:42 am Israel stopped rubber-stamping visitors' passports many many years ago. Now it has a paper ticket system, and keeps electronic records of your visitor's visa.
"Many many?" Actually less than 10 years ago, 2014 rings a bell. Some of us have been expats a bit longer than that. :lol:

But irrelevant to the point that concurrent passports are still done on a case by case basis, just returned my "extra" one to be cancelled a few months ago once it served its purpose (visa issuance).

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

complexintentions wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:14 am
photofly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:42 am Israel stopped rubber-stamping visitors' passports many many years ago. Now it has a paper ticket system, and keeps electronic records of your visitor's visa.
"Many many?" Actually less than 10 years ago, 2014 rings a bell. Some of us have been expats a bit longer than that. :lol:
2013 according to this:

https://www.touristisrael.com/the-israe ... tamp/9747/

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Should be absolutely no issues

My birthplace is Iran on my passport. I have 0 issues going in and out of the USA multiple times a week in the 705 world. Heck, even for personal travel. There are sometimes bored guards who ask questions, but nothing serious (Like if I still hold my expired Iranian passport) which I don't.

I know guys who have been to Erbil flying 705, this was never an issue. Definitely go, beautiful city with lots of history!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Wouldn't there be a major difference in how you'd answer the question 'Why did you visit Iran?'

"I am an airline pilot and had to go there for work"

vs

"I really like the country and wanted to visit some cities there. I made some friends as well."

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

digits_ wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 am Wouldn't there be a major difference in how you'd answer the question 'Why did you visit Iran?'

"I am an airline pilot and had to go there for work"

vs

"I really like the country and wanted to visit some cities there. I made some friends as well."
Yes there would be.

The poster is asking about the consequences, no one can guarantee the poster that it’s a non issue. Yes, one may go for a while without its ugly head popping up, but there is a chance that it would.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:14 am But irrelevant to the point that concurrent passports are still done on a case by case basis, just returned my "extra" one to be cancelled a few months ago once it served its purpose (visa issuance).
That's a shame - multiple passports are extremely useful.

I have 3 valid passports - all perfectly legal.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

I had three valid Canadian passports for this reason. Now I’m down to two and the second passport expires next month. Then I will be down to just plain old one.

There are a few countries that aren’t friendly towards one another. Israel was one of those and I had an incident in Kuwait with an Israeli stamp that inspired me to get a second passport. Afterwards, I found out that many ME and North African countries aren’t friendly to one another and that inspired the third passport.

Return to “General Comments”