September GS

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skcollin
Rank 0
Rank 0

September GS

Post by Skcollin »

Hi all,

I imagine there are many of us who have gone through the entire process and are waiting to hear back with regard to GS next month and beyond. I’ve heard that it’s set to start on the 19th but was curious if anyone has heard back?

Thanks for any info.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Skcollin on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: September GS

Post by KenoraPilot »

Skcollin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm Hi all,

I imagine there are many of us who have gone through the entire process and are waiting to hear back with regard to GS next month and beyond. I’ve heard that it’s set to start on the 19th but was curious if anyone has heard back?

Thanks for any info.

Sincerely,
A zombified 703 operator
So far it sounds like only 1 GS in September 2022.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:51 pm
Skcollin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm Hi all,

Thanks for any info.

Sincerely,
A zombified 703 operator
So far it sounds like only 1 GS in September 2022.
Yes, because there is one starting August 29. It's one GS each 3 weeks

Skcollin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skcollin »

I got the call for Aug 29. Excited to start with Jazz, been a dream for a long time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

Skcollin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:05 pm I got the call for Aug 29. Excited to start with Jazz, been a dream for a long time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Congrats man! How long was it from sim eval to offer?

Skcollin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skcollin »

Skcollin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:05 pm I got the call for Aug 29. Excited to start with Jazz, been a dream for a long time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks buddy. Took 5 weeks from eval to offer. No news is good news!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

What kind of advice are you looking for?

Skcollin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skcollin »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm
How and what to prepare mostly. Maybe some foresight into my first few months on the line?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Skcollin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:46 pm
How and what to prepare mostly. Maybe some foresight into my first few months on the line?
Follow the training course, ask questions if you don't understand a system, and know your flow and procedures.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

If Jazz, has something like a QRH, make sure you know where to find quickly the malfunctions/informations you're looking for.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Skcollin wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:46 pm
Show up ready to learn, and with an open mind. Don't over prepare ahead of time (before class starts). Jazz has a fantastic spoonish fed training department. You will learn everything you need.

I would say the second most important document to know outside of your AOM/COM is the Collective Agreement. Read it, know it, follow it.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Biggest tip I can give regarding life & life style at the start of Jazz. Don't chase type, get to where you want to live, you can always fly any type later on down the line, but liking where you live is 1000% more important than AC type. Not all types are at every base, so figure out what types are where you'd like to live or at least have an easier commute.

Secondly, in the first 2 weeks the training coordinators will care about you and respond to your request and questions relatively quickly. Give them all the information you WANT ie: when you want to go home on time off from course, where you'd like to do training (YVR or YYZ for Q400, you can always request), request a sim partner if you know someone in your class or you get along well with someone in particular etc. Asking ahead of time and being proactive about all aspects will help you a lot. After 2 weeks the training coordinators are onto the next class and its more difficult to get a hold of them.

Third, follow the training schedule. Don't jump ahead. Flows/SOP calls and Drills! Jazz has hired you, they want you to be successful and are not out to trick or try and fail you...that would cost them money. You have a lot of resources and the training department is very good at what they do. If you have questions ask. If you're having trouble, let your trainer know. Be proactive again vs getting behind and it getting out of control. Ask for extra help if you need it & you're TWO CREW, so help your partner out as much as you can. You pass together and you fail together.

Last edited by KenoraPilot on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skcollin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skcollin »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:12 pm Biggest tip I can give regarding life & life style at the start of Jazz. Don't chase type, get to where you want to live, you can always fly any time later on down the line, but liking where you live is 1000% more important than AC type. Not all types are at every base, so figure out what types are where you'd like to live or at least have an easier commute.

Secondly, in the first 2 weeks the training coordinators will care about you and respond to your request and questions relatively quickly. Give them all the information you WANT ie: when you want to go home on time off from course, where you'd like to do training (YVR or YYZ for Q400, you can always request), request a sim partner if you know someone in your class or you get along well with someone in particular etc. Asking ahead of time and being proactive about all aspects will help you a lot. After 2 weeks the training coordinators are onto the next class and its more difficult to get a hold of them.

Third, follow the training schedule. Don't jump ahead. Flows/SOP calls and Drills! Jazz has hired you, they want you to be successful and are not out to trick or try and fail you...that would cost them money. You have a lot of resources and the training department is very good at what they do. If you have questions ask. If you're having trouble, let your trainer know. Be proactive again vs getting behind and it getting out of control. Ask for extra help if you need it & you're TWO CREW, so help your partner out as much as you can. You pass together and you fail together.
Really appreciate this.

Exactive22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Exactive22 »

Has anyone who is in the hiring pool got an update for September?
And are most hires drawn from a pool like the one I was put in?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Last edited by Exactive22 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Exactive22 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:25 pm Has anyone who is in the hiring pool got an update for September?
And are most hires drawn from a pool like the one I was put in?

Thanks for the info in advance.
What’s your experience ?

Exactive22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Exactive22 »

Experience is 2000hs+, a year of 703, instruction and ATPL with 1600 PIC time. Wondering how likely it is if they will off a job in the near future or if it's rather hopeless given the current training situation.
Thanks

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

With that experience why would you go to jazz. Apply to flair or cargojet. You will make double.

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:13 am With that experience why would you go to jazz. Apply to flair or cargojet. You will make double.
Exactly, and within a few months you can even make the move to AC ahead of most guys at Jazz.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

tango308 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32 am
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:13 am With that experience why would you go to jazz. Apply to flair or cargojet. You will make double.
Exactly, and within a few months you can even make the move to AC ahead of most guys at Jazz.
The only Part 705 FO position currently being offered at ‘double’ Jazz FO pay is Morningstar 757 FO. Hopefully that will change with other carriers offering increased entry level pay to well qualified candidates.

As for AC, just be aware that OTS are competing with ROC (the rest of Canada). The Jazz pathway is a 90% certainty once AC application qualification requirements are met.

Individual choices. No wrong answers. But certainly some not insignificant short term financial implications based on the path chosen. Jazz DEC success mitigates some of those disparities.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

rudder wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:42 am
tango308 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32 am
The only Part 705 FO position currently being offered at ‘double’ Jazz FO pay is Morningstar 757 FO. Hopefully that will change with other carriers offering increased entry level pay to well qualified candidates.

As for AC, just be aware that OTS are competing with ROC (the rest of Canada). The Jazz pathway is a 90% certainty once AC application qualification requirements are met.

Individual choices. No wrong answers. But certainly some not insignificant short term financial implications based on the path chosen. Jazz DEC success mitigates some of those disparities.
The jazz pathway is extremely slow at the moment, with no guidance being provided by the union or company if obligations are being met. All they say is that we will see at the end of the year. However, it does not really seem to be of concern to the union: All are senior pilots, with a solid pension, and no plans for AC.
Moral is low, with many concerned that the %60 from Jazz will not be honoured.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”