Ground Collision Due to Stuck Throttle

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Ground Collision Due to Stuck Throttle

Post by pelmet »

I have to admit, this is a strange aircraft modification and I have trouble picturing it.........

C-ILLZ, an Aeroprakt 22LS advanced ultralight operated by Flying Air Club Inc., was preparing for
flight on Apron 1 at Pitt Meadows (CYPK), B.C with 1 flight instructor and 1 student onboard.
Immediately after engine start, the engine speed rapidly increased and the aircraft launched
forward. The pilot attempted to pull back on the throttle to reduce the engine power, but the throttle
could not be moved. The pilot manipulated the rudder and the brakes before control was lost and
the aircraft collided with a parked aircraft C-GYPN, a Cessna 172N operated by Island Coastal
Aviation Inc. C-GYPN was not operating at the time and there were no occupants onboard. The
pilot reported a minor injury while the passenger was uninjured. Both aircraft were substantially
damaged.

C-ILLZ was equipped with a modified hand control that combines the rudder, brake and throttle
controls on 1 hand lever. After shutdown and egress from the aircraft, the pilot confirmed the
throttle functioned normally as it did during the preflight checks. During a previous flight on 5 July
2022 with the same aircraft, the pilot experienced a temporarily stuck throttle in-flight that self-
corrected and, after a normal landing, no fault could be identified.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Ground Collision Due to Stuck Throttle

Post by rookiepilot »

Its called, “Mixture”

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The modified hand control sounds like an adaptation for someone without use of their legs, possibly a wheelchair-user.
Here's a still-shot showing the lever. It moves fore-aft for throttle and left-right for rudder.
Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 8.45.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 8.45.01 PM.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1170 times
From this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-d-IFwGq8
The brake is a t-bar under the end of the throttle lever, in the photograph you can see the master cylinder that rides under the throttle lever.
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:31 pm Its called, “Mixture”
According to Wikipedia the accident airplane type has a Rotax engine, which I believe doesn't have a mixture control. Switching off the mags might have worked.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Most of the 912 installations don’t have a mixture control, and you turn off the engine with the mags. Which always sounds like someone stopped it with a wrench.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I wonder if this was the same guy who was offering cheap pilot's licenses from Langley? Maybe this will ground him permanently...

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”